Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: store a crankshaft

store a crankshaft

What is the preferred method to storing a 911 crankshaft? Hose it down with WD-40, wrap in newspaper and then saran wrap? Thanks for your thoughts.
    - Neil
    '67 911S (Ol' Ivory)
    '82 Hewlett Packard 34C
    Early 911S Registry # 512

Fogging oil is probably better than WD-40. Oil it up and but in a plastic bag, get as much air out as possible and tie it up. If you have some dessicant packets, even better.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

I would not use plastic: condensation.

How about 30 weight oil and wax paper.
    Robert Williams
    911T
    Member #1611

Quote Originally Posted by Neil '67 911S View Post
    What is the preferred method to storing a 911 crankshaft? Hose it down with WD-40, wrap in newspaper and then saran wrap? Thanks for your thoughts.
    Neil, the BEST method is to immerse the SOB entirely below the surface of a container of clean motor oil, pickled away from oxygen. If that is impractical, get yourself a can of LPS IV spray-on corrosion inhibitor or spray-on cosmoline, and spray the entire crank, every nook and cranny and oil passage, liberally with three or four coats.

I have a 66mm crank that I had polished. Coated it with WD40 for a very short term storage, and it has RUST spots on the journals. Took it to be micropolished and still has RUST spots. It will have the journals turned down to take NASCAR bearings but I learned a lesson, you can't be too careful in preventing corrosion unless you want a lamp base.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Damn, I need to check my crank when I get home! FWIW, my crank is still in the same 4 mil poly bag it came shipped in from Marine Crank. I will say that whatever oil they coated it in is pretty thick and gooey...
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Red face crank storage

What about a long block engine case with the crank inside? The engine is in a warm garage for three years waiting for me to make it into a hot rod engine. It is in a wood box and covered with blankets and car covers. Should I be concerned about rust on the crank or other interior parts? Regards Chris Early S Reg.#205

My engine builder Neil Bainbridge uses Tectyl products, in this case ML. Completely coats for storage then hot washes away when ready to use.

cheers, Mike
    Member#1664
    1972 911 S/RSR to Martini Prototype specification
    http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15294

IMO, WD-40 is one of the great marketing scams---probably 99% evaporative solvents and 1% oil....I wouldn't waste my money........The suggestion regarding cosmoline is right on.........................

Mike, thanks for your suggestion. Despite being a Valvoline product, it would seem that Tectyl ML might only be available in the US. I had heard of it being used to spray in inaccessible panels prone to rust (such as Porsche inner rockers, entire Land Rovers, etc.)

John and Sabby, there are several Cosmoline products.

http://www.schafco.com/cosmoline.asp

Cosmoline appears to do what WD-40 claims to do (in addition to displacing water). Rust Veto seems to be the waxy stuff that they used to spray new cars with back in the 60s. Weathershed seems to be the top of the line stuff. Unfortunately, it seems that Cosmoline sells aerosols only by the case.

This outfit sells it by the can for $12.00 per aerosol can.

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....11.95~~~~~~~F#

Seems like Weathershed might be the best choice to for rust prevention valuable part storage. Thoughts?

Thanks!
    - Neil
    '67 911S (Ol' Ivory)
    '82 Hewlett Packard 34C
    Early 911S Registry # 512

Whatever you wind up treating it with, do NOT wrap it in newsprint. The paper will absorb and hold moisture usually at the points where the shaft rests on it. I've seen a variety of pieces over the years stored long term in newsprint with enough rust to cause pitting.