Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steel Wheel Questions

Steel Wheel Questions

Is it better/necessary to run the open ended steel lug nuts with steel wheels?

Were all steel wheels the same color? Is there a factory silver color?

Thanks
    Mark

1973 911T Targa 3.2 hot rod - Sold
    1992 964 C2 - Sold
    1988 VW Single Cab Truck - For Sale
    1985 VW Double Cab Truck

Steel Wheel Questions

It is necessary to run the open steel lug nuts with the steel wheels. The wheel is thinner than the alloy wheel and the tightening the alloy lug nut on the steel wheel will pop out the end of the alloy lug nut as the stud is now too long. Artic silver is the correct color is what I was told by the famous (infamous?) John Paterak. The wheels appear to me to look "right" with that color.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Mark...The steelies I run were refinished by Weidmann on the left coast. When he painted them, he used what he referred to as Ferrari silver, meaning he added a little black so the finish wouldn't be so bright as Arctic Silver.

Vic
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I like that Ferrari Silver - very nice.

I see the steel lug nuts come in conical or ball shape any idea which I would need - the wheels are 1969 Lemmerz and KPZ?

Thanks
    Mark

1973 911T Targa 3.2 hot rod - Sold
    1992 964 C2 - Sold
    1988 VW Single Cab Truck - For Sale
    1985 VW Double Cab Truck

Steel Wheel Questions

I don't think I've ever seen Porsche lug nuts in a conical shape, what's the part number? Anyway you need the ball end which is the only style Porsche lug nut I've ever seen dating back to 356's and VW beetles.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    It is necessary to run the open steel lug nuts with the steel wheels. The wheel is thinner than the alloy wheel and the tightening the alloy lug nut on the steel wheel will pop out the end of the alloy lug nut as the stud is now too long. Artic silver is the correct color is what I was told by the famous (infamous?) John Paterak. The wheels appear to me to look "right" with that color.
    I used 7mm spacers on my 4.5" chromies with my alloy lug nuts. Worked like a charm and increased my track width by a whole half inch!
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

You'll want the conical type. I ordered a set from Apex Competition:

http://www.race-studs.com/servlet/th...eel-Lug/Detail

They're specific to Porsche wheels.
    Nate Y
    Early 911S Registry #1232

Pelican has them too...in black. Much prettier, IMHO.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Steel Wheel Questions

Nate, those are the ball end nuts pictured in your link.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Steel Wheel Questions

Kenikh, you do know that using spacers to fit the alloy nuts is considered cheating
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.