Page 29 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten Fifty-nine

Donner

Just got an e-mail from Donner, in Wuppertal . . . .

Dear Rick,

Thanks for your letter from 21.July 2011. This medal is from our factory, but . . . is very old and I (can't) answer your questions, (as) we have (no) documents . . . and (no one) here in our factory (who) can answer . . . It must be a medal from the 70 or 60 year perhaps, we don´t know.

Sorry that we (can't) help you.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Best regards

Petra
    Adam Donner GmbH

Not exactly the definitive response I was hoping for. I'm guessing that anything that took place way back then is either archived in some analog sh!t-pile, walking/stumbling around in someone's head . . .

. . . Or gone.

Just a badge . . .

Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by LongRanger; 08-09-2011 at 01:22 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

'Request for Information' . . .

. . . sent to AMAG (the Swiss Porsche importer), and to Switzerland's Federal Department of the Environment, Transport, Energy and Communications (DETEC) --- e-mail, this time.

Who I am.
    What I have.
    Why I'm contacting them.
    Documents, pictures, etc . . .

. . . 'Can you help?'

See what happens.

Fingers crossed.

Rick

We Can Be Heroes

Lou's Story . . .

I mentioned that Lou Scalzo, the 3rd Owner of 1059, is an active member of PCA, also the Historian for the Carolinas Region. Here's an article that he wrote for Tobacco Roads, the Region's newsletter . . . .

Usually if you have been a Porsche enthusiast or PCA member for any length of time you have mostly likely owned a few different cars or models over the years. Looking back, there has probably been one of those cars that you remember fondly, miss, and probably wish you had never sold. I had a personal experience that recently happened that I would like to share with the Carolinas membership regarding one of my old cars of the past. With me, it was a certain car that I would always remember, the second in a string of nine 911’s that I had over the years. This is the story of that one car.

In January of 1985, my wife and I transferred to Los Angeles with my employer, Eastern Airlines, from Miami to work as a flight line mechanic. I was 25 yrs old and had already owned two previous cars – my first a ‘72 914, and then a ‘71 911T. Moving to L.A. – after being Porsche-less for almost 2yrs, I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to find and purchase the nicest Porsche I could afford at the time. Southern California had the reputation of being the spot with the biggest selection of used Porsche’s to be found at the time. After owning the 911T - and doing the research, I felt the model I could afford with my 6-8 grand in hand would be a ‘70-‘73 911S coupe. Well, I found the search somewhat more difficult that I had anticipated. It involved newspapers and the local “Recycler” - the paper of choice in Southern CA when looking to buy used goods. I would look on my spare time and weekends, and after approximately 3 months I had only really found 3 possibilities – 1) 1970 red 911S Targa that needed a front pan and had a lot of oil leaks, 2) 1972 Gran Prix white 911E with a rebuilt S-spec engine and Webers, or 3) 1970 Metallic green 911S euro “luxus” model.

To be honest, I was very tempted on that white 911E. That is, until I found that metallic Green 911S that fateful day on the outskirts Chatsworth, Ca. when the owner backed it out of the barn at his mini-ranch. After doing a quick once over, I knew it was THE ONE. A totally stock, mechanically injected 7800 rpm, ’70 911S, with a very unusual metallic green stock paint color code 8383. The car was purchased and delivered to Southern CA by the current owner, finding it thru a showroom window while on a ski trip to Switzerland. It was also a “Luxus” model, meaning that it had unusual features – electric windows, rear window wiper, and black interior with corduroy seats. The entire car was a time capsule in beautiful condition inside and out. Asking price, $7,500. Buying price, $7,200.

This car turned out to be everything I thought it would be – a joy to drive – with the legendary S cams delivering that glorious power, punch and sound above 4500rpm. I enjoyed driving for a year, along Pacific Coast Highway and up to Ventura and Santa Barbara.

January 1986, I transferred back to Miami, FL with Eastern, and we trailered the 911S with our ’79 Z-28 Camaro. Looking back we must have been crazy, but we made it… almost. We made it as far as Stuart, Florida when after 3 days of driving, the ignition unit on the Z-28 gave up at 10pm on the Florida Turnpike. Luckily we had the 911S! We backed it off the trailer, headed to the next exit and into a small town to find at gas station with new ignition unit for the Camaro at 1am! Talk about luck! So after getting the Camaro running again, my wife Laurie followed me home to our house in Hollywood – arriving finally at 3am.

Regretfully, the following year Eastern Airlines was not to survive. The airline was a victim of merger mania of the ‘80’s. Also, my wife Laurie was pregnant with our first daughter, Melissa, so it was time for change once again. A new start with another airline, in a new town - the house was sold along with my prized possession – the ’70 911s. Maybe I was being a little too responsible and practical at the time. Looking back now, yes probably, but it seemed to be the right decision then. Like many of us Porschephiles, it was important that if I had to sell, it had to be to a good home. When Mark Allbaugh purchased the car from me that fateful day in January of 1987, I felt he would provide a good home. He was already a car collector with several vintage muscle cars, as well as a Pantera. I remember very well driving to meet him in Pompano Beach to make the transaction. More than once I thought in my mind, “It’s not too late to cancel this.” But being far too practical, the sale did take place that day. But as the years went by I wondered what ever happened to the car and if Mark might still have it. I did keep his South Florida phone number throughout the years and was tempted many times to find out.

Well, fast forward to 23 ½ years later, to, Friday, July 8th 2011. I was taking an extended weekend trip with friends, up in the North Carolina mountain town of Glenville, when I got phone call from my brother Tony, who lives in North Miami Beach. He tells me that he received a letter from a Porsche guy in Orange County Ca. who owns a certain Metallic Green 1970 911S, and is trying find out the history of the car, and looking to locate a one-time Eastern Airlines mechanic who owned the car in Southern California in the 70’s or 80’s – the name, Louis Scalzo, could this be? After so long my old car has now resurfaced? Whatever it was, luck or fate, of course I left a phone message to the new owner – Rick Kreiskott, and on July 10th. On the drive home to Charlotte, Rick phoned me back. A connection was made - new owner to old owner - with a span of over 23 years – a passing of the torch of sorts for 2 owners with admiration of the same Metallic Green 1970 911.

Rick filled me in on the last 23 ½ yrs of the car and told how he had gone about acquiring her. It turns out Mark Allbaugh had maintained ownership for 20 more years until 2007 when he ironically moved to Brevard, North Carolina. The 911 had practically been in my back yard all these years! When Mark decided to sell it in Hemming Motor News, Rick was in California, had noticed it and had been looking for a post ’69 early 911, After some phone conversations, Mark agreed to have a pre-purchase inspection done by of all places, John Forbes and Black Forest Racing. While at John’s shop – the transmission was rebuilt, due to a weak 2nd gear synchro, the ignition unit replaced, and some minor rust repaired on right hand lower rocker. It was also sent to Eurowerks in Matthews for new tires and alignment. How ironic, that all these years I wondered what had become of my old Porsche, and it was literally under my nose! After several trips to check out the progress and when the work in N.C. was completed, Rick flew out for the last time and drove the ‘70 911S home to Southern California, back where it all started in 1985.

Rick has been a great new owner to the car. After a trouble free drive back to California he has recently completed a exterior restoration, has replaced the S front spoiler with an original valance, and replaced the rear lid with a correct aluminum one. He has sent me many pictures. Also a member of the Early 911S registry, he sent me a link to the blog on his recent work being done entitled 1059. When I asked, Rick explained it is the last 4 digits of the serial number, and then it came back to me after 23years – also my birthday October 1959, another irony. It’s so good to see an old friend looking better than ever, with a new owner that is really appreciating her. Many thanks Rick

http://www.cr-pca.org/NewsDates/Arti...nFiftyNine.htm

I see the car in front of me, the shape, color.

Sit inside, start her up . . . drive.

