Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The market is speaking...

The market is speaking...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rare-...item19bdc407f6

Ended: Jul 11, 201010:58:04 PDT

Bid history: 5 bids

Sold For: US $16,995.00

"1973 Porsche 911T with genuine sport leather seats and California Blue license plates. Low 118K original miles, absolutely perfect gaps, and rock solid original floors. Genuine early Porsche sport leather seats are extremely rare and difficult to acquire. The seats in this Porsche alone could sell for $4000 or more. Everyone I mentioned these seats to suggested we pull them out and sell them separately. But we are not in the parts business; they came with this car so we opted to leave them with it. The floors on this 911T are as original and unblemished as you are likely to find anywhere; a perfect example how the SF Bay Area climate is the best for preserving old cars. The doors shut with the perfect resounding click of an original car which has never been wrecked or abused. Runs and drives very well. Thanks for looking. Please email any questions, and see 100 detailed pictures at the following link: http://picasaweb.google.com/dustycars/1973Porsche911tTargaOrange?authkey=Gv1sRgCMrbg-rCgMTxKQ#"
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

If the seller hadn't listed it with such a low buy it now price it could have gone higher...

and the car has a 1970 engine fitted in it...

Good points...

One more (an S with no BIN)...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-...item3a5cd601ab

Ended: Jul 14, 201009:43:35 PDT

Bid history: 11 bids

Sold For: US $25,000.00

"My apathy is your gain. This was a running, driving 911 4 years ago. Then over the winter I re-did all the brakes (new soft lines, rebuilt all calipers, new brake pads). During my repair I ended up breaking the hard line that runs above the transmission. So, I had to drop the engine and tranny to fix this hard line. 4 years later the engine awaits for me to put back into the car. Add a new wife and baby on the way and I have become a 911 country song. New tile in the bathroom is much more important than sport seats!

Spend a weekend putting the engine back in the car and have a driving 911. Or, keep taking it apart and start your restoration on a somewhat but not too rusty 911.
    The engine and transmission were tired but again, it drove and drove like hell as a good 911S should. I will miss the smile that would cross my face when the tach would cross 5500 rpm. There is no better sound.

This car is a number matching vehicle. The engine and transmission are original. The wheels are NOT deep six Fuchs. The car has standard seats.

Vin #: 119300326
    Engine #: 6390455
    Trans #: 7191673
    Exterior Color: Ivory / 6804
    Interior Color: Leatherette / 9822

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. The car is located in Holland, Michigan USA 49423."
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa

The Market has spoken, a world record price was just set on a 550 Spyder, I know of a six figure sale on a swb too. Wait for Monterey next month. Mismatched beat targas don't mean a thing.

Don

I'm with you on this one Don!

The Black S that was just posted, the 25K ebay car... it did sell using Buy It Now!

and in this case... did you look at the photos... very rusty to say the least, ok, matching numbers... but in need of a Full Full restoration.... not representative for the market imho..

After watching prices for a while, here is my totally unscientific analysis of the 911 market:

996/997: look out below
    993: still dropping in price but not like a water pumper
    964: is a bottom finally in?
    3.2: somewhat stable, but still drifting lower
    SC's: stable
    mid year: who cares
    long hoods: buyers are lower and sellers are higher.

However, I've been surprised how 911T prices have crept up in the past year. I'm not sure if they'll ever have the "investment value" of an S, but since E and S prices rose and stayed there, a lot of people have drifted toward a T. A really nice driver that would have sold for $25k a year or two ago now may crack the $30's.

I sold my 993 for $29k back in December and thought I was coughing it up. The same car today would probably fetch $25k.

My 997 was the biggest POS I've ever owned, which includes cars built during Detroit's darkest days. Even if you pick up a water pumper with a great warranty, you still have to deal with the steep depreciation curve.
    95 C4 / Guards Red...(Sold)
    2005 997 Carrera Arctic Silver/Black...(Sold)
    95 C4 / Polar Silver...(Sold)
    10 Cayman S / Atlas Grey

Good discussion!...

Note I said "speaking"...

One more for good measure...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1965-...item19bdb209e2

These are actual SALES on eBay (vs. non-sales)...

Ended: Jul 14, 201019:33:52 PDT

Bid history: 83 bids

Winning bid: US $28,951.00

"My fully restored 1965 911 is absolutely drop dead gorgeous inside and out! However, keep in mind that internet pictures tend to make a good car look great, and a great car look good – so please do not misjudge my Porsche’s superior condition based on the pictures I have taken. They truly do this incredibly beautiful, rust-free, fully restored, vintage 911 no justice at all! Please read my ad regarding this rare automobile, then set up an appointment to view it BEFORE the end of the auction, and then submit your highest bid.

To begin with, this is the first time in over 30 years that my Porsche has been advertised for sale. It has been a California car since new. A very good friend of mine purchased it 31 years ago in 1979. He was a very knowledgeable Porsche person. He knew exactly what he had and knew how to properly maintain it and drive it. As a matter of fact, he not only raced SCCA cars extensively in the 60’s and 70’s, he was also an SCCA driving instructor. The only reason he reluctantly sold his Porsche to me in February 2009 was that he decided that it was finally time for a new Carrera Cabriolet – black on black of course!

