Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: '68 was rear ended, picture inside

Guys thanks so much for your advice. The shop I am dropping it off at on Saturday is a Porsche only shop. I got a recommendation from a guy who had his 20k original mile 73S wiped out in the rear to the tune of $30k. So I'm pretty comfortable Ill get the straight scoop here.

Ed not sure if the kid was on the phone or not, but it was night on a busy 4 lane yellow line divided state highway and I had stopped just over a blind crest for a guy turning left. Just before I heard the screeching tires and blammo, I thought "I sure hope the guy behind me stops also....."

Nobody was injured except the kid, whose head I bounced off the hood of his 2004 Cavalier. No, just kidding, the kid felt pretty bad about it. And he'll feel even worse when he sees the final bill and rate increase as a result of this one!

When my 912 got wacked in 2003, it was totalled and I got a check for $6,500. I think there is a bunch of hidden damage there.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Sorry to tell you but you have at least double the initial $3k. If you have left your car for Insurance appraiser shop should have a well written estimate for both you and the adjuster if not don't walk but run. I do not care how good the shop thinks they are it will always be a problem if they can't put it into writting. It will start with that F'n adjuster screwed us! In order to settle an insurance claim it takes both an educated shop and an educated adjuster. Demand an initial estimate. The remainder will be written in supplements.

The car has unibody damages from just looking at the pic. I am sure that 1/4 has a buckle somewhere. Add the age and that RR rail has to be hurt. These are tight little cars that when misaligned are a bit tough to work out. Make sure they have a dedicated bench. Look at the details on finished cars not what others tell you.

Hope all works out!

Mike, holy crap, glad you weren't hurt.

$10,000. Once you get the bumper off you'll see. 30-40 MPH is a LOT of energy to absorb and it has to go somewhere. . . .I would check the quarters, check the inside frame rails-- the FWM has all the check dimensions to verify that it's straight. Maybe it is, which would be fortunate, but matching the color is going to be a serious job for the other side's insurance company.

Let me know if you need parts, I have NOS (from 4 years ago) rear quarters and a couple of spare steel rear panels.

Again, the important thing is that you are OK, but what a giant pain in the rear end. Pun definitely intended.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Yikes you guys are scaring me! Harry thanks for the pics. Mine isn't nearly as bad as your 912, not saying mine is a walk in the park though. I am optimistic that the unibody isn't too tweaked, from looking at it. I drove it a few hundred miles the day after and it seemed fine, except that the starter crapped out on the tail end of the drive. The rear panel under the decklid with the stickers on it looks fine.

Yea, the other guys insurance accepted full liability and the other guy did get a ticket. The other guys appraiser came to my house and did the initial estimate of $3500 for which I have a detailed written breakout.

Once the shop gets it torn apart and finds more damage, the appraiser said it would be no problem to get more $. So, I'll make sure the shop gets a written detailed estimate in a timely manner so I can get more $.

You're right John, it's a pain in the rear!!

Wow that's horrible Mike. Sorry about the bad luck.

Don't settle for anything but perfection in the repair.
    "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

1971 911e
    1978 911sc Targa (Sold)
    1973 911 RSR (Clone)

Update: It's at the repair shop now and they're looking it over....I'll report back when I find out the final diagnosis in a day or two. :O

See this thread:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ad.php?t=29910
    transmission damage is also possible.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    See this thread:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ad.php?t=29910
    transmission damage is also possible.
    Dave thanks that thread is very helpful. My slam panel is undamaged and my decklid only has a tiny bend just above the bumperette. I am going to push for muffler and heat exchanger replacement, since the license panel definitely is in contact with the muffler and one of the heat exchangers definitely has a cracked pipe.

I guess I am lucky a 2004 Cavalier with a lower bumper hit me, because if a big SUV hit my car I think the damage would be MUCH different.

Also, the kid that hit me said he was going 40mph, but I think he had slowed down significantly from the time he slammed his brakes on, skidded and then hit me. Maybe 15-20 I am guessing, maybe 25?

I'll advise on this thread on any updates.

Awww Mike, that is a real bummer! Sorry to hear that happened, but am glad nobody was hurt. I really hope that the car was not tweaked too bad, but looking at the damage, it could be. Won't know until it is apart and jigged. Keep us up to date with the damage report.

Just curious who the owner of the 73S is - local guy? And what was the name of the shop he recommended? Good information to have for my future reference. PM me with that info if you like. Thanks and good luck with the outcome.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T