Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Audi Ur-Quattro . . .

Audi Ur-Quattro . . .

. . . in Florida:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Audi's flagship at the time. Rare car in any condition --- 664 imported between '83 and '86. Never seen one in white. (Figures. Florida.)
    Condition looks good in the photos. Check out the interior.

Rick Kreiskott

We Can Be Heroes

Probably about right on the price if it's as good as described. The problem with the ur quattro as far as values go, is the car never had widespread popularity. The reason they only sold 600 some cars in the US is because that’s how many buyers they were able to find. They pulled it from the US/Canada market because nobody was buying them (it continued to sell in Europe until 1993). The car was entirely handbuilt so it was extremely expensive when new ($35,000 when it was introduced here in '82). One had to be pretty hardcore to buy a quattro when for about the same money you could have a mainstream sports car like the 911SC or Ferrari 308GTB (or 2 brand new Corvettes).

Since most cars were sold in snow States, there probably aren’t 300 left due to rust and normal attrition. But the pool of potential buyers today is equally small, and the prices reflect that. Many of the guys I know with urq’s own 2 or 3 or 4 of them.

There has been lots of interest in the ur quattros in the motoring press over the past few years and the car has almost mythical status. I can attest to the fact that when you show up at a stage rally with one of these cars, it’s pretty much like the second coming of Christ. There are literally gasps and people who just want to stand there and listen to the car run!

If you can find a good-running example, it is a highly enjoyable car to drive - second only to the 911 in my book in that hard to describe man-machine connection category.

Curt, did they make any of the SWB cars for the street or were they exclusively rally cars?
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Ur-Quattro Calling . . . .

Curt . . .

I've been fascinated by Quattros ever since I first heard about them, since way WAY back. We've had 3 Audis in our family . . . a 2.8 A4, a 225hp TT, and Junior's first car --- a 90 20v sedan. All Quattros.

I've never driven the original, though. But I remember. Tried to buy Vasek Polak's old red car for YEARS, back when it was sitting derelict out in Hermosa . . . but never got anywhere. After he died --- it disappeared. Still want one though. Still look.

The red car in your photos looks good, with Euro bumpers, etc. Is this car original or was it modified that way?

Rick Kreiskott

We Can Be Heroes

Sport Quattro . . .

Saw a dark green one, a few years back, at a Dealer in the East Bay. 'Display only.' Only a couple hundred built for homologation then ---- pfffft!

Not pretty . . . but the performance . . .

http://www.supercars.net/cars/103.html

Rick Kreiskott
    Attached Images Attached Images

We Can Be Heroes

Those SWB cars are ridiculously cool. How much do they change hands for?
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Sport Quattro Price Point . . .

. . . .:

http://www.carclassic.com/marque.asp?Marque=Audi

I'm sure pricing still comes down to mileage and condition, but these cars were picked-up by people who knew what they were, then treasured. So I would think that anything that gets offered will be a rare occurrence, with an appropriate premium.

One thing I vividly remember from the one Sport Quattro that I'd seen was how thrown-together the car looked, especially under the hood. Flappy body panels, blobby welds, half-assed wiring, glue and paint and tape showing everywhere . . . nothing to show off at a Concours.

Wonderful.

Rick Kreiskott

We Can Be Heroes

. . . and Here's Another . .

. . . at 70k Euros -- ~$95k:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carrevi...t_quattro.html

Rick Kreiskott

We Can Be Heroes

I'd be shocked if a Sport were available today for under $100K. The one's I've seen trade hands were more like the first example at $200K+. Only 164 were sold to customers. Never sold by Audi in the USA, although several found their way here.

My '81 may be the first quattro in the US. It was brought in before they were sold here. It is a German-spec car brought in by a dealer in 1981. It was never converted to US specs, but was somehow issued a valid Michigan title in 1982. It was later built into sort of a TSD Rally car by Guy Light and I've continued on with more Werks rally pieces.

BTW: Rick Cabell on the S Reg here used to import and convert grey-market quattros back in the day. I think he converted 35-40 of them.

Went looking and found two SWB Sports on Anamera, an '85 for €5,500 (may be a SWB clone) and an '86 low mileage, price-on-request beauty.
    These things always seemed brutal devices but I love 'em. Like a Scirroco on steroids.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT