Thread: 2.0 911T Rotor/Distributor source

2.0 911T Rotor/Distributor source

Hi all,
    My friends 914-6 quit running yesterday. His rotor is fried and it looks like he may need a new distributor. I made a few calls today and it looks like none of these parts are readily available any longer from "normal" parts houses. Where do you guy's source this stuff?
    Thanks,
    JP

Are we sure he needs a new distributor? Bearings can be replaced, timing can be readjusted to new. Do a search here for lots of leads. Rotors and points should all be available from the usual suspects, Pelican, Vertex, Stoddards, etc etc.
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara
    74 911 coupe. 2.7 redone by Competition Engineering; ported to 36mm, shuffle-pinned, boat-tailed, Elgin mod-S cams, J&E 9.5's, PMO's.
    73 Targa (much beloved, sold and off to a fine new home in San Francisco)

Quote Originally Posted by jameshtaylor View Post
    Are we sure he needs a new distributor? Bearings can be replaced, timing can be readjusted to new. Do a search here for lots of leads. Rotors and points should all be available from the usual suspects, Pelican, Vertex, Stoddards, etc etc.
    Thanks, yes, I did some research here yesterday and discovered Henry Schmidt and Don Marks info and passed it on to my friend. It's been awhile since I've owned/maintained an early flat six so I'm getting up to speed. The distributor/cap is Marelli so that adds to the ugliness but it looks like it can be rebuilt, still not sure about the cap and rotor, but I'm assuming they can be rebuilt/refurbished as well ...
    JP

If it is a single plug Marelli, you are 99% screwed. They are not reproduced and if you find a NOS cap and rotor, it is typically cheaper to just buy a good used Bosch dizzy.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Don Marks passed away several months ago.
    - Neil
    '67 911S (Ol' Ivory)
    '82 Hewlett Packard 34C
    Early 911S Registry # 512

Quote Originally Posted by kenikh View Post
    If it is a single plug Marelli, you are 99% screwed. They are not reproduced and if you find a NOS cap and rotor, it is typically cheaper to just buy a good used Bosch dizzy.
    Hm, thanks Kenik. I thought I remembered something about the Marelli gear being not as desirable, I'll let him know what you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil '67 911S View Post
    Don Marks passed away several months ago.
    Oh, no. Sorry to hear that news. I believe I met Don at the L.A. Toy and Lit show last year. If it's the same man, he was very nice and VERY knowledgeable about dizzy refurbishment. Especially for 356/4 cal cars.

Oh, no. Sorry to hear that news. I believe I met Don at the L.A. Toy and Lit show last year. If it's the same man, he was very nice and VERY knowledgeable about dizzy refurbishment. Especially for 356/4 cal cars.[/QUOTE]

You probably met Ed Fall at the Lit meet. He was there this year. Don was a very talented restoration expert on both 356/912 Bosch distributors and Solex carbs. His shop was at Gary Emory's in McMinnville, OR for a number of years.
    - Neil
    '67 911S (Ol' Ivory)
    '82 Hewlett Packard 34C
    Early 911S Registry # 512