Thread: How is Back Edge of Fender Structured?

Scope Creep Poster Child

How is Back Edge of Fender Structured?

My driver's side fender is not original to the car, and is fit so that the pointy part at the top, back edge, comes about 4m from the door at that point and is flush with the back side of the A pillar. The gap below (where the gap is vertical) is 6MM, so the fender needs to go back 2mm, and 2mm needs to be removed from the top back part of the fender. I'm not sure how the fender is structured at the trailing egde. If I file away the unwnated material, what is revealed and how is that secured? My intent is to get the fender profiled correctly, have a body shop do whatever is required to finish the edge, remount the fender, and have the fender painted.

Mostly, I'd like to clearly understand what is happening there before I talk to the body guy. Thanks in advance for any insight!
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

In my limited experience, the sharply pointed rearmost tip of the fender is very, very thin, and any grinding on it may well cut thru the metal and split it. Ask me how I know, Proceed with caution!
    Mike O'Meara
    Reg #1043
    72 911T
    56,59 356s gone
    67,68 912s gone

Scope Creep Poster Child
    So, when you went through the metal what did you see? Is the back edge simply hemmed, or is there lead in there? Is there a third layer in the middle? How did you fill the void is sounds like you created?
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

When I got the fender it appeared as if some grinding had been done to the rearmost edge. The outer sheet metal wraps around an internal piece, and the grinding had cut thru the outer trailing edge, revealing three pieces of metal - the outer skin, the internal sandwiched metal, and the under side of the folded over outer skin. Sort of like folding a piece of bread around a slice of cheese, then cutting the bread lengthwise - you see the edges of the bread, top and bottom, and the slice of cheese in between. I didn't repair it correctly, and it shows. I just used filler, but the correct way, I believe, would be to use lead. I had used lead in a number of other areas of the car but when I discovered this issue I was exhausted, and this cut corner stayed cut, if you will. The metal is so thin I'm afraid a spot weld attempt would just burn thru the edges you're trying to reunite. Others know far more than me, but this is my personal experience. HTH
    Mike O'Meara
    Reg #1043
    72 911T
    56,59 356s gone
    67,68 912s gone

Scope Creep Poster Child
    Mike-
    Thanks so much! That is exactly what I was looking for.
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab