Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1965 911porsche - $10000 (avondale)

1965 911porsche - $10000 (avondale)

Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

This could be fun project for someone?
    -Doug
    2022 Carrera 4S Oslo Blue
    1977 Martini Edition 924
    1989 Lancia Delta Integrale 16V

I purchased this car last month for half the ask. It's actually a 1966 (304523 build date = 5/10/66), numbers matching with a remarkably original interior, engine bay and Webasto system. The exterior (was 6609-Black) received an orange respray in the 70s. Sold new in the Philly area and believed parked in the early 80s by the original owner. It's been parked ever since -- unfortunately for a few of those years outdoors leading to some rust issues. The fellow I got it from was the third owner. He bought it in the early 90s to restore, but the project never really got off the ground. Now, the buck stops here and the fun soon begins. Stay tuned.
    Last edited by Bill Simmeth; 09-07-2018 at 07:17 AM.

Most cool...

Can't wait to see the documentation of the restoration...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa

Quote Originally Posted by 72targa View Post
    Can't wait to see the documentation of the restoration...
    Me too.

Peter, thanks for posting up the original CL ad. I would have likely missed it otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy78 View Post
    I purchased this car last month for half the ask. It's actually a 1966 (304523 build date = 5/10/66), numbers matching with a remarkably original interior, engine bay and Webasto system. The exterior (was 6609-Black) received an orange respray in the 70s. It moved to the Philly area with its second owner in 1980 from California (still has CA blue plates with a 1980 sticker, so it must have started life outside Cali). It's been parked ever since -- unfortunately for a few of those years outdoors leading to some rust issues. The fellow I got it from was the third owner. He bought it in the early 90s to restore, but the project never really got off the ground. Now, the buck stops here and the fun soon begins. Stay tuned.
    Please post a couple pics! ...the link is no longer valid.

-Allen-

FS: @BaT - 1966 2.0L 911 Coupe - Restored

Bring-a-Trailer Website Auction
    1966 Porsche 2.0L 911 Coupe, Lot #24639
    VIN: 304523
    Engine: 907766
    Trans: 230858
    Color: Black/Black Leatherette
    Mileage: 73,997 (indicated - TMU)
    Auction Estimate: -
    Sold for: US$182,000 (on 11/01/19)

66 911 1.jpg

66 911 2.jpg

66 911 3.jpg

66 911 6.jpg

66 911 7.jpg

66 911 8.jpg

66 911 9.jpg

66 911 10.jpg

66 911 Kardex.jpg

66 911 CoA.jpg

BaT Description:

This 1966 Porsche 911 coupe was produced in May of 1966 and sold new to a Mr. Thomas Ambler of Abington, Pennsylvania. Finished in black over black, the car is powered by a numbers-matching 2.0L flat-six, which is mated to the original 902/1 five-speed transaxle. The vehicle was acquired by the seller out of Pennsylvania nine years ago, and a mechanical and cosmetic restoration was completed last year. Work is said to have totaled over $200k and included rebuilds of the engine and transmission, as well as a bare-metal repaint, new upholstery, refurbished gauges, several new old stock parts, and more as outlined below. Fewer than 500 miles have been added since, and the car was displayed at Luftgekühlt 5 in April 2018. This SWB 911 is now being offered at no reserve with a binder of records, more than 2,000 restoration photos, a factory tool kit and manuals, spare parts, a copy of the Kardex, a Porsche Certificate of Authenticity, and a clean Virginia title in the seller’s name.

During the multi-year restoration, the body was stripped to bare metal and received a Glasurit single-stage repaint by Freddie Hernandez of Vintage Sportscar Restorations in Phoenix, Oregon. Rust repair was also performed and the passenger fender was replaced. Close-up photos of the paint, lenses, trim, glass etchings, and badging are viewable in the gallery. Refinished 15×4.5” Lemmerz steel wheels show 1965 date stamps and wear hubcaps with colored Porsche crests, as well as 165-width Michelin XAS tires. A spare is mounted in the front trunk along with a tool kit and Bilstein jack. The car is also equipped with front fog lights, chrome bumperettes, and a driver-side mirror.

The interior was refreshed with new black leatherette upholstery and houndstooth cloth inserts by Tony Garcia of Autobahn Interiors in San Diego, California. Lap belts with Porsche crests are mounted for both driver and passenger, and a Blaupunkt Frankfurt push-button radio is housed in the wood-trimmed dash fascia. The factory-optional Webasto gas heater system has been visually refurbished but is no longer configured to be operational. According to the seller, the dash pad, knee pad, horn pad, and armrests were not refurbished or recovered during the restoration. A wood-rimmed four-spoke steering wheel frames green VDO gauges that have been restored by North Hollywood Speedometer of California. Just under 74k miles are shown on the five-digit odometer, approximately 400 of which were added by the seller. Total mileage is unknown.

The 2.0-liter flat-six and 902/01 five-speed manual transaxle were rebuilt by Henry Schmidt of Supertec Performance, located in Fallbrook, California. The Weber carburetors were overhauled by Paul Abbott of Performance Oriented in Chico, California, while final assembly and mechanical setup were completed by TLG Auto of North Hollywood, California. An oil change was performed in May 2019. Stamping *907766* is shown above matches the number listed on the CoA and Kardex, confirming the engine as original. A photo of the matching transmission number (230858) is included in the gallery. Stainless steel exhaust headers were ceramic coated and feed a new-old-stock Bischoff muffler. Additional photos showing the underbody and suspension are provided.

The Porsche Certificate of Authenticity displays a production completion date of May 10, 1966 and lists the factory colors, equipment, and powertrain numbers. A copy of the Kardex can be viewed in the gallery. Over 2,000 photos document various stages of the paint and bodywork process. Restoration records, factory manuals, two keys, and a few spare parts accompany the vehicle. Cold-start and driving videos are viewable, and a video capturing the sound of the driver’s door closing.
    Last edited by DOUGS73E; 11-01-2019 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Added sold for price.
    Doug Dill

1973 911E Coupe
    PCA #1987109761
    Early 911S Registry #548

Thanks Doug for posting. I was preparing something similar. This has been an epic project on many levels. After Freddie's and then Marco's work I've fettled with many details. Alas in the end I've determined I'm more of a driver sort. This car is so nice -- Freddie did such a wonderful job on the body work and paint -- every time I drive under this area's many walnut trees I clamp up.

I hope the next owner/caretaker loves the car as much as I have. Please let me know if there are any questions on the car.

Sure hope this story gets into the ESSES...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa

Beautiful car! Good luck with the sale, Bill!

John
    1965 911 #301111, Red Book Vol 1 "Cover Car," owned 53 years.
    1967 911 #307347, bare-bones, some road wear, a little surface rust, and a few dents..., owned 13 years.
    1970 914/6GT, (Sold - ran the last three Rennsports)owned 30 years.

Photography Site: JohnStraubImageWorks.com

Registry #983
    R Gruppe #741