Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SWB front A arms - same side to side?

SWB front A arms - same side to side?

I have my '68's front suspension all torn apart and it appears the SWB A arms are the same right and left. Can someone confirm so I don't screw this up?

Hello Mike,

I am going from memory, but I think the up to 67 A-arms are not handed but the 68 ones are. For 1968 they have different part numbers 901 341 005 00 and * 006 00.

Hope that helps

Alan

Alan, thanks. I'm going to say that 65-67 are the same part number because of the different rear flanbloc arrangement. 68 has the later type flanbloc with the flared upper thingamajig on the rear, which is side specific and pressed on, hence the two different part numbers for '68. But otherwise, the a arm itself is the same side to side.

That makes sense Mike. I have some at the work shop and will take a closer look today.

Thanks

Alan

Ho hum. . . just add time and patience. . .
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Thanks Alan, us 68 owners are really "in the dark" when it comes to specific info.

John, those parts are purty. I see you left the rear flanblocs on. Are those just bare rubber that slips into the crossmember?

Mike,

That is an older photo, I have since removed ONE of the flanblocks in an all-day marathon of cursing and hammering. Got the new $$$ one pressed on and that side is ready to go in, I will probably have to remove the paint from the inside of the crossmember to make it fit. The other one remains a subject of consternation, but I plan to attack it this weekend with the Propylene torch and cold chisel. It's been one of the hardest jobs ever, I can see why people don't change these bushings when they do a restoration.

Details of my epic battle are here:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ht=pipe+wrench

It's a shame to put all that purdy stuff UNDER the car, the black is PPG DPLF with some flattening agent added to give it the right gloss, so it should hold up pretty well.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

68's are a world unto themselves

Mike,

1968 911s and 912 have their own unique front control arms. They use the 1969 and later torsion bar setup so they share the later front cross member, bushings and adjuster hardware. The ball joint, spindle, and strut are 1967 issue so they have the "early" outer end. As the adjustment hardware isn't part of the control arm, they might be interchangeable, but I don't know for certain.

johnt
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by 304065 View Post
    Mike,

That is an older photo, I have since removed ONE of the flanblocks in an all-day marathon of cursing and hammering. Got the new $$$ one pressed on and that side is ready to go in, I will probably have to remove the paint from the inside of the crossmember to make it fit. The other one remains a subject of consternation, but I plan to attack it this weekend with the Propylene torch and cold chisel. It's been one of the hardest jobs ever, I can see why people don't change these bushings when they do a restoration.

Details of my epic battle are here:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ht=pipe+wrench

It's a shame to put all that purdy stuff UNDER the car, the black is PPG DPLF with some flattening agent added to give it the right gloss, so it should hold up pretty well.
    Whoa John, you had an epic battle there. I guess I consider myself lucky that my '68 does not have the "overengineered" rear flanblocs of the 65 to 67 cars. As someone said, the air chisel probably would have helped tremendously, a few "brrrrrp zappp's" and it might have moved. That is, if you could have gotten access with the lip there.....

On my '68's bushings, I used the "Chuck Moreland" method of heating up the outer sleeve with a blue propane torch until the rubber became sizzly and greasy. The front sleeve then easily turned off with a screwdriver, then the bushing pushed off pretty easily if kept hot with the torch. The rears actually "self ejected" from the arm once I heated the outer sleeve up enough with the torch. It actually was kind of weird seeing the outer sleeve start moving off the bushing/arm on it's own!!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    Mike,

1968 911s and 912 have their own unique front control arms. They use the 1969 and later torsion bar setup so they share the later front cross member, bushings and adjuster hardware. The ball joint, spindle, and strut are 1967 issue so they have the "early" outer end. As the adjustment hardware isn't part of the control arm, they might be interchangeable, but I don't know for certain.

johnt
    Thanks John. I like your swaybar setup, adjustable tension, right? Makes switching out to different sways a thing of the past?

I hope to have everything reassembled this weekend, I'll try to post some pics so as to help some other poor soul working on their SWB car in the future!