Mechanically, in 1982 the engine (#907497) and transmission were fully rebuilt from top to bottom to factory specifications. Well, 28 years and 74,000 miles later, the 2 liter/130 hp engine still runs and drives like new! In addition, all other mechanical elements were attended to and thoroughly gone through including all suspension and steering components, brakes, electrical, clutch, etc… Virtually nothing was left untouched! The 5-speed transmission still shifts perfectly (even when cold), the suspension and steering are as nice as you’ll ever experience, and all the wipers, lights, blinkers, gauges, etc…. work, except for the clock. When I purchased the car, I had new brake pads installed all the way around and had the oil changed. I have driven it about 800 miles since. Mechanically, it simply does not get much better! P.S. – the engine was upgraded with stainless steel heat exchangers and the most incredible sounding custom exhaust ever! It literally sounds more like a tricked out 300 hp race car, but it is actually very quiet inside with the windows rolled up because the entire interior was dynomatted to reduce the exterior noise significantly. It’s awesome!

In 2004-2005 the car was totally disassembled for a complete cosmetic restoration. The engine and transmission were removed, the interior was totally stripped, windows taken out, the door, trunk and deck lids, bumpers, trim pieces – EVERYTHING was taken off. It was then media blasted to bare metal, fully prepped, and then a show quality paint job was applied by one of the best paint shops in the Sacramento area. The paint work is exceptional, as it should be for over $12,000!

Next, the interior was totally restored and refinished in top quality materials from World Upholstery and Autos International. The original steering wheel and wood dash trim were restored, as well. The rest of the interior is equally as nice including the gauges, knobs, headliner, dash top, door panels, etc… In addition, all of the chrome pieces on this car were beautifully re-chromed including the ultra rare factory headrest support brackets. It also has fully polished 14” Fuchs alloy wheels with hand painted crests and almost new tires. The spare is the original stamped steel wheel. I also have the jack, 1965 owner’s manual (in excellent condition), custom “stripe matching” bra, and the original front spoiler which is primed and ready to be painted should you desire a more stock, original look. This was a high quality, complete restoration and was truly a labor of love, with no expense spared, by a long time owner who simply never thought he would sell his car. For what it is worth, I would describe this to be a show car quality Porsche that could be driven cross country tomorrow. It essentially needs nothing. Over $50,000 and countless hours were spent by the previous owner to make this 1965 911 what it is today. The receipts alone weigh over 2 pounds!

Although I will not divulge what my reserve price is, I will say this: I am very serious about selling my Porsche. I DO NOT NEED TO SELL FOR FINANCIAL REASONS. However, I do not wish to haggle with strangers on Craigslist and other internet sites. My desire is to sell it as quickly and painlessly as possible on eBay this week. Thus, I have set the reserve price at SIGNIFICANTLY less than the cost of the restoration itself.

Lastly, please note that while this is a true 1965 911 (#301813) it is, in fact, titled (as many were) as a 1966. To quote Porsche expert Dr. Brett Johnson from Page 1 of his book The 911 and 912 Porsche: A Restorers Guide to Authenticity: “While record keeping by the Porsche factory was, all in all, much better than it was in the era of the 356, there are still areas where information is sketchy. There is also some confusion, especially with early models, which may be titled or registered a year later than their production year. When in doubt, go by the chassis number.” 1965 911 cars had VIN numbers 300236 to 30390. The other way to tell is by the paint code. A 1965 model’s paint code should begin with “64.” My paint code is 6406 (Irish Green prior to the restoration)."
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa

Generalizations rarely work with limited production cars that have long option lists. Add varied histories and modifications and it's all trees; no forest.

Right now what's selling for me in Europe is '74-77 coupes and Targas. These cars are so dead in the water here that people rarely even bother to advertise them, I sent two '76 Targas to Germany last month. Two years ago, the only Targas my European friends would consider were softies.

I'm trying to broker a total of 7 911s at the moment (in and around my 'day job') and my observation is that the 964 is weakest of the categories, followed by mid-years and then 996s. Carreras and SCs are at the bottom of their curves, IMO. 993s are splitting into two groups: low 20s and low 30s, depending on a lot of factors.

It's an interesting market. I'm happy to broker deals, but there are very few cars I would buy to preserve capital or profit on right now. Too much uncertainty, and the business news 'double dip' talk of the last 4 weeks has chilled the market considerably -- not in terms of pricing, but by stopping most buying activity altogether.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Quote Originally Posted by 72targa View Post
    I may be missing something, but at $29K, that was a good deal for this 1965.

The 1973 Porsche 911T Targa also seems well bought at $17K.

Quote Originally Posted by 261372
    However, I've been surprised how 911T prices have crept up in the past year.
    I haven't seen that, but I agree with your market analysis.

mid year: who cares
    Doc
    1972 Porsche 911
    2023 Porsche 911 Turbo
    2019 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350

Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Gris View Post
    Right now what's selling for me in Europe is '74-77 coupes and Targas. These cars are so dead in the water here that people rarely even bother to advertise them, I sent two '76 Targas to Germany last month.
    That's interesting, is it because Euro buyers are bottom fishing some deep values here? Personally, if I was going to go the impact bumper route I would pay up for an SC or 3.2, but that's just me.
    95 C4 / Guards Red...(Sold)
    2005 997 Carrera Arctic Silver/Black...(Sold)
    95 C4 / Polar Silver...(Sold)
    10 Cayman S / Atlas Grey