I know where I found her, and how, what I've done to her, the bits, the work, the people. And I know the places we've been . . . . but what about before?

Cars don't talk, don't remember, don't care. They just go on.

Down the road, to the next place, next garage, Next Owner. If they're lucky.

I hope that 1059 gets to go a long long way . . . after me . . . without me.

And the Next Owners?

Hope they feel as lucky as me.

Thanks, Lou. Hope I get to throw you the keys, some time . . . .

Rick
    Last edited by LongRanger; 08-23-2011 at 08:12 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Switzerland Calling . . .

Heard back from DETEC, the Swiss DoT-equivalent that Karim told me about . . . .

Dear Mr Kreiskott,

The only way to get a history is by using this form (only available in german or french) and sending it to us by FAX oder by LETTER (not by e-mail!).

As you can see, you have to pay for this database-extract. Due to lack of resources, there is a delay of 5 to 6 weeks at the moment, calculated from the moment the form enters in my unit. Please note that there is no feedback possible in between regarding the result of the research or the state of the work/delaytime.

Kind regards,

Benno Nager
    Head

Federal Department of the Environment,
    Transport, Energy and Communications DETEC
    Federal Roads Office
    Road Traffic Division
    Section Vehicle and Driver Register

Postal address: 3003 Bern, location: Mühlestrasse 2, 3063 Ittigen
    Phone +41 31 324 60 73
    Fax +41 31 324 29 19
    benno.nager@astra.admin.ch
    www.astra.admin.ch

Time to put that college German to some use.

Rick

We Can Be Heroes

Switzerland Calling, Also . . . .

Heard back from AMAG, the Swiss Porsche Agent . . .

Dear Sir,

We have received your (inquiry) and have forwarded it to the appropriate office. As we receive many (inquiries) and try to resolve all matters passed on to us, it may take a little while for you to receive a reply. Nonetheless, we will do our (utmost) to ensure that you receive your reply as quickly as possible.

Kind regards,

Michael Meus

info@gs-uvek.admin.ch

Thanks again, Karim. Exciting.

Rick

We Can Be Heroes

Upgrades

After reading through The Registry for a while, seeing all the things that get done to old 911s, I came up with my own short list of upgrades . . .

First up? . . . . was a pair of 7Rs, for the back. Was sooooo hot for these, after I first found out about ‘em. Genuine Old School Porsche ‘trick’ part . . . . and a really stealthy way to tuck more rubber under the car. Outwardly, indistinguishable from the regular stock road wheels ---so they’d match what the car already has --- but a sneaky inch wider. Can’t have too much traction --- especially in back, right? --- I thought.

But I've cooled-off on these . . . for a number of reasons. Biggest one was the really p!ss-poor way they hold onto tires. I don’t race or auto-cross, but I use my car . . . and I don’t even wanna think about some of the situations/places I’ve been in, where I’ve put tire/wheel integrity to the test --- and what could’ve happened if a tire’d let go. So when I saw Mr Clay’s (Grady Clay) photo . . . . it was a real eye-opener. Turns out that 7Rs also need some other ‘adjustments’ to mount properly . . . including inner-tubes (!) and spacers to fit properly . . . which, to me, comes off as a bit of a kluge. I’m a diligent rotate-and-balancer, too, so having different size tires+wheels front-to-back means, well . . . no rotating. Then there’s the added issue of which size to keep as a spare? ‘Course, I could always solve that --- by getting a full set of five, right?

Oh yeah --- one more little detail. 7Rs cost. Like ~$2000 each, refinished. So, say I wanted to get five? . . . fit some chubbies? ---- rotate to my heart’s content, never worry about the spare . . . . gulp.

'Pass' --- thanks.

Next up was a steering wheel. This is an easy swap . . . and changes the whole personality of a car, how it feels, responds . . .

(I can still remember this CSL wheel, bought from V. Polak --- way back . . . then sold, attached to an Alpina-tweaked 320i, to some lucky civilian out in Torrance. Wish I still had that one . . . the wheel, I mean --- stupid car.)

