Page 48 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten Fifty-nine

Strange . . .

Hey, Karim . . . .

Wow --- what a post

Lots to talk about, so I’m gonna take this slow

First of all ---- thank you again for all your suggestions about contacting ASTRA + AMAG for information about the car. Very helpful, my friend

And regarding my contacts . . . yes --- I have been in touch with the Archives at the Porsche Museum --- but not Mr Landenberger . . . a Mr Marc Noack

Next --- I need to clear up what information I have regarding 1059’s ‘build’ date. The only specific date information that I have on the vehicle concerns an ‘invoice’ date --- which is 01.12.69. Not sure how this relates to a ‘build’ date but . . . I did have an off-line exchange w/ davep --- our ‘un-official historian’ . . . some weeks back. His opinion is that --- based on the production number . . . the car was probably built after Dec . . . more like Jan-Feb, ‘70. And, of course, I’ve lost his note so . . . Dave --- if you wanna jump in here? . . . please feel free

Anyway, Dave wrote me that there are a number of bits that have date-codes on them --- wheels + instruments, for example . . . but, also, the hood shocks. (!) There are also some ‘stickers’ affixed to various/sundry bits of the ventilation system, up front, in the trunk . . . those might have dates, as well. Time for some cataloging of date-codes, looks like

Meanwhile, Dave’s observations are telling. Compared with other production numbers that he has build dates for, I’m satisfied that 1059 was built after 01-12-69. Only question might be . . . ‘how long after?’

One clue to that might be found in that photo that Lou Scalzo took in Topanga. Mark Allbaugh said that he remembered a ‘1969’ being on the windshield decal --- which might’ve supported a ’69 build date, I thought. But then I saw an ad in our own ESSES magazine --- offering re-pro windshield decals, like the factory used. ‘Weltmeister Marken, 1969.’ Looking back at Lou’s photo --- and yours . . . I believe the decal that Mark remembered was this same ‘Weltmeister

Like I said . . . I need to catalog some date-codes

Regarding the registration data from ASTRA . . . I always interpreted this record to show one owner --- Sr Mazza --- there was only one name . . . w/ the various locations + dates documenting his ownership history . . .

First registration = 29.12.1971 in BL (Basel-Land) . . . his purchase, his 1st address?
    Change = 4.11.1981 in GR (Graubünden = Davos) . . . still his, change of address?
    Record ends = 28.02.1982 . . . registration expires + vehicle leaves CH?

What is very interesting are your comments concerning Dealers + Swiss registration procedures. You wrote . . .

Quote Originally Posted by 911T1971 View Post
    . . . a Swiss dealer could drive 2 years . . . with exchangable commercial dealer license plates and would therefore not be obliged to privately register it with ASTRA . . .
    If 1059 was delivered to CH --- without going through AMAG . . . then the vehicle could’ve been running around on Dealer plates until 29.12.1971. Then, later --- after Sr Mazza sold/traded it . . . it could’ve sat at a Dealer from 4.11.1981 until 28.2.1982 (an odd last-day-of-the-month-type transaction) . . . showing no recorded/registered Owner for both intervals

But . . . what if 1059 were first sold + came from somewhere else? --- from outside CH? . . . and then brought in by a private individual as a personal used car? After all --- the car was two years old when it first appears in ASTRA’s records. Maybe Mazza moved to CH? . . . brought 1059 with him?

Regardless, there must be some record of where 1059 came from. Cars don’t just ‘show up.’ Anyone registering a vehicle --- new or not . . . would have to show some ownership, then fill out an application . . . + pay money. Is there any source/way to get more detailed information about where 1059 came from? --- from ASTRA? . . . or anyone/anywhere else?

I also read your comments regarding the insignia on the LF fender with interest. I spoke to Lou + Mark some more, and both described the insignia as well-done --- Mark said it looked almost like a stencil. And, as you observed --- it reminds me of the old coach builders’ badges --- Drauz, D’Ieteren Freres, Reutter . . . on 356s

I’ve written before that I believe that 1059 has had at least one shunt --- possibly two . . . with extensive repairs that involved panel replacement. The LF quarter panel is an old-style factory-primed bit. But the left rear quarter was replaced, as well --- and expertly . . . w/ lead. In fact, some excess tin --- used to make the lead ‘stick to the steel . . . was causing the paint to lift, there --- at the LR fender seam. When John Esposito re-finished the car, he’d commented on this repair, and when I’d asked him about the quality of it, he said . . . ‘I don’t know how this was done

So --- now I’m wondering . . .

If the damage + elaborate lead repairs date back to the early ‘70s --- along with the ‘stencil’ –type insignia on the LF fender . . . could this be some kind of ‘signature’ of whoever did the work? Just like those Coachbuilders putting their badges on the car bodies that they built --- did some shop/craftsman ‘sign’ his work? Artists do this . . . but what kind of artist would sign a company’s name to something that he did? Unless . . . he worked for Porsche KG --- and it’s their repair

Or maybe I’m just reading too much into this . . . it's just that I’ve never seen anything like that insignia on any Porsche. And --- to me . . . this insignia is just too deliberate/elaborate

I’ve got some letters to write

Regarding any connection to Jo Siffert . . . I’m not gonna say anything, right now, except --- wow. What is it w/ Porsche + green cars?

One final bit . . .

The only documented ‘family’ 911 that I know of is M Piech’s ’69S’ being restored + documented by Bjorn, here --- see post #20 . . .

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-911S-2.0-1969

This vehicle has a Kardex that identifies the Handler-Nr as 0219 --- a regular external ‘dealer’ delivery code --- vs ‘dealer 100 = factory use.’ I take this to mean that The Family paid for their own cars + went through regular dealers . . . just like regular customers. Makes me think that 1059 wasn't a 'family' car . . .

. . . but she was something different

It‘s still interesting to me that 1059 was first registered into CH on 29.12.1971 --- a date which always sounded to me like an end-of-the-year business-/tax-type transaction . . .

. . . as if 1059 was superseded

No longer needed

Disposed of

. . . and, yet . . . someone re-upholstered her glove compartment?

Strange
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by LongRanger; 05-07-2013 at 12:13 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Rick, you are all precise about your car.
    Of course my post was a long shot and some facts are now no longer valid. (but a few things are still odd).

Possible the car had a shunt and went back quickly to the factory for repair.
    But no regular owner would get that treatment, right ?

Anyhow, your story about 1059 is interresting and actually it gets more and more, hence my earlier post.
    Last edited by 911T1971; 05-11-2013 at 12:37 AM.
    Registry member No.773

Pull

. . . my post was a long shot and some facts are now no longer valid. (but a few things are still odd) . . . no regular owner would get that treatment, right ? . . .
    I agree . . . so I’m not ready to discount anything, yet

There’s a timeline here, that I’m trying to understand . . . and the dates are very odd

Like when 1059 shows up in CH

I looked at a calendar . . . it was a Wednesday --- middle of the week . . .

. . . between Christmas + New Year’s

I’m German. And I can tell you that Germans go crazy for Christmas. And around Christmastime? --- everything stops . . . Weinachten is holy . . . the whole country would be shut-down --- no work --- don’t even think about it

I’m sure the Swiss are the same --- if not more so

And, yet? . . . 4 days after Christmas . . . and two days before New Year’s . . . right in the middle of the High Holy Days ---

Someone crashes the Swiss DMV + pulls some Career Civil Servant out of his home + away from his family + on his Highest Holiday ----- to get a car registered?

What kinda Person has that kinda pull?
    Last edited by LongRanger; 05-07-2013 at 02:17 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Who?

Lou Scalzo (Previous Owner of 1059, '87) went to a car show, this past week-end --- sent me a text + picture . . .

. . . went to the inaugural Pinehurst Concours this past weekend, there I met and talked with Porsche West Coaster Magnus Walker - I told him the story of "1059" . . . also invited me to look him up when I got out to the west coast - maybe we could visit his shop together and drive 1059 there? . . .

Hmm . . . that name name sounds familiar

Anyway, I told him --- 'sure . . . if you drive' (Maybe at'll get him out here?)

Oh --- and Lou's the Guy w/ his ears showing . . .
    Last edited by LongRanger; 05-09-2013 at 04:54 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Ok, Rick, on your request I called Mr. Mazza and spoke to him in german, he does not understand english, here are facts about 1059:

-

-He has no photos, no documents anymore.

-He bought the car at a garage in Davos.

-He does not know anything how the car was imported to Switzerland.

-He remembers that the first owner died and hence the car was transferred and resold later at the Davos garage, where Mr.Mazza got it. He was therefore the second owner.

-He owned the car not very long, less than a year.

-I asked Mr.Mazza twice if he is shure how long he owned the car. He repeated twice: "not very long, less than a year".

-He later sold the car in Davos to a certain "Mr.Nedri/Negri".
    Mr.Nedri/Negri/Nedry/Neri ?? (or something like that - he does not really remember) was - according to him - an Ice-hockey player in Davos.
    (I also could be a Ice Hockey coach, I dont know how exact Mr.Mazzo remembers if it was a player, coach or team member).

-I asked if he is interested on more about his former car and if he wants the current US owner would contact or write to him.
    He told me: "No, I do not wish to be contacted anymore. Its been a long time and I dont want to be bothered anymore. I told you all I know what I know about the car. I know out-there they make a fuss about these old cars but I dont care. Pls. understand and respect my words. I was happy to provide you all I know but I cant help you more and I do not wish to be contacted anymore. Also, I do not have the internet and I do not wish to join."

-

BTW: Davos is a world known place for Ice-hockey and the local club "HC Davos" is world known. Once a year, they host the "SpenglerCup" where the best clubs from the world gather to compete against. From all over the world, Ice Hockey player flock in, including US and many Canadian player. Also, they got hired by the HC Davos and spend a few seasons working for the club. I write this because this could be a reason why the car was later transported over the US. It could also be the reason why there are no documents from 1972-1981, as it might run on foreigner plates but was actually in Switzerland, some kind of an expats thing, anyhow: I dont know.
    HC Davos: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HC_Davos
    SpenglerCup: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spengler_Cup

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    Someone crashes the Swiss DMV + pulls some Career Civil Servant out of his home + away from his family + on his Highest Holiday ----- to get a car registered?
    I assume its purely a tax thing. They wrote the thing up before the holidays (December 20th) but signed the documents for the 29th, as this is the last working day before new year. In Switzerland, you pay car taxes for each day, so the later your new car is registered in the year, the less you pay. Simple.
    BUT: the SpenglerCup is always held between Christmas and New Year. Now, go figure..

-
    Last edited by 911T1971; 05-15-2013 at 08:50 AM.
    Registry member No.773

Dizzy

Another knock-out post, Karim . . .

. . . Ok, Rick, on your request I called Mr. Mazza and spoke to him . . .

. . . He remembers that the first owner died and hence the car was transferred and resold later at the Davos garage, where Mr.Mazza got it . . .
    Holy-moly!

What are the odds? . . .

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    . . . I'm getting dizzy!!!!

I think the previous owner had a nice wife who wanted to make her contribution . . .
    I mean ---- really?

We Can Be Heroes

May, 2013

Whole lot going on, right now --- most of it having to do w/ tracking down The Nasty Car’s ever-convoluting history

The high-light, of course, was Karim’s conversation w/ H Mazza. So much for trying to dig stuff up just using the ‘Net. Nothing beats ‘being there’ . . . or having people willing to extend themselves on your behalf. Take a bow, Karim

What came out of that exchange included . . .
    ..1) a clarification of what turned-out to be Sr Mazza’s brief ownership + . . .
    ..2) . . . the circumstances of 1059’s availability

Even though it’s only hearsay w/ no documentation --- Mazza’s comments about the passing of a previous owner? . . . still boggle. Seems 1059's First Owner died ~late '71

..3) specifics re: 1059’s point-of-sale + dates

In retrospect --- no real surprise, there . . . the key fob that got this whole thing started already said as much. I’m just a little slow about putting things together

Like. . .

Geor. Dürst AG
    Davos
    Golf-Garage 083/6 42 44

Turns out that there’s a Walter Dürst --- in Davos . . . selling sports cars. Funny what a difference an ’umlaut’ makes, huh? Anyway, I pinged him w/ pictures this AM, so . . .

..4) the addition of yet another PO to the list --- Negri the Hockey Guy. A more common name than I would’ve imagined, so . . . I think I’ll wait to see how number 3) turns-out before chasing that one down

Meanwhile . . .

I still have a relatively local Responser/Responsette who’s ‘not,’ so . . . hope to be knocking on a door, this coming week-end

And I’m gonna be trying to connect w/ The Principals of a suspected ‘dealer 100 = factory use’ vehicle, see what else is on their Kardex --- providing they have one

And still trying to find someone w/ an IN at Der Faktory who can maybe get me a little peek at The Nasty Car’s Kardex. No kidding! --- I’ve got a half-dozen names + e-mails that might do The Trick --- + Someone Looking Quietly. I’m just hoping that all this activity doesn’t wear-out too many welcomes before the the doors get closed + files gets locked-up . . . outta disgust w/ this/me. I’ve already made up my mind to try and get into The Museum Archives, anyway --- look-up this stuff myself, so . . . I may be agitating for some Early 911S Registry'd credentialness prior to boarding a flight to Der Vaterland

In the meantime --- what with all the e-mails, texts, phone calls, and misc conversations + sleepless nights . . . if I ever had any suspicions/hunches/flying hypothesiseseses (left!) about what’s going on w/ The Nasty Car? --- well? . . . .

. . . your guesses will be at-least-as-bad as mine

Meanwhile --- just got off the phone w/ Tony, over at TLG. Gonna/gotta get down to The Nasty Car to pull some gauges out + look for some date codes. Except for the tach? --- pulling all the instruments sounds easy enough, so I should be able to put together a list o' dates, shortly. I did take a good look at the front hood shocks, last week . . . but didn’t see anything prosecutorial

Pulled the spare, though --- I know-I know . . . . not exactly most-reliable/least-mobile part of the car . . . but? . . .

4 69
    Last edited by LongRanger; 05-14-2013 at 12:16 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Don't you owe me an email?
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Jo Siffert . . .

Received 11:08 PM, last night, from the Porsche Museum . . .

. . . Hallo Richard,

ich habe jetzt herausgefunden das das Auto 911 030 1059
    im April'71 an Jo Siffert verkauft wurde.

Gruß aus Stuttgart . . .

. . . I just found out that the car 911 030 1059 was sold to Jo Siffert in April '71 . . .
    Last edited by LongRanger; 06-29-2015 at 05:10 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Rick, I told you (even I had my doubts). Amazing !

Siffert died in October 1971, Mr. Mazza got it and road-registered it on December 29th 1971.
    Mr.Mazza was right when he told me on the phone the previous owner died...
    This means Siffert had TWO green 911S.
    An 1970S with black interior (yours 1059) and later an 1971S with beige interior (ex Milou) he got in mid 1971.

BTW: is Mr.Noak shure its april 1971 and NOT april 1970 ???
    Otherwise, who owned it before april 1971 ?
    You need the physical kardex to see their info.
    You got Jo Siffert's only 911 still in original color and with matching interior.
    Either his personal car or a Siffert dealership car (as its not registered in his name at ASTRA neither in his region "FR".)

If you followed the story of Siffert's partner Mr. Blancpain who remembers driving a green 911 from the factory to Siffert, I now think not shure which car he remembers really. Maybe he drove your car and not Ex-Milou's 1971S.
    This would also indicate 1059' first road registration in "BL" in 1970, as this swiss region "BL" is just over the german border !
    Swiss custom in BL (Basel-Land) registered the car as an import, Siffert's dealership got/drove/owned it for a while on dealer plates but the first privately owned road registration at ASTRA by its second owner, Mr.Mazza, was on December 29th 1971, after the death of Jo Siffert.

Maybe below the green 911S in the rear is actually your 1059, not the 1971S which was to be beleived.
    I would almost say it is because the headrest look black (your 1059) and not beige like the Ex-Milou 1971S.
    I strongly beleive the green 911 with FR plate (Swiss region of FR i.e. Fribourg) is actually your 1059.
    We might be able to get the owner info at ASTRA for plate FR 10032 to know which 911 was registered on it.
    Last edited by 911T1971; 05-15-2013 at 01:20 PM.
    Registry member No.773