Page 107 of 109 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109 LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1087

Thread: Ten Fifty-nine

Oh-Yeah --- By The Way . . .

. . . it's on . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...=1#post1157673

. . . f*ckin finally, too

Last edited by LongRanger; 09-09-2023 at 04:10 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Another Siffert picture, possibly with your car. No details were provided.

Name:  1ABAE91F-BE17-4588-88EA-7675A750F684.jpeg
Views: 410
Size:  140.8 KB

https://forum-auto.caradisiac.com/to...lorio/page/24/
    Last edited by Eric Gratz; 10-18-2023 at 02:28 AM.

'Orange Bar' Hood Badge

Doing some tidying-up in the garage, yesterday . . .

. . . came across this

Part of a small horde of bits I picked-up around Watsonville, CA --- back in my 356 days . . . circa 1990? Feels heavy for what it is

Prolly stay with the car . . . but I doubt I'll ever mount it

I prefer the one she came with!

Attached Images Attached Images      

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    Doing some tidying-up in the garage, yesterday . . .

. . . came across this

Part of a small horde of bits I picked-up around Watsonville, CA --- back in my 356 days . . . circa 1990? Feels heavy for what it is

Prolly stay with the car . . . but I doubt I'll ever mount it

I prefer the one she came with!

Great find! Marc
    Marc
    Early 911S Registry #4145
    1970 911S Coupe Sepia Brown
    Houston, TX

Rick, it has taken me a bit to get thru this whole thread, as time allowed, but its a good read. I like your "ethos". As a late life '70 911T (survivor) guy, Ive enjoyed the history lesson and your journey getting the info.

Regarding your impending long-haul to the "Haul Road", perhaps a suggestion. Ive lived a lot of my adult life in AK and have driven it six times interspersed with AK Marine Ferry doing some of the driving. As you have probably figured out, there are lots of ways to get there from where you are starting, but one of the best resources we've used for planning, and still use each time on the drive is a book called "The Milepost". Im sure you've heard of it, but if you havent, you shouldnt make that trip without having that as part of your trip planning and then while you're doing it. It lists all of the businesses and fuel stops on the Alcan by mile and fraction thereof, as well as a lot of other info. Id send you my copy, but its getting dog-eared and is a few years old from last trip. Another thing you might consider is a Garmin In-Reach GPS, communicator. Im happy to lend you mine for your trip. Ive carried one as a bush pilot up there for years and wont go without it. But cell coverage is spotty on that drive. Its nice to have a backup via satellite, and your friends can watch your progress along the way. Good safety tool. The Alcan has a lot of accidents. Its nice to be able to communicate the need for help even in an area without cell. This would allow you to help your fellow man, and maybe bale yourself out of a jam too.

Looking forward to following what happens next with your green machine.

Regards,
    Lew
    Last edited by lbpa18; 02-07-2024 at 12:06 PM.

Dyno Numbers

Hey, Lew . . .

. . . thanks for your note

You, too, Marc

I've been more-than-a-little tardy about updating this account

Spoiler Alert: 1059 diiiiiidn't quite make it to Alaska . . . but I went anyway

Took The Other Car. F*ck it!

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...=1#post1169934

Anyway, 1059 went in to TLG last week for some fettling. And while she was there, I asked rather coyly about maybe getting some dyno numbers

Well. Marco sent me this short note . . .

'Car is done.

185 to the wheels with zero correction factor.

Puts about 205hp at crank
    '

Pickin' her back up, tomorrow

We Can Be Heroes

Alaska '23, Take 1 . . .

Friday, 21-Jul

Car's all serviced + tanked, I'm packed --- and pumped. Added a coupla provisions for the trip: a jack, tire block, big ol' gas can --- nothing too crazy. Got time off, bills paid, mail stopped, plants watered, someone to watch my place

Weather looks to be perfect, too --- warm and clear. And even though there 'll be some traffic, I'm leaving early enough to get past a bunch of it. And besides, it's only Friday. Week-ends are when things can get crowded, especially that time of year

Anyway, good night's sleep, last-minute load-up, a quick 500 calories . . . and then we're gone

Done the route hundreds of times --- at least as far as Canada. Get over to the 5 . . . head North. Straight-forward, direct, but coma-inducingly dull --- at least as far as Redding, but taking the funner coastal route would burn another day. Fun, but . . . some other time

So I get on the highway. Car's running great, humming-along around 120 kph/75 mph. Crack the windows, open the vent, watch the road. Looking forward to getting some Real World on-the-road-at-speed MpG figures, this trip, too. 'Till then I watch the gauge + trip odo, so when I get to ~1/4 left (~450-500 km) --- time for fuel

Which came up at Patterson, one of my usual fuel stops, about 300 miles out. Chevron station. Not the cheapest but I like their gas. Tidy, busy, lotsa snacks, clean bathroom, etc

So as I roll up to the pumps, before I get outta the car, I go looking for my purse, and the wallet therein. Usually on the seat. Sometimes on the floor, in front. Sometimes in back. Maybe on the floor?

You have got to be effing kidding me?

Not here?

Hhhhh . . . left at home

And I think I know exactly where, too. Prolly got left in the garage while I was putting on my shoes. Polly still sitting where I left it

Un-f*cking-believeable

Bigger problem = how do I get home --- without more gas?

I figure I've got maybe 5 gallons left in the tank? Even tip-toeing home, managing low-20s? mpg --- I'd still be a coupla hundred miles short
    But. It just so happens, my Sis is up in Oakland visiting at the time. Could she maybe?, possibly? . . .

Quick phone call + explanation + 'Dublin BART?' + few hours . . .

. . . = whew!

I borrow a coupla hundred bucks, tank up, then blast-off for BACK HOME!

Anyway, touched down ~1800? And sure-enough, as the garage door opens, right there on the floor, right where I set it down to put on my shoes . . . sits my damn purse!

Went inside, threw down a bed roll in the spare room, and slept on the floor

We Can Be Heroes

More Take 1

Dublin BART station

Free parking

Rescuers/Enablers

Pay-to-play

<21 mpg (Hhhhh)

Last edited by LongRanger; 02-12-2024 at 01:57 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    Friday, 21-Jul

Car's all serviced + tanked, I'm packed --- and pumped. Added a coupla provisions for the trip: a jack, tire block, big ol' gas can --- nothing too crazy. Got time off, bills paid, mail stopped, plants watered, someone to watch my place

Weather looks to be perfect, too --- warm and clear. And even though there 'll be some traffic, I'm leaving early enough to get past a bunch of it. And besides, it's only Friday. Week-ends are when things can get crowded, especially that time of year

Anyway, good night's sleep, last-minute load-up, a quick 500 calories . . . and then we're gone

Done the route hundreds of times --- at least as far as Canada. Get over to the 5 . . . head North. Straight-forward, direct, but coma-inducingly dull --- at least as far as Redding, but taking the funner coastal route would burn another day. Fun, but . . . some other time

So I get on the highway. Car's running great, humming-along around 120 kph/75 mph. Crack the windows, open the vent, watch the road. Looking forward to getting some Real World on-the-road-at-speed MpG figures, this trip, too. 'Till then I watch the gauge + trip odo, so when I get to ~1/4 left (~450-500 km) --- time for fuel

Which came up at Patterson, one of my usual fuel stops, about 300 miles out. Chevron station. Not the cheapest but I like their gas. Tidy, busy, lotsa snacks, clean bathroom, etc

So as I roll up to the pumps, before I get outta the car, I go looking for my purse, and the wallet therein. Usually on the seat. Sometimes on the floor, in front. Sometimes in back. Maybe on the floor?

You have got to be effing kidding me?

Not here?

Hhhhh . . . left at home

And I think I know exactly where, too. Prolly got left in the garage while I was putting on my shoes. Polly still sitting where I left it

Un-f*cking-believeable

Bigger problem = how do I get home --- without more gas?

I figure I've got maybe 5 gallons left in the tank? Even tip-toeing home, managing low-20s? mpg --- I'd still be a coupla hundred miles short
    But. It just so happens, my Sis is up in Oakland visiting at the time. Could she maybe?, possibly? . . .

Quick phone call + explanation + 'Dublin BART?' + few hours . . .

. . . = whew!

I borrow a coupla hundred bucks, tank up, then blast-off for BACK HOME!

Anyway, touched down ~1800? And sure-enough, as the garage door opens, right there on the floor, right where I set it down to put on my shoes . . . sits my damn purse!

Went inside, threw down a bed roll in the spare room, and slept on the floor

French saying: Quand on n'a pas de tête, on a des jambes. (When you don't have a head, you have legs).

You were lucky, at the end

One more thing.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111