Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: The market is speaking...

Quote Originally Posted by dhopkins View Post
    Is it saying the prices are high or too low?

Don
    Depends, buying or selling?
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964

Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Matt Snyder
    The market is not quite speaking yet for Early 911's...After driving a friends car I found a decent restoration project driver hoping that if I purchased low enough and the economy shows continued signs of improvement, these highly discretionary consumer purchases...Little P cars too might appreciate faster than expected...

Here is a little evidence of that thinking just out today: Three good pieces of news today—lower jobless claims, higher Chicago manufacturing, higher pending home sales--- all suggest better economic growth in 2011.

Sustainable growth, no double dip, and job gains of 160,000 in 2011 compared to 90,00 on average for 2010.

Good News all around.

Happy Holidays!
    Matt Snyder
    Early S # 1902
    Montclair, NJ

68 911 Sunroof coupe polo red
    65 MB 23O sl light ivory 4 spd

Last edited by 72targa; 01-02-2011 at 03:22 PM.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

I agree both these sales were underwhelming......
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

The green 67 S has been for sale for the better part of a year through PCA. I think the ebay price was pretty close to original asking price.
    Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

Quote Originally Posted by Macroni View Post
    Underwhelming in terms of price, the cars or both?

I saw Eade's Targa in the spring when it still had the hot rod motor. Frankly, I'm surprised it didn't bring more $, and I'm not sure what to make of the price. Did anyone see the 67S in person such that they can comment directly?

An S with a Sporto is quite rare. However, the uniqueness of the Sporto is not yet everyone's cup of tea. IMHO the car was well bought at ~44K. As to the 67 I can't say.

Be Well.

Dave
    Registry Member #1583
    '73 911 S Aubergine (VIN#9113301295)

Given the rarity of the Sporto S with all the goodies, I thought it was a low side number.

The 67S was also bought for less than I would have anticipated given the description and the dreck that has recently sold into the low $20s.....

"For sale a well maintained, complete numbers matching (see COA) 1967S.

Originally east coast car sold in Philadelphia to prominent physician. Past owner had car maintained by local Porsche mechanic who directed engine rebuild by "Fast Eddie" Apgar in New Jersey. Car has spent the past three years in Peoria, IL garaged and under car cover. Prior to move car underwent replacement of clutch and rear Bilstein shocks.

Since cars arrival in Midwest it has undergone bare metal repaint to original Irish Green. Original horse hair seats and armrests repaired and recovered in black vinyl. Carpets pulled and replaced with silver German square weave. Original dials in place and in working order.

Car locally maintained by Brad Mauyer, Porsche mechanic of 914 fame.

Original aluminum engine cover, period correct Blaupunkt radio and original manuel included with purchase.

Car offered "as is"."
    Last edited by Macroni; 01-03-2011 at 05:19 AM.
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

Quote Originally Posted by Surf65 View Post
    Here is a little evidence of that thinking just out today: Three good pieces of news today—lower jobless claims, higher Chicago manufacturing, higher pending home sales--- all suggest better economic growth in 2011.

Sustainable growth, no double dip, and job gains of 160,000 in 2011 compared to 90,000 on average for 2010.

Good News all around.
    Hey Matt,
    I think your opinion is correct.

I've been talking with friends that are small business owners (this is very unscientific since it's "car guys"). They tell me a "light switch" went on after 1-3-11. Their phone has been ringing with orders. Eight of ten said they may need to bring people back on the payroll with the increased demand.

Quote Originally Posted by Macroni View Post
    If we assume the PPI was done and passed, I'd agree the "price" was well bought.
    Last edited by Vintage Racer; 01-07-2011 at 10:32 AM.
    Doc
    1972 Porsche 911
    2023 Porsche 911 Turbo
    2019 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350