Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Everything you ever wanted to know about TTG Fog/Driving lights

Regarding the horn grills. The very first swb 4 grill horn grill were sand cast, they didn't offer a cutout in this version. The later 2 screw swb horn grills were die cast in both cutout for lights and non cutout for lights, same for lwb versions. Interestingly the SWB cutout versions vary quite a bit from left side to right side, found this out when I had a pair restored.

Sorteik;
    Do you know if the cut out/non cut out had diffrent part #'s? If do you know the part #'s

Wonderful

Detail is perfect. And this lovely car is for sale now!

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ad.php?t=35831

-Allen-

Btw

I really wonder what this is? It was posted earlier in this thread. If there is a metal case and it is grounded then, with only two wires, it COULD be a relay. We need to see more of how it is hooked up to know. Porsche relays I am familar with also have, at least, three connections. Thanks.

-Alle
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by varunan123 View Post
    Allen

which part are you refering to the pull-push switch that is on-off for the driving lights or the separate fuse box for the TTG driving lights.Fritz gives a good discription on how the system works but no exact photos of how it was wired.I suspect we can come close to how it was done

I contacted fritz for detailed photos of wiring but car has been sold.So, we will have to wait for another.

There are NOS bosch wiring looms available,i will be getting some and will post pictures but wanted to see if they are similar to or exact to Porsche stuff? anyone have any ideas on that?

Raj
    Raj,

I'm referring the black "relay" with green wires in hand in the pic above. Thanks.

-Allen-

Quote Originally Posted by Dr 911E View Post
    Raj,

I'm referring the black "relay" with green wires in hand in the pic above. Thanks.

-Allen-
    Allen, That looks like the Bosch push/ pull switch to me.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Oh

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan View Post
    Allen, That looks like the Bosch push/ pull switch to me.
    OK. I see it now, yes a switch. There are now two related threads, the other over on technical under Relays. I will post info here.

Raj, regarding wiring your TTG lights or under the bumper ones. First, regarding the switch, the push-pull switch seems to be more of a "special use" set up used by the factory for "add-on" options, lights, etc. I think. For "standard" options such as one pair of TTG or Under the bumper fog lights, a standard dash switch was used. In the thread with the picture of the silver early LWB car, you see two what I am calling "stardard" switches for TTG and under the bumper lights..I believe this would be correct for this car. In fact, I think two such switches (but without the rubber "surrounds") would be used on SWB cars. Cars like (your) 911R might, did?, have the Bosch switch.

The wiring diagram for foglights dated 1972 does NOT apply to SWB cars. I don't recall EVER seeing a wiring factory wiring diagram for a production SWB that shows the relay (yellow) for the under the bumper lights. Using these pictures, one could make a harness for under the bumper or TTG lights, the harness would be the same. For the later LWB car above, the entire harness, including wires to the lights themselves is needed because we are talking about a 2nd pair of lights and the fusebox-to-lights harness that comes on the car is for only one set.

I made a harness for my SWB TTG driving lights and used it with a factory relay. I wired those driving lights so they could be activated by the dash switch and would come on and stay on when parking lights or low or high beams were on. I will take pics of my set up and post them in a day or two.

You will recall the wiring for under the bumper fog lights is such that the relay serves the purpose of turning the fog lights OFF when the high beams come on (at least in US and I am talking here about SWB cars)

Also, one "harness" from the fuse box to the lights themselves is present, or should be, on all SWB cars. The harness for switch and relay are NOT standard on a SWB unless it came with a pair of aux lights and must be added. Here are some close ups of the '67S set up for under the bumper fog lights. Again, I don't think I have seen a factory drawing of this complete.

Here is a drawing of the harness from Pat "Buddman" (This same harness can be used to power driving lights; hooked up another way with a relay, driving lights can be made to function, for example, like the way I wired mine).

-Allen-

In this photo

This is from a "67 normal with no fog or driving lights. Do note the white/green wires on the fuse panel. The are hooked up on one side of the fuse but the other side of the fuse is not connected to anything here. The other ends of these wires are found wrapped around the front tube fender supports and can be used for under the bumper or TTG lights. Of course you have to install a harness for the other side of the fuse, switch and relay.

Also posted standard switches from the picture parts book and photos of some of the same. The switches were basically the same but starting in 1968 had a soft rubber surround added; probably for safety as well as looks.

-Allen-

Quote Originally Posted by varunan123 View Post
    michael

I agree it is the pull push switch that fritz removed from above the headlight switch on the front dash to id.It is usually a bosch part.Here is one andy posted on ignition switches and also usd for rear wiper-does come in different sizes.Can get NOS sometimes on fleabay.

Raj
    I should note these are labeled heavy duty 25 amp switches. That means they can power up to about 300 watts (12 x 25) with NO relay. These would be useful to simply wire lights when you basically just wanted them on or off. That is with no "fancy" control of high beams on these lights automatically off, etc. So, for rallying with Frog Eyes, this would be great!

-Allen-

Driving Light Wiring

Raj et al,

Here is the wiring for my '67 with TTG Driving Lights. The grey relay is used and mounted where the yellow one used for '67S fog lights is usually monted. My driving lights are wired such that the red wire with lite white stripe, which runs from the switch, is hooked up to the parking light fuse. In this manner whenever the lights (parking and low or high beams) are on the Driving lights can be turned on with the pull standard pull switch (the back of which is shown)
    Don't be confused by the LWB round relay which was used for my H1s. My H1 lights have 100w bulbs in both low and high beams, so both are switched by this round relay which assures no large currents go through the light switches.
    -Allen-

I'm getting ready to install TTG's on my car. Is there any detail available for my year (LWB)? I see a lot of
    SWB information however nothing specific to my car. I understand there is wiring already in the car from the
    fuse box out to the lights? Correct? How about from the dash?

Thanks for your help.
    Dave Pugh
    '73S #493
    RGRUPPE #627
    http://pughmedia.tumblr.com/