Thread: Marchal Headlamps

Question Marchal Headlamps

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and the Porsche world in general. I come to it looking for information on Marchal lamps and how they relate to Porsche cars.

Back in the 60s and 70s my grandmother had a small motorcycle shop in our home town. My uncle, who has now passed away, brought in a bunch of Marchal lamps, some for his Porsche, and others to sell for cars and maybe even motorcycles - we have all shapes and sizes. My grandmother is getting on in years and has a full basement of new old stock Yamaha parts and these lamps. We don't know what they are for, exactly, and as we're selling things off, bit by bit, would like to know where we should market them, how much they are worth, etc etc.

I am sure there are folks on here that know about Marchal lamps, and information on the web seems very scarce - at least where our lamp models are concerned - so I am hoping to find a bit of help here.

Right now we're looking at a lamp with a codif 612 60603. It's 5.75 inches in diameter, iode, and has a lot of other numbers on the glass. I'll attach a photo. We have found 6 of them so far in the basement, there could be more.

Here are all the numbers:

All on the glass: A 14522 K 4535 IGM 5167 HR IODE IR TP 6 SP HR E2 6

On the back sticker: 09 73 (does this denote the year it was made?) CODIF 612 60603 BC 15239/222

Does anyone recognise this lamp? Or know of anyone who would that I can get in touch with? Any information would be terrific.

Many thanks,
    Holly
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Holly, if you search (using search bar above) for "Marchal" you should find a bit of info.
    See here http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...earchid=552200

Try also "Amplilux" here

The 09 73 does seem to denote the date code, of Sep 73.
    I had some Marchal Amplilux that I was going to use in my car, but decided eventually to go a different path. Sold them to a Ferrari guy (Ferrari's also used amplilux's). My ad might still be in search archives. They sold for about $500 but they may not have been the same lights as you show here. Other experts will probably chime in. Best of luck.
    Karl.
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

Hi Karl,

Thanks for your post. Unfortunately your links didn't work for me. :-\

I did search Marchal lamps on here before posting, but didn't find anything that pertained to these lights or the others that I have.

The Ampilux seem to be relatively easy to find information on, at least comparatively. And like you say, they also seem to fetch a decent price. I'm kind of wishing I had boxes of those...

About the date code - I guessed the same as you, September 1973. However, some of the other lamps are coded 20 73 and 16 73. We don't have that many months in the year! Hopefully someone knows the answer to this mystery.

These guys know a thing or two about headlights, maybe they can help.

http://www.vintage-headlamp-restoration.com/

Halfway down the page, there`s a link to Marchal info.

Regards, Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Matchless View Post
    Hi Karl,

Thanks for your post. Unfortunately your links didn't work for me. :-\

I did search Marchal lamps on here before posting, but didn't find anything that pertained to these lights or the others that I have.

The Ampilux seem to be relatively easy to find information on, at least comparatively. And like you say, they also seem to fetch a decent price. I'm kind of wishing I had boxes of those...

About the date code - I guessed the same as you, September 1973. However, some of the other lamps are coded 20 73 and 16 73. We don't have that many months in the year! Hopefully someone knows the answer to this mystery.
    They could / I think they are week numbers.

Richard

Ok Holly. Time to call in the cavalry
    Email Daniel Stern and ask him ... he's a good guy and is Mister Light.
    dastern "at" torque "dot" net

http://www.danielsternlighting.com
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

Hi guys, thanks for your messages.

Mike, I have seen that site and unfortunately the lights there don't match anything I have. However, I'm going to send them an email to see if they know what I've got.

Richard, yes, I wondered if it might be a week reference rather than month. Make sense - thanks.

And Karl, I emailed Daniel about five days ago asking about my lamps and no reply. :-/ I hope he is able to get back to me at some point because he seems to be 'the' guy to go to, like you say.

If my lamps were made in 1973 would they have been made for a 1973 Porsche? Perhaps I should be looking up lamps for Citroens as well? Is 5.75 inches (too) small for a headlamp diameter?

Quote Originally Posted by Matchless View Post
    If my lamps were made in 1973 would they have been made for a 1973 Porsche? Perhaps I should be looking up lamps for Citroens as well? Is 5.75 inches (too) small for a headlamp diameter?
    These headlights are aftermarket replacement low beams for a four headlight car from the era. They would fit a Ferrari Daytona, Jensen Interceptor, Ford Capri, Triumph Dolomite or any number of cars that had four headlights back then, but no Porsches.

If you had the high beams to go with them, it would make a nice set.
    1968 911 #11830241
    Early S Registry #810
    R Gruppe #461