Anyway, steering-wheel-wise, I needed to do something with 1059 anyway --- could barely get my legs under that ferris wheel she came with, let alone work the gear-change+clutch, let alone hussle the car. Some interesting choices, here. Prototipos seem like the standard deal --- and still available new (dished only, though). The other MOMOs that I like ---- a ‘1’ or ‘Le Mans’ --- seem a bit scarce/pricy. I really like Abarths --- industrial, linear, black --- but old skinny-spoked ones are not exactly plentiful, either . . . missed a beauty a couple years back, now still looking. (‘At’ll teach me.) Did the eBay thing, collected some interesting wheels . . . and still looking. In the mean time, I fitted a Classico R-replica, all black. Looks good, feels good, let’s me shift, too . . . now all I have to do is wait 30 years for it to ‘break in’

Next up is the big-ticket item . . . the Big Tank. Really, really want a 100 or 110 liter, fender-fill ‘long-range’ tank. I’d stuck a proper vintage 20-gal tank into my Roadster, years back . . . . hands-down ---- the best thing I ever did to that car. Happiness is a 500-mile range. (Would do the same to any car that I own ---- I don’t know why more car companies don’t offer this as an option today --- trucks get extra tanks . . . why not cars? . . .) There are several different types of Big Tanks used on 911s --- for a my car, most seem to turn up in race cars. The one I like is the steel one used mostly in SWB cars, has the bump on top for placing the spare tire. I figure about five grand? Plus repairing/re-finishing. Plus sender. Plus strappage, installation, etc. But . . . a ‘must have.’ Either that or fit a rack for some jerry-cans in the rear passenger area. (More here: http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...city-fuel-tank)

The last item relates to an issue that was becoming kinda urgent, lately. 1059 looks to still have most of her original (corduroy) upholstery intact, but now, courtesy of more regular use --- and my 14-stone a$$ --- the driver’s seat upholstery is starting to fail. I actually like/prefer the standard seats she came with --- I think Porsche’s sports seats are fugly --- but 1059’s original seats are pretty bagged-out after 40-some years of service, and re-doing them . . . cost-wise?, performance-wise? . . . well --- this would be the time to make any changes.

So, I want to fit a different seat. My first choice was Recaro. These seem to have been a common period piece, so a Recaro wouldn’t look out of place in my car. Also . . . . I think they look really nice. Sleek, graceful contours, look like they have decent support --- attractive. But --- like a lot of things ‘vintage-Porsche’ . . . . these’re getting cost-stupiditive. I’ve seldom seen actual live seats --- usually just photos --- so looking for, trying on, and purchasing a Recaro is kind of a chore.

There are several outfits that make/sell new seating for my car . . . . but if I could find a decent seat, in good condition, for a fair price --- I really wanted a vintage piece.

So, I started doing some shopping --- contacted, and had several exchanges with, Edmond Harris (http://www.edmondharris.com/), read/studied a lotta posts/pictures in The Registry classifieds. And prowled eBay. I wasn't in a hurry, and I was getting an education as I went along, but I was starting to get a bit disappointed, both with the effort/intricacy/cost of the task --- types of seats, condition, dimensions, sliders, brackets, exchange-rates, who's-on-first --- and more discouragingly . . . the market-place. One recent auction was particularly disheartening, especially some of the commentary . . .

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for......ebay..nm-na

And this is supposed to be my hobby, something to do for ‘fun’ . . . .

Anyway, on one of the threads I was reading, I came across Uli (uai)--- a newish member --- who offered up some help with buying a seat. I wrote him, he wrote me back . . . and I ended up buying this nice little Scheel.

The seat needs some work. Much as I like original stuff, this would probably need some sort of upholstery work in a short time, anyway. So, Uli and I arranged to have Gerrit Blankman, at NML Depot, re-do the upholstery. Gerrit has the correct NOS materials --- and comes highly recommended. The vinyl looks like toast . . . . but I’m hoping that he can save the corduroy. There's also the matter of how things look under the old foam+fabric. We’ll see.

