Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10% ethanol blend update?

10% ethanol blend update?

Well, it looks like the gas stations in northern Nevada outside of Reno are now using Ethanol in their fuel blends. The few holdouts in Carson city and Gardnerville have dried up, but I'm on the lookout. I was carousing the archives on this subject and it looks like the last and only discussions were around 2004 to 2006. There are some thread links leading to some Arco and other site reccommendations, but I was curious if anyone had any updated information on this subject? There were concerns of the hoses and lines eroding prematurely and valve guides didintegrating as well. How have engines been holding up in California and other states over the last 4 to 6 years?
    There was a reccommendation to frequently change the fuel filter? what is considered frequent? Annually, semi- annually, every 6000 miles, etc? Just curious as to what is going on.
    All the best,
    Scott

The only option for both of my cars since 2005 has been 10% blend. No issues have shown up that I've noticed other than gas doesn't smell like gas anymore...
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Scope Creep Poster Child
    No issues so far here in Oregon, where 10% has been mandated for a couple of years. The biggest pain is if you are using a fiberglass tank (like my old Ducati). Not a 911 problem, though.
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

In California you're never sure whether you are getting it or not, but I suspect that we are. Despite predictions of rubber deterioration and other evils I've had zero problems so far with my 74.
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara
    74 911 coupe. 2.7 redone by Competition Engineering; ported to 36mm, shuffle-pinned, boat-tailed, Elgin mod-S cams, J&E 9.5's, PMO's.
    73 Targa (much beloved, sold and off to a fine new home in San Francisco)

member #1515
    we've had a minimum of 10% in Texas for a few years and I've had no problems.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

That's encouraging! Sweet.

The initial concerns and (some) problems were when ethanol was first introduced and were mainly due to the initial use cleaning the tank and fuel lines a bit, causing clogged filters. This is much like the problems we had in the army when we switched from diesel in the trucks to JP8 (jet fuel). Went through 3 filters on my truck before it quit clogging them.

Anytime you introduce a solvent (like ethanol) into the fuel system you can get some filter issues. Just keep an eye on the fuel filters and change out as needed.

Ethanol is also good at getting gasoline and water to "play nice", but if you have a lot of water in the tank it can cause problems. A little water (like from winter storage) is best handled by making sure the tank is filled with good gas and adding a bottle of rubbing alcohol to mix the water into the gas. Too much water and you need to drain the tank. If you have a steel tank this is a larger problem and can be prevented by coating the tank inside with an approved sealer.
    1968 911S 30K miles
    2006 Saturn Ion DD
    1988 Beretta GT
    1981 5-Ton Chevy stake-bed

Air goes in and out, blood goes round and round, any variation of this is a bad thing.

"Shelf Life" has gone to hell in a handbasket.
    I don't keep it in any of my "sitting cars" very long. None of my motorycles have it in them. CAM 2 or Sunoco. That can sit a year and still smell "N I C E"!

Per Scott's note, fiberglass tanks will play heck with it. There is a liner made for this application but if I had an old bevel Duck (like I used to 750-S x 2) it would have nothing but racing fuel in it anyway.

Ethanol is actually worse on the environment than the oxygenated product we used to get.
    FWIW; out in the "sticks" we still have at least one supplier that doesn't get ethanol enhanced fuel.
    Ethanol is added at the final destination (fuel depots) as it cannot be pumped through the various pipelines. Why? It's corrosive. So, tanker trucks are required to haul the stuff to the final destination city for the mix to take place.

Our government officials are so smart.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

For CIS cars the reccomendation is to run Stabil with all fillups.
    Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

Yeah dont leave it sit for more than a month or youll be rebuilding the carbs.Ive gotfuelstabilizer in it now we'll see if that helps.Im going to make it a daily driver again so that should help. Steve