Thread: 72 911 being stripped- ever seen numbers like this???

72 911 being stripped- ever seen numbers like this???

Hi,

We are in the process of stripping a 72 911 which is due to become a race car. The shell is on the rotisserie and the original underseal is starting to be removed, before the shell is blasted.

Anyway on removing some of the underseal a few numbers have become apparent. I can only assume the panels were numbered? Anyone seen this before.

This "56" is between the rear seat pans.

Then a "76" on the lower section of the Right hand rear inner wing.

There is also signs of another "76" on the other inner wing but it not as clear.

These numbers do not relate to the vin or build numbers?

Thanks

Alan

Alan that "7" is how the Germans make a "1."

I have never seen anything like it, this belongs in the "Ghosts of the Restoration" thread!
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

I think I just read in an old issue of Excellence that when they were building 356s, they made panels and numbered them so that they were at stations for a given car - not connected with the VIN or anything, more like a daily group.

Apparently wasn't impossible to have a couple of the panels from neighboring cars switched, either (e.g. your car is 17, but had some 16 panels on it and 16 and some 17s)

Cool - great to photo and document.

i have found similar numbers in several places on my 71
    1982 PCA club racing #372 D-Stock
    Registry #1595

Here is one example - this is looking down the longitudinal towards the torsion bar tube.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1982 PCA club racing #372 D-Stock
    Registry #1595

356 sheet-metal like doors, hoods and boots (trunk) were all stamped with the car's last 3 digits of the ID.
    The number under the dash pad is a control number. It also appears on the lower dash behind the pad. It has no bearing on the serial number except to prove a car is what it is claimed to be. This is handy when you are trying to validate a car's authenticity as is so important on high end models like the 911 RS. (although cases of numbers being moved from one shell to another have been reported)

Only the factory knows the control numbers and will not divulge any information other than a "yes" or "no" when you provide the car's serial number and control number. "Yes" if it is correct. "No" if it isn't.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111