Thread: rain drops keep falling on my head!

rain drops keep falling on my head!

Since my targa spends most of its time as a fair weather driver, I've never had to worry about bailing out my car. This weekend, I found myself in a deluge for most of a day that makes me realize I really should "battening down the hatches".

While I sat inside the car waiting for the rain to subside, I discovered 4 problem areas. (ok maybe 5)

First was a recurrence of a leak that appears just under the gas door release. the underside of the dash pad is moist and I've researched that I probably have to put some silicon underneath the windsheild seal and the body frame. Havn't gotten to this yet. I also noticed I had water dripping down by the passenger wooden floorboard. I'm hoping this is just an extension of that same leak.

When I opened the front truck, I had water dripping by the smugg box. Since I had the trunk seal replaced when the car was repainted, it makes me think water may be getting in by the fresh air vent. Seems I remember when I had the air blower box out though, there was a drain in the bottom of the box. Any place else the water could come from up front?

The two worst leaks were in the front targa top corner by the vent frame and the driver window rear top. In the vent fram area I see the seal is pinched and deteriorated. I know Dan sells the front seal that goes across the top, but there is also another seal that runs up the windsheild frame and seals to the vent fram. Under this seal at the top is a drain tube. Is this wole thing part of Dan's replacement? If not where to source? I don't find it in PP or Dc auto catalog.

I also discovered that there are two screw holes underneath the seal that runs on the targa bar. The screws are missing on my car. As they are halfway up the rear bar, I figure this may account for the standing water i found under my rear carpet. DCauto catalog shows a self tapping screw and some plastic plugs that are called for here. Not sure what to use. Thoughts?
    Joe

--------
    '69 E Targa "Roxie"
    Early S #937

Sent you a pm, Joe.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Spoke to Dan Petchel today. Apparently 1969 was a one year only for the front Targa top seal and it extends across the top and down along the windsheild frame. It is NLA from porsche but Dan is having some made up like he has done for the 70+ year cars. Should be available in 30 days or so.
    Joe

--------
    '69 E Targa "Roxie"
    Early S #937

rain drops keep falling on my head!

Joe, as to the water coming in around the dash edges that probably is the windshield seal and the only real cure will be to replace it, no doubt it is old hard and shrunken up. The water by the smugglers box is another matter however. There should be a short connecting hose from the bottom of the blower housing to the metal drain pipe that carries the water out the bottom of the smugglers box. If the car has ever had A/C that metal tube may have been butchered to make room for the evaporator. The short connecting hose at the bottom of the blower housing is NLA, so if it's missing you'll have to be creative, as the original was two different diameters. Also I have seen that drain tube clogged up with leaves and gunk, then the water just backs up to the trunk floor.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

ED,

The windshield was replaced a 10 years back and the gasket is actually in good shape. Though it doesn't quite fit all that tight in the frame. I've read the post that explains how to use some wedges to align it better in the corners so I'm checking that out along with some Window Weld which I think Randy has recommended.

I'll check my attachments for the housing as I had it all apart when the blower wasn't working. Could be the rubber hose came loose or has deteriorated.
    Joe

--------
    '69 E Targa "Roxie"
    Early S #937

Quote Originally Posted by joetiii View Post
    ED,

The windshield was replaced a 10 years back and the gasket is actually in good shape. Though it doesn't quite fit all that tight in the frame. I've read the post that explains how to use some wedges to align it better in the corners so I'm checking that out along with some Window Weld which I think Randy has recommended.

I'll check my attachments for the housing as I had it all apart when the blower wasn't working. Could be the rubber hose came loose or has deteriorated.
    Possibility of a rusted through area? That area is highly prone to it (heaven forbid, of course!)
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

The windsheild was out when the car was redone. No rust in the frame area. Will have it over the shop tommorrow to get into it deeper.
    Joe

--------
    '69 E Targa "Roxie"
    Early S #937