Thread: Repairing an Alloy Decklid

Repairing an Alloy Decklid

Came across this aluminum decklid recently ---- with its original wiper motor in place, no less. A 'take-off' from an accident many years ago. Outer skin tweaked. Several tears on the inner frame.

Is this fixable? Is it worth fixing? I don't need perfect, and I prefer to get an original piece. Can this be restored and made usable again? Frankly, I like the idea of re-cycling something like this, anyway.

Whaddiya think? Any ideas on costs?

Rick Kreiskott
    Attached Images Attached Images    

We Can Be Heroes

fix it

a good body guy can fix it
    Mike

Hell, Yes, it's worth fixing.

That can be made to look and function like new by a competent metal man.

Two that immediately come to mind are:

Ed Palmer, Kundensport, in Camarillo, CA 805. 445. 9146

Bruce Terry, Specialty Metal Fabrications, Monterey, CA 831. 647. 1095

When done, you'll be in posession of a highly desirable & sought after part, in which you'll have $ 1,200 to 1,500 invested (repaired and in primer, the numbers are my guess) which usually changes hands for anywhere from $2,000 to $4,000 + these days, depending on condition.
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Let me know if you want to sale your rear wiper. I think I remember seeing one on your new car. You can PM me if you like.

Olin

This isn't a project for an average body shop technician. My old shop did lot's of Ferraris back in the 80's and early 90's. You need someone well versed in aluminum work and TIG welding. Please find yourself a similar shop that does alloy bodied repair work and have them do it or get a referral. Someone that does not know what they are doing will reduce this part to the soda can recycling bin in a hurry! ( I remember once having a Testarossa in the shop with a hopelessly mangled front bonnet--we had to replace with new--I gave it to my tech to take to the recycler. I think he got $75 for it. The new one cost $5000+ and that was 20 years ago!)

DynoDave

Repairing an alloy deck lid

Rick,

In addition to the other references posted, Urs Gretener @ Gretener Prototype Engineering in Paso Robles, CA can repair your engine lid. Urs is a very talented fabricator in both steel & aluminum. Urs' phone number is (805) 239-2866.

Dave
    Member # 351

My guy here in Utah can do it as well. Well versed in AL and Jaguars. They have at least 2 "Restoration Car of the Year" awards from the Jag club. Lundquist Restorations.

Sounds like you have your answer... good score.
    Eric - Sandy, Utah
    71 911
    914-6/GT
    914-6/ORV
    87 944 Spec 1
    Porsche Truck
    62 Beetle
    80 VW “Caddy” Pickup
    72 R75/5 Toaster Tank
    PMB Performance
    We'll Make Your Calipers New Again
    Love Us On Facebook

Thank you, Gentlemen! . . .

. . . based on the comments posted here, I'm getting the lid.

My thanks to John, Dave and Eric for the names and contact infomation. I really appreciate it!

And Olin, when I pull that wiper motor off, I'll be sure contact you.

Rick Kreiskott

We Can Be Heroes