Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green Gauges Restored by North Hollywood

Green Gauges Restored by North Hollywood

Wow.

$1076 including shipping to the East Coast from North Hollywood.

Wow.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

It is REALLY hard to take photos of these with all the angles and reflections. The photos don't really do them justice. Well, the photo does show my fingerprint nicely.

A few notes:

Gauge bodies were soda blasted. They took precautions to protect the blue ink date stamps on the back.

Clock is quartz, in the original housing, instinguishable from my spare mechanical clock, except without the crud.

All bezels were rechromed.

New rubber rings. These are NLA from Porsche I think, although somebody may have reproduced them. I'll upload the correct size chart.

Tach got a new board and movement so it will work with (hidden) CDI.

Temperature gauge was converted to LWB. I had some significant heartburn over this, insofar as I have a new SWB sender which was like $140 a few years ago. But the SWB movement wasn't able to be repaired accurately. Also, the SWB sender is 100-200 ohms full scale. The LWB is 18-1000 ohms. The LWB is a LOT more accurate for this reason. So I'm stuck having to remove the new sender for show, which means making sure I don't drip oil all over the back of the engine. . . I guess it's a small price to pay for a concours car you can actually DRIVE and oil temp is about the second most important gauge indication there is (the first being oil pressure). A new sender was supplied, these are cheap.

Speedo was reset to zero which seemed fitting given the level of restoration and the fact that it had long ago exceeded the mechanical limits.

Pointers were painted.

All bulbs and miscellaneous hardware were replaced.

To say that I am pleased is an understatement, I'm blown away by how nice these look. Not really that expensive if you consider the amount and quality of the work, plus the fact that the gauges are something you can't help looking at!

I would like to extend personal thanks to Darryl Deppe, who was nice enough to correspond with me about this job. It was his guidance that convinced me to send everything to NH Speedo to be overhauled and MAN was it good advice.

Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Beautiful John, just beautiful.

I was looking at my gauges the other day wishing they didn't have rust in the black rims between the chrome and the glass.
    Rich
    1966 911 #303872
    ES#1197
    RG#478

I also had my my plain 1970 911T guages rebuilt by North Hollywood with an addtion or two. Very happy.

Added a voltmeter where the low fuel light went. Added oil pressure guage where the brake light went.

eric

Beyond lovely, John.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

I just had them do the quartz conversion on my clock for my 68. They do great work.

Wink

A question sir: is the quartz conversion a replacement of the workings of the clock, and replacement with a modern inside ? Does it still work on the car battery or can one put a AA battery ?
    And lastly, roughly how much did the conversion cost, if i may ?
    many thanks

ps green instruments look absolutely stunning, am "green" with envy
    Paul

1969 ex-South African RHD Tangerine 911T . 1970 ex-Southern Californian LHD Conda 911T 1955 Series 1 86" Land Rover (original Australian CKD … very slowly re-building) 1987 W124 230e
    (long term paid up member)

question, is that one rusty screw? and was there not paint on the screws for tamper/locking? Looks great!!

Quote Originally Posted by pgxif View Post
    A question sir: is the quartz conversion a replacement of the workings of the clock, and replacement with a modern inside ? Does it still work on the car battery or can one put a AA battery ?
    And lastly, roughly how much did the conversion cost, if i may ?
    many thanks

ps green instruments look absolutely stunning, am "green" with envy
    The quartz conversion is still connected in the original manner and requires the car's battery to operate. All factory connectors remain the same. As mentioned, they also dab each screw with a unique paint so the nuts do not come loose and it notes any tampering should it need to be returned for its' guarantee. Cost was $200 with cleaning and detailing of the gauge.

And thank you all for supporting one of our advertisers in the Esses...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100