Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What about a sepia RSR look???

Department of Redundancy Department Paul Konrad's Avatar

What about a sepia RSR look???

Does anyone know if any of the 55 original '73 RSR's were sepia? I have a sepia '73 1/2 911T non-sunroof coupe RSR look that I am working on. At the end of the body work I will need to repaint the car sepia, or do a complete color change. I'd prefer to keep the sepia color because all of the original paint in the door jams and under the hoods, etc. are all in really nice condition and can be left alone. A color change will cost a lot more money, and I'd like to keep it the original color, even if the car has been modified to an RSR look. However, for resale (at some point in the future), I may be better off with a more popular color. As others have noted in another sepia link, sepia cars tend to go for less money, possibly 30% less. Thanks for any comments or suggestions.
    1973.5 911T RSR
    1985 Carrera Coupe

I think a color change car, no matter how well done is gonna ding resale just as much... Sepia may take longer to find the right buyer when the time comes, but IMO would be better for resale. My two cents
    1975 911 Carrera

Are there concrete plans to sell the car? Keep it Sepia, if not. An RSR rep stands on its own, IMHO, although Paul may disagree given the problems he had selling the Mad Kuh and Chris had selling his flat black RSR...the Kuh was reshot leaf green and Chris car got Conti orange before they sold.

That said, RSRs were race cars and as a result colors were defined by the race team. Even if they came from the factory with a color code, they almost assuredly never saw the light of day without being repainted. Historical pictures show anything goes and the paint people value on these cars is related to livery, not some (possibly non-existent) COA color ID.

The shots I have seen of race car build lots from the factory show that race cars were typically painted in one color on the assembly line and something in my memory tells me this was the case for the RSR.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

If your building an RSR it's going to be a totaly different car so paint it the color you want. Once you start welding on steel RSR flares and such your modified way pass stock to really care about original color. Do you want your RSR to be sepia? If you have the motor out and the tub bare the complete color change shouldn't cost that much more and might be the way to go anyway for new matching paint every where on the car. If I were buying an RSR would I choose Grand Pix White or Viper Green over Sepia? No question but that's me.
    72S, 72T now ST

Quote Originally Posted by Longballa View Post
    If your building an RSR it's going to be a totaly different car so paint it the color you want. Once you start welding on steel RSR flares and such your modified way pass stock to really care about original color. Do you want your RSR to be sepia? If you have the motor out and the tub bare the complete color change shouldn't cost that much more and might be the way to go anyway for new matching paint every where on the car. If I were buying an RSR would I choose Grand Pix White or Viper Green over Sepia? No question but that's me.
    Ummm....uuuuuhhhh...Scott, white and green sound so familiar when hearing you talk about RSRs...
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

They do look good!:
    Quote Originally Posted by kenikh View Post
    Ummm....uuuuuhhhh...Scott, white and green sound so familiar when hearing you talk about RSRs...
    72S, 72T now ST

I wonder what leaf green or forest green would look like on an RSR? Could be pretty cool.
    72S, 72T now ST

I vote for keeping your paint original Sepia

Maybe you could try different twisted color of Carrera logotype graphics down the side than the traditional shade of black. Aubergine script and Fuchs centers with Sepia braun might look nice.

http://www.fischer-oldtimer.de/index...5d96703df639db

Quote Originally Posted by Longballa View Post
    I wonder what leaf green or forest green would look like on an RSR? Could be pretty cool.
    Like Paul's old car...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

what is the story of this car Kenik? Curious about those flares...short hood RSR??