Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of paint on 73 E

What kind of paint on 73 E

The time has come. Need to paint the 73 E on a budget. Just so faded and too much "patina" ;-)

Want to keep it the original type paint (single stage? type?) not clear coated. Original Guards Red. I want to do all the disassembly and reassembly. Not going to remove body panels but will take anything off that I can. Small rust spots by the front and rear windows (quarter size bubbles). Will likely need to take the front and rear windows out, repair the rust and have it painted. Thinking of going to...don't laugh...Maaco. Hoping I can get a decent job for about $2k. Am I smoking crack or is this a good plan.

Car is nearly mint except for the paint and expect to keep it for ever (It's been in the family since 74). Definitly on a budget.

Thanks for any advice.

Chris
    73 911 E

I have to ask...what is the paint code?

I thought Guards Red was an '80's phenomena.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Chris..Maaco uses their own paint so you will have to ask about matching your orginal color, as for getting a "good " paint job from them the better you prep the car...all glass, trim and bumpers off and do your own body work and fine sanding will make a world of difference.
    Good Luck
    Ron

1973.5 911T
    1974 BMW R90/6
    1986 Carrera, Plan "B"
    1987 BMW K100RS Motorsport
    2004 BMW X3 6 speed manual transmisson

A cheap paint job and the sloppy dissassembly and reassembly that goes along with it, will damage to your car and lower it's value. Have a good polish done and save up for the proper job the car deserves.
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964

Just came from a Maaco shop. He uses PPG paint. Claims it's better than Dupont paint. He asked for a paint code. Anyone know what it is? He had several classic cars in his shop they were working on. Definitly seemed to know what he was doing.

Don't think the existing paint is up for another polishing. Plus there are so many rock chips on the front clip.

I drive this car 50% of the time. Never in the rain intentionally, rarely in the winter and use it for occosional DE's. It's no garage queen but just looks so old now.

Does taking the fenders and doors off really make a huge difference? I am going to have the front and rear glass taken out to fix the rust spots and I am going to take off everything I can unscrew.

I am open to other suggestions. The $1500 quote I got seems ok. He wants to keep the car for several weeks. Quote includes 8 hours of body work / prep.

Chris
    73 911 E
    No. VA Area

Registry Member #1583
    '73 911 S Aubergine (VIN#9113301295)

Thanks for the link with the paint codes. Is the paint code stamped on the car somewhere? I can't tell if it is Fraise or Bahia Red. Always thought it was Guards Red...learn somthing new every day.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cmcfaul View Post
    He asked for a paint code. Anyone know what it is?

Your paint code is on the driver's side door jamb (near the hinges) on a small stamped metal plate. Take a photo and let us know.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by cmcfaul View Post
    Thanks for the link with the paint codes. Is the paint code stamped on the car somewhere? I can't tell if it is Fraise or Bahia Red. Always thought it was Guards Red...learn somthing new every day.

Chris
    There should be a stamp on the drivers side front door pillar. I hope for your sake it is Bahia red, unless you like a pinkish red. Bahia is classic red in my opinion. Fraise, french for strawberry.
    Olin - Member #1375
    ░▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░
    1972 911T

Original
    -117 Light Yellow -15x6 Fuchs (9120/M400) -S Appearance (M470) -5 Speed Transmission (9590)

Options added
    -Houndstooth Sport Seats (M409) -Rear sway bar (9228)
    -H4's -BTB Fog Lts (M429) -Amber TTG Driving Lts (9420/M432)
    -380mm Steering Wheel -Becker Mexico -Roof Mounted Luggage/Ski Rack (9503)
    -A/C (M559) -Rear Fog Lt (M571) -Rear Wiper (9290) -Wheel Trim (M426) -Footrest (9563)

It's 022-9-2

So Bahia Red. What does the 9-2 indicate?