Thread: Rubber cowl trim replacement question

Rubber cowl trim replacement question

Several threads here and on the bird touch on replacing the rubber trim between the fender and the cowl near the windshield. Most suggest this can be done by loosening the several bolts inside the hood and the door and wedging the fender outward a bit to provide clearance. Well I've done that and am sure I've got them all, even the well hidden one. I've got the old rubber trim out, and cleaned the joint as well as I can with a putty knife. I can get a new piece of trim in, but only by cutting almost all of it away...it simply won't slide in even with soap and water.
    Looking for info, I found another thread with this good pic. The top-most arrow points to one of the several bolts I've loosened. But there are more bolts, indicated by the lower arrows, into the vertical piece that look like they'd hold the fender tight against the body. Anyone found that these must be loosened too? It looks like a logical next step. Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara
    74 911 coupe. 2.7 redone by Competition Engineering; ported to 36mm, shuffle-pinned, boat-tailed, Elgin mod-S cams, J&E 9.5's, PMO's.
    73 Targa (much beloved, sold and off to a fine new home in San Francisco)

I've had to trim the trim, not shorten it depth wise but notch for bolts that prevented it from bottoming out. Take a look and confirm this is not what the problem is.
    Early 911S member #166

I have no problem with the theory that all men are created equal.
    But after that moment you are on your own and nobody owes you a damn thing.

thanks Mark. I'ved used a thin sheet of brass to probe for obstacles. There is one hole on the rubber that needed to be notched but otherwise brass gets thru but the rubber won't. Jim
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara
    74 911 coupe. 2.7 redone by Competition Engineering; ported to 36mm, shuffle-pinned, boat-tailed, Elgin mod-S cams, J&E 9.5's, PMO's.

Hi Jim,

I just installed the first of these on my project. I think loosening the top couple fender joining bolts would help, giving the fender a little front to rear wiggle room too. That topmost one behind the filler neck is tough to get to, but possible. Alternatively, can you wedge anything up from the bottom, behind the front edge of the door? You might be getting a little twisting, so that although the top edge of the fender is coming away, the bottom edge of the fender lip is not. Near the door the rubber has to go all the way past the lower edge of the lip.

If you want a recently experienced pair of eyes to take a look I'd be glad to come check it out.

Mike
    --------------
    Mike Caterino
    1970 T targa
    Santa Barbara, CA
    restoration blog: mk911.blogspot.com

Thanks Mike. Let me try this and see how it goes. How's the project?
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara

Rubber cowl trim replacement

James, I have replaced these many times, you only need to loosen 4 bolts, the two under the cowl, and the two along the top of the fender. If you buy the cowl strips from Porsche they are correctly notched, if you buy aftermarket ones they are not and you will need to copy your old ones. (I won't use aftermarket ones) I use clear silicone paste for lube, use a thin plastic spatula to help spread the gap, and use a plastic dead blow hammer to get the strip started into the gap, as it gets lower you'll need to place a thin piece of wood or plastic on top of the strip and hit that with the hammer so you aren't pounding on the paint!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks Ed, I've tried all that repeatedly and failed. The damned gap simply won't open up. I'm going to move to the other side and see if it goes easier, then come back to this one.
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara