Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Door check does not hold door. Suggestions?

Door check does not hold door. Suggestions?

I have a '73. The driver's door stop/check is not working. Once you open the door, it does not stay, it opens all the way.
    I heard that the door check sold by the regular vendors does not fix the problem. Is this correct? If so, what is/are my alternative(s)?
    I welcome any suggestions.
    Thanks a million,

Jesse Rodriguez
    S Registry # 657
    R Gruppe # 70

Depending on the year of you car, the new door checks do not fit at the mounting points in the door. Some have drilled out the inner door as to make a new hole for fitment purposes. I did not do that. Instead, I purchased some old door checks, took them a part and used parts from the several door checks to make one good one. New rollers are available with most vendors. Grease it up and you should be good to go. Good luck.

John
    John

Early 911 S Registry member 473
    RGruppe member 445

Pelican has Porsche Door Stop - 90153103520 - Genuine Porsche
    which solved the problem its about $100 and I believe it has different threads than my 69 original, so you would have to use different bolts. Pelican probably would know if it would work on your 73. I tried to fix mine, but couldn't, as the plastic parts were too worn, so went the new route. You will have to take the door panel off.
    Good luck.

member #1515
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

member #1515
    I think this one was the original design,
    https://www.aasesales.com/collection...37-114c-114366

Take a peek at what you've got
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

What a dilemma! $30, $100 or $200.
    Bob B

Use the Aase one, not the superseded version for $30.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

My original 69 version looks kind of like the stoddard part, so some time after 69, the design changed to the Aase style

The door check is repairable. There are three elements which cause poor functioning:
    Weak springs
    Worn rollers
    Worn aluminium arms
    In my case all three required replacement. Assembly is not difficult.
    When I repaired mine rollers and arms were not available so I had them made by a local engineering shop. The springs I purchased from A guy in The Netherlands who had made some springs. I think all three of the above parts are now available from vendors in the USA.

Auckland, New Zealand. And Los Angeles, USA.
    Replaced the door checks on a friend’s 72E a couple of months ago. Used the Stoddard item as referenced above by RSTarga. Exact replacement & perfect fit - 15 minute job.
    Kiwi
    1972 911S
    1967 912
    1959 356A Conv D
    Early S Registry # 306