Thread: Trick to getting front torsion bars out?

Trick to getting front torsion bars out?

Is there a trick to removing the front torsion bars from my 68 912? The control arms and the torsion bars seem to be fused into the whole assembly and the only thing that worked on one was to use an air chisel, which blew the front cap off the torsion bar. Did I ruin the thing? I do not see any clips to remove the plug off the front of the torsion bar. I could not find anything helpful in the manual either.
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

You're on the right track.

Hammer 'em out the front (which, as you know, will knock the caps out) then drive 'em back through the splines (which will clean the splines and make install easier) and out the way they're supposed to go.

DO NOT try to take them all the way out the front ... you'll be pi$$ing in the wind.

Air chisel is a bit overkill, though. A BFH should do the trick getting 'em out and small tap-tap should work to send 'em back through.

Then, once they're out of the arms, grease the splines in the arms and hammer (tap-tap) the caps back in. Powdercoating will help hide any hammer marks in the cap.

TA-DA!!
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146 View Post
    You're on the right track.

Hammer 'em out the front (which, as you know, will knock the caps out) then drive 'em back through the splines (which will clean the splines and make install easier) and out the way they're supposed to go.

DO NOT try to take them all the way out the front ... you'll be pi$$ing in the wind.

Air chisel is a bit overkill, though. A BFH should do the trick getting 'em out and small tap-tap should work to send 'em back through.

Then, once they're out of the arms, grease the splines in the arms and hammer (tap-tap) the caps back in. Powdercoating will help hide any hammer marks in the cap.

TA-DA!!
    Thanks for the tip. I was afraid I had messed something up. I will take the out the back as you mention and then put the caps back on the front. Not too worried about a few hammer tap marks, just want to get the darn things out.
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

Just did this on my 68 when rebuilding the front suspension. Once you get everything cleaned up, repainted where necessary and greased, everything goes together like butter and it's a pleasure to work on the car again. And if you need to reposition the lowering levers, just pull the bolt and pull the cap off and reposition with your fingers. Nice.....