Page 58 of 109 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten Fifty-nine

What about Ferry Porsche owned your car before Siffert bought it a few months later, as stated.
    At least its P decal, color and equipment would make it possible.

Another loooong shot, I know.
    But I was right with my first guess about Ex-Siffert ownership.
    Registry member No.773

. . . his

Quote Originally Posted by 911T1971 View Post
    . . . What about Ferry Porsche (perhaps he) owned your car before Siffert bought it a few months later . . . Another loooong shot, I know . . .
    Hey, Karim! . . .

Always good to hear from you

And --- since I’m already about 6-weeks behind updating everything, here, anyway . . .

First off --- when I saw Mr Goriup’s photos of the ex-Ferry Porsche70S’ . . . I could’ve kicked myself for missing Pebble Beach this year. I had no idea that such a car existed --- or that it was expected. Had I known? --- well . . . I’ll attempt to contact the organizers . . . ask if they would pass along my contact information. You never know. Long shot

Anyway, my 1st question, about the F Porsche70 at Pebble, would be what the VIN is --- for comparison

But my 2nd would be . . . . what the Händler Nr is

The only ‘family’ car that I’ve seen the kardex for is, again, the M Piech69 . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...light=piech%2C

That document listed a dealer in Vienna . . . which tells me that ‘family’ cars --- the Piechs, anyway . . . were treated the same as any other customer’s

But, then again . . . Michael Piech is not Ferry Porsche. Was there a special dealer code associated w/ ‘family’ cars? Perhaps if some of the past/current owners of some these shared their Kardex information + what they knew, we’d all learn something. I think it’d be fascinating stuff

Anyway, considering his role in the company, it would not be hard for me to imagine that Mr Porsche would’ve had a new car every year. Indeed --- many of 'em are in The Museum. Which brings up an interesting point . . .

Why were some ‘family’ cars kept? . . . and others not?

The only ‘family’ car that I have any knowledge of --- and all of it, 2nd-hand . . . is the ’61 Carrera 2 Cab --- see post #4 . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ht=Bruce+hinds

I really can’t say enough about just how special this car is --- gift from the employees, special colors + equipment, wrecked during a service, re-built as a GS2000 prototype --- then? . . . .

. . . sold to a ‘friend of the family,’ circa late-60s?

Looking at some of the other ‘family’ cars in The Museum today, I wonder . . . why was such a incredibly personal/utterly-custom/totally one-off Cabriolet --- w/ a prototype motor, yet --- sold-off . . . and D Porsche’s ’72 E Sporto kept? . . .

Same w/ F Porsche’s ’70. How did such a car end up on the grass at Pebble?

So your comment begs the question . . .

Would F Porsche have had two ‘70s?

Personally? . . . I doubt it. Not just because he wouldn’t need two green cars --- Austrian austerity/sense of propriety/parking spaces back at The Family Compound/etc. But also, after seeing the other ‘family’ cars --- w/ their special colors + upholstery + features . . .

. . . I don’t think that 1059 was that 'special

Compared to the 'family' cars? . . . 1059 = just a car

Also --- and I think more importantly . . . I would consider the relationship between F Porsche + Jo Siffert

J Siffert was a racer --- first on motorcycles, then in Formula cars, finally in Sports/GT cars . . . where he was a member of the Teams that won Porsche’s 1st (+ 2nd) World Sports Car Championships --- in 1970 and ’71 . . . w/ 917s. Mr Siffert was also a dealer of Porsche cars, with two dealerships in Switzerland. I have seen photographs of Mr Siffert --- with friends, family, other drivers. But the only photos I’ve seen of him with any Porsche Men . . . are with Huschke Von Hanstein

I think that that’s quite telling. I believe that, regardless of what he accomplished in a Porsche, and whatever he contributed, as either a Racer or Businessman or Representative, to Porsche . . . J Siffert was an Employee

So? . . . who would get to own The Big Boss’s car? A ‘friend of the family’? Or a Deserving Employee? That’s why ‘family’ cars are soooo interesting. The cars are interesting by themselves. But ---- The Stories . . .

Why + for Whom were they built?
    When were they constructed?
    What happened to them?
    And why were some kept? . . . .

. . . and others sold?

. . . and to whom?

usw

And speaking of long-shots . . .

Flying Hypotheses . . .

