Thread: deformed door pockets

deformed door pockets

Does anyone have a method to correct slightly deformed door pockets?

Thanks in advance,

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    356Robo
    64 C Coupe #218448(sold)
    70T Targa #9110110416(sold)

there was a very thorough article in Esses, from what I remember, you can heat gently with steam, or at least the steam from an iron and reshape

Lewis
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

Here's one thread for ya:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...+pockets+steam

I 've had good luck steaming them, tho with repeated efforts to get the right contour and for it to hold. I use velcro along the lower edge of the arm rest and the top of the pocket to keep them tight, but the contour must be very close in the first place in order for the velcro to hold. HTH
    Mike O'Meara
    Reg #1043
    72 911T
    56,59 356s gone
    67,68 912s gone

My restoration attempts were futile. If you really do want those dreadful things hanging on your doors, I'd get the fiberglass replacements that someone makes and install them. Allegedly this is a good permanent fix.
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara
    74 911 coupe. 2.7 redone by Competition Engineering; ported to 36mm, shuffle-pinned, boat-tailed, Elgin mod-S cams, J&E 9.5's, PMO's.
    73 Targa (much beloved, sold and off to a fine new home in San Francisco)

I fixed mine by closing the door with the pocket in the open position, and pushing it back, day by day, with a rolled up towel wedged in between the seat and rear part of the pocket. It took about a week. That was five years ago, and the pocket is still straight.

If they're chewed up inside, where the cord goes, then you'll probably have to patch them first. I have no experience with that.

I also succeeded in straightening the lower edge of one of my fixed pockets with a steamer, some clamps and some wood blocks.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

I never had great success trying to get them back into shape. You can replace the aluminum borders, and while it looks better, it does not get the cardboard back into shape. They are available NOS, but at a large cost.
    John

Early 911 S Registry member 473
    RGruppe member 445

bob moglia
    '72 E sunroof coupe

I disassembled mine and steam ironed them back into shape. That worked very well. I then patched, re-flocked the mouse fur (using the method described in Bob's link), new vinyl, etc. They turned out nice.
    Al Kosmal
    the X-faktory
    Current projects; 69-911.5
    76S rat bastard---off to Germany

1970 914-4...off to Wisconsin
    73 911X Cafe Racer...........(off to S.F.....now racing in Germany)
    66 912 ...off to France
    71E 9111200979 ( gone to Paris..then to Corsica)
    77S (off to NY)
    Early S #1240

RGruppe #669
    www.x-faktory.com