Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re-Curve Dizzy

Re-Curve Dizzy

I need to re-curve a Bosch 006 (911E) to an 007 (S) spec.

Does anyone know a supplier of springs, weights etc?

Thanks

Talk to Ed Fall at Vintage Werks.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

I think I read in Esses that Kundensport has a dizzy dyno. If so they likely have the parts.
    Chad
    Early S member #1110
    '71 911 T Targa, 2.7 RS spec, sport seats "Milt"
    '90 928 S4, 37K mi.,grand prix white, cashmere "Bridget"

Aaron at Kundensport can do it.
    Steve Weiner at Rennsport Systems can do it.
    And I can do it.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

You may want to check the manual, 'cus I believe the curve for E and S are the same.

Rob
    356Robo
    64 C Coupe #218448(sold)
    70T Targa #9110110416(sold)

Rob is correct. The curve for a 2.4 S is the same as a 2.4E and 2.4T. Only the ignition cut-out (redline) is different. However, the curve on the RS is different than the S, E, and T.

I can not verify with 100% accuracy that the 2.0 or 2.2 curves are the same, but I believe they would be for E and S and the non-mfi T is different.

It is still a good practice to have it gone through if you have no history on last rebuild.

I put the curves that have been published for the 2.0 to 2.7RS on this post.

Olin
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Curves

I must admit to being a bit dumb as I originally read the graph as two different curves. I now assume that the two lines are tolerances (Doh!).

I am still interested to source parts, however, as it useful to be able to make changes.

Thanks

001 and 002 Dizzies

I also have some issues with an '002' dizzy that I am trying to solve.

This dizzy is fitted to a 1967 'S' and at around 4-5000rpm there is a bad flatspot and the car just doesn't run well.

On a chassis dyno it just doesn't run well enough to set up the car.

The dizzy appears to be in good condition but when we run it up on a dizzy tester it vibrates very badly at around 2000-2500 rpm when it smooths out a little. there is also evidence of points bounce at around 3250rpm. (Distributor speed)

We checked the dizzy in a lathe and the run out of the shaft is less than 0.004" TIR, which I would think is OK.

The curve in the dizzy is within the tolerance of the 002 spec so I imagine that the bad vibrations are causing the problem with poor running.

We spun an 001 in the same dizzy tester, which is new to us, and it ran very smoothly right up to 5000rpm (again Distributor Speed).

I am going to try to borrow a vibration probe to get some comparitive velocity measurents.

Having stripped the dizzy there is a large weight riveted to the base plate. I can only assume that this is a counterweight, as there is a big difference between the two bob weights.

The large weight is to the upper left.

Underside of 002 showing rivet

The 001 has weights which are much closer in size

Looking at the two curves I am surprised by the mechanical differences and would have thought that the changes to the curve could have been obtained with small changes to spring/weight combinations.

has anyone detailed knowledge of the internal construction of 002 distributors to confirm we have the correct part.

On a minor note the 001 dizzy has a 'OEL' valve in the side whilst thje 002 is blank in this area.

Please help!

Yep those are the ranges permitted. I found out the best way to check a distributer is on a Sun dist machine (may be what you are using). Some of the old shops still have one. I thought mine was good and tight, but the weights did not move freely and springs were stretched. I to had a lot of bounce in the timing and could not get it to stabilize. I replaced it with a good used dizzy and smooth as silk.
    Olin - Member #1375
    ░▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░
    1972 911T

Original
    -117 Light Yellow -15x6 Fuchs (9120/M400) -S Appearance (M470) -5 Speed Transmission (9590)

Options added
    -Houndstooth Sport Seats (M409) -Rear sway bar (9228)
    -H4's -BTB Fog Lts (M429) -Amber TTG Driving Lts (9420/M432)
    -380mm Steering Wheel -Becker Mexico -Roof Mounted Luggage/Ski Rack (9503)
    -A/C (M559) -Rear Fog Lt (M571) -Rear Wiper (9290) -Wheel Trim (M426) -Footrest (9563)

The ignition "cutouts" are different for the 2.4 t e and s dizzys but the curve is the same, correct? would this( rpm cutout) be in the distributor itself or in the rotor that is used? STeve