In the mean time, here’s some shots of what Gerrit has identified as an early ’69-’70 Scheel 300, un-restored, $890, so far . . .

Rick
    Last edited by LongRanger; 09-28-2011 at 09:59 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Really cool seat Rick... can't see jack in that photo though. I've given it a good PS toning job... hope you don't mind.
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Instagram: @Mark0Morrissey

More Early Scheel 300

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Morrissey View Post
    . . . Really cool seat Rick... can't see jack in that photo though . . .
    Hey, Mark! . . .

Yeah, sorry 'bout that . . . . tone away, please.

And while you're at it . . . here's a few more . . .

Rick

We Can Be Heroes

[QUOTE=LongRanger;531608]After reading through The Registry for a while, seeing all the things that get done to old 911s, I came up with my own short list of upgrades . . .

First up? . . . . was a pair of 7Rs, for the back. Was sooooo hot for these, after I first found out about ‘em. Genuine Old School Porsche ‘trick’ part . . . . and a really stealthy way to tuck more rubber under the car. Outwardly, indistinguishable from the regular stock road wheels ---so they’d match what the car already has --- but a sneaky inch wider. Can’t have too much traction --- especially in back, right? --- I thought.

But I've cooled-off on these . . . for a number of reasons. Biggest one was the really p!ss-poor way they hold onto tires. I don’t race or auto-cross, but I use my car . . . and I don’t even wanna think about some of the situations/places I’ve been in, where I’ve put tire/wheel integrity to the test --- and what could’ve happened if a tire’d let go. So when I saw Mr Clay’s photo . . . . it was a real eye-opener. Turns out that 7Rs also need some other ‘adjustments’ to mount properly . . . including inner-tubes (!) and spacers to fit properly . . . which, to me, comes off as a bit of a kluge. I’m a diligent rotate-and-balancer, too, so having different size tires+wheels front-to-back means, well . . . no rotating. Then there’s the added issue of which size to keep as a spare? ‘Course, I could always solve that --- by getting a full set of five, right?

Oh yeah --- one more little detail. 7Rs cost. Like ~$2000 each, refinished. So, say I wanted to get five? . . . fit some chubbies? ---- rotate to my heart’s content, never worry about the spare . . . . gulp.

'Pass' --- thanks.

First; congradulations on your choices for a better driving car.

I have commented before on the 7R being suitable for tubless tires and the lack of "safety bead". Gradys photo is partially the fault of the camera. As far as I know his tire still didn't come off. There are photos of later wheels photo flexing in the same manner. I have never seen or heard of a tubless tire with pressure coming off of a wheel without safety beads. Every race weekend thare are dozens of wheels running without saftey beads. The fact is; they work without tubes..
    It is true that 7Rs work better with a 12-15mm spacer. With the spacers the 7Rs will let you put much more rubber under the fender (225s). As far as cost; you may consider widening your wheels for much less if you want wider tires.

Even though I sell 7Rs and widen wheels for a living I wouldn't put more rubber on a car unless it had a big motor or it was used for racing. (IMHO)
    There are tires that fit 6s that are very sticky.
    H
    Last edited by Harvey Weidman; 09-14-2011 at 03:24 PM.

Ten Fifty-nine

I'll back up what Harvey just said about 7R's. I've got them on the back of my 67S, 195 X 65 Goodyears, no tubes, valve stem just pulled into wheel, 3400 mile round trip to Parade, and autocrossed it at Parade. Absolutely no problem. I've run 7R's many times in this configuration. As to the gas tank I'll suggest you contact Mark Allen at Vintage Excellence, right here on this board, he got me a 100 liter tank when I needed one at the last minute, and at a price lower than your guess. As you say, a big tank is great, especially when driving through desolate stretches in the wee hours when no one is open. I can go 450 if I need to, usually got gas at 360 or so, but never put in more than 18 gallons.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.