I believe that 1059 was ‘just a car’ . . . specifically --- a Company Car built for a Company Man doing the Company’s Business

I believe that 1059’s original assignment to Versuch was for convenience, perhaps because that department had the spare budget to pay for the vehicle . . . electric windows + tinted glass + high-end Blaupunkt w/ elec antenna = experimental not --- IMO

I believe that, some time during her early service . . . 1059 was damaged. Not fatally . . . but seriously --- enough that both left-side quarters were replaced

But not casually --- the way I would expect a Mule or Company Hooptie or motor-pool hack would be

When John Esposito was refinishing her, he saw her rear quarter repair, and remarked . . .

I don’t know how they did it

To which I would add . . .

. . . why?

Because I think that maybe --- just maybe . . . someone cared . . . enough to want the job done right

Maybe J Siffert

Because even after pounding around in her for a year . . .

. . . and even after getting another green S . . .

. . . J Siffert bought + kept 1059

Not a Versuchwagen
    Not a Company Car
    Not even F Porsche’s old one . . .

. . . his
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by LongRanger; 09-04-2013 at 05:36 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

F Porsche's 911S . . .

. . . is --- according to the plaque, in front, anyway . . . identified as a '69 . . .

Hhhh

Anyway, I just sent this e-mail --- w/ a photo of F Porsche's car @The Show + my kardex . . . to the Organizers . . .

Hello . . .

My name is Rick Kreiskott and I’m writing to ask for your help: I’m interested in contacting one of the entrants in your recent 2013 Pebble Beach Concours . . . the person/persons connected with the 1969 911S, pictured below . . .

. . . I belong to the Early 911S Registry and own a 1970 Porsche 911S. I recently discovered that my car was originally built for Porsche’s ‘Versuch’ (experimental) department, then sold to one of their contract drivers at the time . . . Jo Siffert . . .

. . . Anyway, I found out about your Entrant’s car after seeing photos of it on the Registry’s web-site. I was pretty excited to read that your Entrant’s car once belonged to Ferry Porsche and would like to find out more about it --- especially any history and details that your Entrant can share . . .

. . . Since I wasn’t there to meet your Entrant and introduce myself personally, I decided to contact you, to request that you please forward my contact information . . .

. . . Thank you for your time . . .

Sincerely, etc . . .

Hoping to hear back from This Guy . . . maybe get some details --- VIN, dates, dealer codes, who-knows-what . . .

Hey --- maybe recruit a New Paying Member!

We Can Be Heroes

Hi Rick

Th Ferry Green car is owned by a terrific enthusiast from Germany. It is indeed a 1970 2.2 S that was built in July of 1969. It is sn# 14. TheKardex notes the first owner as Dr Porsche.

Im not sure what other info you might need, but I can certainly ask for you.

Hope this helps
    David
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Back to The One . . .

Going North, it takes a lot less time to get out of Big Sur + the trees, than in. Molera Park, then the Ventana Sanctuary thing, a coupla weaves and I’m back out on the coastal plain, again . . . pastureland? Definitely cooler

Great time + place for a convertible. I remember doing this --- in my Roadster

Heat on

Not always obvious . . . but the fog's been stalking the coast, this whole time. I like/miss it. This is Pt Sur

We Can Be Heroes

More One . . .

Pass . . .

. . . with . . .

. . . caution

We Can Be Heroes

More One . . .

There're a few fun sets o' corners left . . . but between the tourists, traffic, beach access, and construction? . . .

---- fog does not count!

. . . looks like I'm done . . .

Malpaso* Creek + Carmel Highlands = End o' the Line

* sound familiar? . . . that's the name of Clint Eastwood's production company
    Last edited by LongRanger; 06-12-2020 at 10:12 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

More One . . .

Once I got into town, I made my way towards Pacific Grove . . . Zovig and I were there for a long week-end, not too long ago and really like the place . . . did my best to get lost . . . totally succeeded . . . ended up at the Coco’s over on Lighthouse

Time = 14:30 PDST, km = 73386

Turkey + cheese sandwich, too may fries, slice o' pie --- cherry, please (burp!) . . . quick pit-stop

1059 cooled-off at the curb

Monday lunch rush
    Last edited by LongRanger; 09-06-2013 at 02:33 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

More One . . .

While it may’ve felt like a sunny/foggy Spring Day by the Pacific, out on the 101? . . . felt more like perdition

Head down, blower on, widows cracked . . . take us home, Little One

Tanked-up in Atascadero . . . time = 15:50 PDST, km = 73603
    $55.25 @$4.239/gal = 20.8 MpG since SLO

Took the cut-off @ the 154 out by Lake Cachuma . . .

. . . back in the barn by 19:10 PDST, km = 73902

We Can Be Heroes

Oh, Yeah . . .

. . . found my pressure gauge

We Can Be Heroes