Thread: 1972 911 S Coupé with Rally accessories?

1972 911 S Coupé with Rally accessories?

Hi,

Since about a year I own VIN# 9112300211, a 1972 Porsche 911 S Coupé. It's in pretty bad condition, and is currently undergoing a complete bare-shell restoration.

During breaking it apart I found brackets for what I think was a half roll bar. I also found holes for a bracket in the fire wall, and a strange power outlet under the dash, above the passenger rear knee.

When blasted I noticed reinforcements around the torsion tube, and some kind of reinforcements to the rear sway bar mounts.

Also, the car originally came with a sunroof, which was later changed to a roof without sunroof. It seems to be changed early in the life of the car, since the roof has been painted in the originally green metallic at some point.

The work performed seems to be pretty solid, maybe not up to todays standards but I don't know how good tools they had back then.

The car has obviously been rallyed or maybe raced, even though I'm leaning toward rally. The floors are covered with small and large dents, and the car shows signs of previous damage on several body parts.

The original engine is gone since at least 25 years, and the COA shows it was delivered with engine # 6320356. Other than that it had no performance options in the COA. Car was originally delivered Oct. 1st, 1971.

I still don't know where it was originally delivered, but I know it was registred in Sweden 1986, and was then a full-blown red 911 Turbo G model look-alike with a 2,7 CIS. I'm guessing it was imported from Germany, since that was common in the mid-eighties. By then it had no roll bar, and the reason I know that is that a roll bar has to be in the swedish registration documents, and it's not.

I have tried posting this at Pelican Parts as well as a german porsche site, but no-one has been able to help me with the history. I have gotten a lot of help with the things that have been changed to the car though. I'm hoping someone recognizes the VIN# or maybe have seen the car on a photo somewhere.

I'm guessing it was active in motorsport sometime betweeen 1972-1986. During this period it should have been the original green metallic, at least in the beginning. Might have been changed to red later on, but I expect that was made once it went into the 930 look. I can only find red and green paint on the car today.

Any ideas or information would be very appreciated! It's so frustrating to find out the car has an interesting past, but no-where to start looking! The german DMV is a dead end street, since the info isn't official and they scrap information after a few years. Same in Sweden, the documentation from when imported was scrapped long ago.

Please let me know if I can provide additional photos or information.

Thanks,

Johan
    Attached Images Attached Images      

More pics....
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Anyone? Any ideas would be very appreciated....

Now I know it was delivered new from Porsche Hahn in Germany so it should have been rallyed in germany.

Johan

You might post in the general theme board section and not in the technical one to see your article by more visitors and get more replys.

here.
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...isplay.php?f=2
    Registry member No.773

Hi,

now when this thread is moved to the general section, maybe someone has some more info to share?

One of the thoughts I have, is about the electrical connector. Could that be something where e.g. a speedpilot could be connected?

I've since posting learnt that the car was delivered to Hahn outside Stuttgart Oct. 1st 1971.

Johan

Johan

I suppose it is hard to say when this bracket was added during the life of the car.

A Speedpilot or the more likely Twinmaster trip meter, are both mechanically driven devices, they would only have a single wire going to them (+ive feed, as the case will be earthed to the shell).

Later, mid - late 1970s electronic trip meters will have multiple wire system coming from a sensor on either the wheel or the speedo cable, and would have a two cable (+ive & -ive) power supply to them

However, your 3 connector plug is proabaly for other electrical devices the co-driver might have, such as a map light or poti (an illuminated map magnifier).
    Cheers

Mike

Any updates?
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by jsoderbe View Post
    . . . Since about a year I own VIN# 9112300211, a 1972 Porsche 911 S Coupé. It's in pretty bad condition, and is currently undergoing a complete bare-shell restoration.

During breaking it apart I found brackets for what I think was a half roll bar. I also found holes for a bracket in the fire wall, and a strange power outlet under the dash, above the passenger rear knee.

When blasted I noticed reinforcements around the torsion tube, and some kind of reinforcements to the rear sway bar mounts.

Also, the car originally came with a sunroof, which was later changed to a roof without sunroof. It seems to be changed early in the life of the car, since the roof has been painted in the originally green metallic at some point.

The work performed seems to be pretty solid, maybe not up to todays standards but I don't know how good tools they had back then.

The car has obviously been rallyed or maybe raced, even though I'm leaning toward rally. The floors are covered with small and large dents, and the car shows signs of previous damage on several body parts . . .

. . . I'm guessing it was active in motorsport sometime betweeen 1972-1986. During this period it should have been the original green metallic, at least in the beginning. Might have been changed to red later on, but I expect that was made once it went into the 930 look. I can only find red and green paint on the car today . . .
    VIN = 9112300211
    Eng# = 6320356
    Trans# = ?

Another car w/ evidence of race-prepping --- in green, too . . .

What ever happened w/ this? --- any updates?

We Can Be Heroes

We have a Mike B on Porsche Club Ireland and DDk Forum. I will PM him a link to this, it might be the same Mike B, sounds like him !

Quote Originally Posted by majordad View Post
    . . . We have a Mike B on Porsche Club Ireland and DDk Forum. I will PM him a link to this, it might be the same Mike B, sounds like him ! .
    . .

Anything?

All these 'rallye' fitted/equipped cars are pretty fascinating --- if not for their bits, then for the lives they've led . . .

Another mention . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by 72targa View Post

We Can Be Heroes