Thread: Bringing back old chrome from the dead

Bringing back old chrome from the dead

Could anyone share their 'secret tip' (if such a thing exists!) for reinvigorating old chrome work, whether product or technique?

Bright chrome plating as we know it consists of polished nickel plating followed by the actual "chrome" plating (which is essentially clear).On automobiles this is usually applied over a steel, cast metal or brass substrate. The best chrome plating includes a copper "strike" or "coat" under the nickel.
    The substrate can oxidize, thus we see the rust and pits emerging through the plated surface...This can't really be reversed. I generally go over the surface with 0000 steel wool followed by wax to seal it. If the actual surface of the chrome has some scuffs and light scratches, they can be buffed with some fine automotive polishing compound using a machine polisher, followed by wax. Don't expect miracles as the actual chrome surface can be pretty hard.......I'm sure others have some techniques that have worked well for them.

This may sound like Vodoo and mysterious black magic, ( I know that was my reaction when an Old-Timer mentioned it to me years & years ago ) but here's what really works well if wer're just talking light pitting and corrosion: Loosely wad a piece of aluminum foil into a golfball sized pad,make sure that your chrome-plated piece is absolutely free from dust, dirt and any loose, possibly abrasive matter, and rub with the alum-foil.

The results will amaze you. Straight back-and-forth motion as opposed to circular rubbing works best. If necessary spray a little WD-40 on the surface requiring clean-up and then wipe clean.

For heavy pitting that has eaten through the plating.....re-plating will be the only solution.

Good Luck
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Thanks guys, just what i was looking for - time to raid the kitchen draw!

Didn't mythbusters do an episode on this?
    1968 911S 30K miles
    2006 Saturn Ion DD
    1988 Beretta GT
    1981 5-Ton Chevy stake-bed

Air goes in and out, blood goes round and round, any variation of this is a bad thing.