Thread: rear shelf interior pannel & shelf mounted harness

Loud lederhosen saves lives hoffman912's Avatar

rear shelf interior pannel & shelf mounted harness

for those that have shoulder harnesses mounted to your rear shelf, and still retaining the interior vinyl panel, can anyone post a shot of how you have it set up?

on the swb pannels, there are holes in there that line up with the eye bolt mounts in the shelf. these are covered over with the vinyl piece though.

i want to mount shoulder harnesses here, but am curious how the holes in the vinyl are made. are they only big enough to go around the threads, and cover everything, or is the entire section where the hole in the hard panel is void of vinyl (showing a bigger hole, exposing the entire mount section).

also for those who did it yourself, how did you cut the vinyl? did you just use a razor to cut a hole, or did you use some kind of punch? i dont want to just slice a knotch out for the bolt to slide through as i am afraid the vinyl will rip over time..
    Harry Hoffman
    1968 912 #3656, burgundy red 'Fritz'. Some mods..
    912 Registry charter member #912R0195-C
    Early 911S Registry Member #2070
    356 Registry Member #36691

http://hoffman912.blogspot.com/

Harry I just did this and did not do anything to the vinyl until AFTER trim panel was put back in place only heated with hair dryer to stretch then only poked large enough hole to screw in eye bolt. Mine done on a 67 with intent on running Y belts and it did not have provisions for anything. I made up the brackets and cut backing. I wanted mine in center of seats so may look odd. I did spray some 3M adhesive on the receiver prior to setting trim back down. No problem with splitting/cracking on mine and it's the original 43 year old vinyl. Sorry for bad pic camera on last leg.

Early 911S member #166

I have no problem with the theory that all men are created equal.
    But after that moment you are on your own and nobody owes you a damn thing.

thanks Mark, that would be great! I thought about poking a hole, but wasnt sure if that would be asking for trouble (splitting/cracking etc).
    Harry Hoffman

thanks for going back and adding pics!
    Harry Hoffman