Thread: 71 rear sway bar confusion

71 rear sway bar confusion

I'm a little mixed up about how the rear sway bar on my 71 is supposed to be installed. Can anyone tell me, for sure, that the left rear sway bar mount on the body is integral with the fuel pump console? I think that this was a unique feature for the 1971 models. It would be really great if someone with factory sway bars in a 71 could post a photo of the rear sway bar installation.

Thank you.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

I've got Weltmeister bars but they use the stock mounts. Yes, I can confirm that the fuel pump is held on by a hose-clamp to a protrusion from the sheet metal mount.

It is not fun trying to replace that pump, either.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

71 rear sway bar confusion

A little time with the parts book today will answer your question Tom. All early cars and up through 71 right side only, used the same console, 901-501-180-20. This console has the hole in the center like the one shown on my install thread. 71 only, used a one piece pump and sway bar mount, 911-501-670-00. In 72 the pump mount and sway bar mount became two separate pieces, 911-501-023-01 for the pump mount, and 911-501-180-00 for the sway bar consoles which were the same both sides. In fact I've had to cut off the pump mount on a late car in order to weld on new sway bar mounts, then weld the pump mount back on. I've just never had to do that yet on a 71 which was why I didn't know what they had for a pump /bar mount. Now we both know
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    A little time with the parts book today will answer your question Tom. All early cars and up through 71 right side only, used the same console, 901-501-180-20. This console has the hole in the center like the one shown on my install thread. 71 only, used a one piece pump and sway bar mount, 911-501-670-00. In 72 the pump mount and sway bar mount became two separate pieces, 911-501-023-01 for the pump mount, and 911-501-180-00 for the sway bar consoles which were the same both sides. In fact I've had to cut off the pump mount on a late car in order to weld on new sway bar mounts, then weld the pump mount back on. I've just never had to do that yet on a 71 which was why I didn't know what they had for a pump /bar mount. Now we both know
    I think you're right, Ed. Yet another quirk of the 2.2 cars.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA