Page 108 of 109 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109 LastLast
Results 1,071 to 1,080 of 1087

Thread: Ten Fifty-nine

Triple A

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post
    . . . One more thing. . . .
    Hey, Tom

Yeah-yeah-yeah --- got that, too

Just wondering how much fuel they could carry in one of their trucks!

We Can Be Heroes

Meanwhile --- 15 Years Ago . . .

. . . today . . .

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...l=1#post415199

Time SOOOO flies

Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by LongRanger; 03-20-2024 at 05:40 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Alaska '23, Take 2

Woke up the next morning, hot-to-go

All my crap was still in the car, so I just got up, grabbed a quick bite, then jumped in

Topped-off the tank on my my outta town, then hit the road

Light traffic, good weather (warmish?). I'd lost a day but I reminded myself to 'take care of the car', not be in a hurry, or get crazy and do something stupid. Just like the day before, car ran like a train

I hadn't really checked my fuel economy when I'd filled-up that morning, so I stopped-off a little early along the way to get some more fuel, and take a quick calculation. Gauge was showing maybe half-a-tank --- which I knew wasn't accurate . . . but I could at least get some sense of what my fuel range was. I'd just done a hillier patch so I figured this would be a lower-than-usual average

So I pull into the station and there's a bunch o' wanna-be-a-biker types hanging-out at two of the islands. They got their bikes kinda scattered around so I just tippy-toed up to the end of one of the islands, got out, popped the filler door, and proceeded. Don't recall the total gallons but it was a bit more than I expected. I've noticed a LOT of variability at all the stations I use when it comes to how much gas it takes to fill up. So I've gotten to the point where I pretty-much fill-up until I can actually SEE fuel down through the filler before I stop, anymore

Anyway, so I've filled-up the car, closed the filler, hopped back in, turned the key, and? . . .

Click

Are you f*cking kidding me?

Take a deep breath. Turn everything off, pull the key out, put it back in, and? . . .

Click

I can hear the fuel pump running when I turn the key 'on' --- so that lets the batteries + charging system off the hook . . . but the starter 's just not firing

I've got the car parked nose-uphill at the station, so I'm already sweating thinking about rolling the car backwards down the incline and how best to get her re-started once I'm clear of all the pumps and any incoming traffic. And I can just see someone 'helping' push the car . . . and caving-in the lid

So I give the ignition a couple more twingles and after a few more tries --- tah-DAH! . . . the Nasty Car starts

Whew! That's a relief. Take another deep breath, roll outta the station . . . but that's it for 1059. If 2500 km hasn't brought all the bugs out, then I'm not taking any chances on maybe calling for a tow on some Yukon roadside finding out

We're done, here. Back to the Car Hole

'Sides, I've already burned a day-and-a-half now, without even getting outta the state, so we'll sort all this out, later

Anyway, got home without further incident

No pit stop, this time. Threw some gear into the TDi

And took the f*ck off . . . for the 3rd time

!

And, yeah --- this time I made it . . . up + back

Last edited by LongRanger; 03-27-2024 at 07:36 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Sorry to read this, it's kind of a sad story... I would hate to take that Golf instead of a 911!

Did you figure out what caused the starter failure after refueling? I had a Citroen CX that did that quite often when hot and it had to be started by running a wire directly from the battery to the solenoid -- apparently the extra voltage caused the solenoid to unstick. Fixed eventually by rebuilding the starter motor.
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    1972 2.4T Targa Aubergine (MFI) [For sale]
    2002 996 TT Midnight Blue
    Member #3833

Starter Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by frederik View Post
    . . . Sorry to read this, it's kind of a sad story . . . I would hate to take that Golf instead of a 911! . . .
    Hi, Frederik

Yeah --- I was disappointed, too . . . but the TDi has AC, cruise control, and one-touch windows which took most of the sting out. Not-to-mention ~50 mpg fuel economy (!) = no problems finding fuel

K --- it’s not a Porsche . . . but it’s not bad!

Quote Originally Posted by frederik View Post
    . . . you figure out what caused the starter failure after refueling? . . .
    We did

Took 1059 back to Marco’s after I got back. I’d had a click-instead-of-starting episode or two beforehand, but I’d just attributed those to a worn key/operator error/quirky old car/etc. (The ignition switch had already been replaced, previously, remember) So we started out just replacing the starter --- new ‘high-energy’ replacement, super reliable (and powerful --- really ‘zings’).

But I still had an occasional ‘click’. So back to TLG

This time, Marco went over every electrical connection and body ground on the Nasty Car. We also changed back to the OG starter --- which just sounds better . . . but I still kept the replacement just-in-case

Zero issues since

Reliable? Already took the Nasty Car to Florida for Amelia . . . more, later

Last edited by LongRanger; 03-26-2024 at 05:14 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

A Better 'CH' Sticker

Made up a batch of more-accurate ‘CH’ tags so I took some time to replace the one I’d applied earlier

The process was pretty straight-forward enough, if just a bit tedious

First step was to get the old one off. I started out thinking I needed a heat source to loosen-up the adhesive. I had a small hand-held hair dryer I’d been using to dry off my dog, but it turns out I didn’t really need it. Once I’d l lifted one little edge of the decal, the material was sturdy enough that I could just slowly/carefully peel the whole thing off

Good thing, too, ‘cause the lid ‘s alu and I wasn’t super anxious about applying a bunch of heat and maybe frying the paint --- or warping the panel (Gulp!)

Anyway --- 5 minutes and the old decal was off

The left-over stickum residue was a different deal. I had some bug-and-tar remover that I thought would speed the process . . . but it really didn’t. Seems the adhesive was formulated to survive moisture as it was pretty-much impervious to the water-based stuff I was using. Ended-up with me peeling the stuff off the lid pretty-much by hand --- although the B&T remover provided some lubrication once I got any stickum off the surface

Add another ~hour-or-so. Beer helped, sorta

No visible damage or distortion to the panel or marring to the finish when I was done = whew!

Applied some Olde Skoole carnuba, then placed the new tag --- and? . . .

. . . voilà

Last edited by LongRanger; 04-03-2024 at 04:13 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Time for some new road trips then! :-)
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    1972 2.4T Targa Aubergine (MFI) [For sale]
    2002 996 TT Midnight Blue
    Member #3833

In the future for anyone reading this, 3M makes a spray on "Adhesive Remover". Ive used it for years on airplanes, removing years old masking tape, and anything else needing removal of adhesive residue. It does not adversely affect the paint beneath. I would highly recommend it. Ive noticed recently that it is available at Home Depot.

Sorry you werent able to take the 911 John. But if you must substitute, a VW TDI is a great alternative!

Quote Originally Posted by lbpa18 View Post
    In the future for anyone reading this, 3M makes a spray on "Adhesive Remover". Ive used it for years on airplanes, removing years old masking tape, and anything else needing removal of adhesive residue. It does not adversely affect the paint beneath. I would highly recommend it. Ive noticed recently that it is available at Home Depot.

Sorry you werent able to take the 911 John. But if you must substitute, a VW TDI is a great alternative!
    Good point.

It also comes in a quart can. Easier to control. I've used a lot of Super 77 and other spray adhesives and this is a necessary evil.
    Last edited by sithot; 03-30-2024 at 06:16 PM.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post
    Good point.

It also come in a quart can. Easier to control. I've used a lot of Super 77 and other spray adhesives and this is a necessary evil.
    I second this! Been using 3M Adhesive Remover for 30 years. Nothing is better!
    -Chris Mohr

S Registry #1978