Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Singer lives !!

Singer lives !!

If you all recall, at last years Monterey Historics, the last Monterey Historics it turned out, and with Porsche the featured marque, the Singer 911 created quite a buzz. Negative comments from the "usual suspects" aside, I felt the car represented an interesting new take on the hoary old Longhood models......and then, it seems, the comments and interest stopped as suddenly as the chatter started.

It was with delight that I ran across this bit of news yesterday:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/04/d...roduction-911/

Good on Rob D. and the crew that created this remakable machine. May they live long, grow and prosper.
    JZG
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Thumbs up

Hey, I'm in a couple of those pics..........

VERY interesting, and beautifully executed, first production car...

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Very nice car!

I realize that interior rear view mirror is different from prototype unit. In the proto had a roof fixation I think. Also fog lights have been changed. I prefer the proto lights, are beautifully executed.

I also can see an RSR type steering wheel, beautiful!!

David

P.S: I've been planning to build my own version with a 993 as a donor car Zuffenhaus will help me with that...
    _
    “Simplify and add lightness” Colin Chapman

ex-1988 Carrera, ex-1991 Turbo, ex-1992 968, ex-1990 Carrera 2, ex-1997 Carrera 4

Thanks for the update! I see that they've upgraded their website with some really beautiful photos and detailed descriptions of specs. There's something very special about a fully-realized hot rod like this, whether or not each of the details is your particular cup of tea. As Top Gear said: "Sell a kidney..."

http://www.singervehicledesign.com/

Chuck!

Did you wear a dress for the photo shoot?

Just kidding.

Bill
    Currently:
    67 3.6 Rocket "Silver"
    62 T6 Outlaw Coupe "ole Yellow"
    65 F100 Custom Cab Flairside Shortbed

Gone but not forgotten in last 2 years:
    67S Concours King
    67 912 Vintage Racer
    68 912 Flipper
    83 911SC
    93 Mo30 968

too many cars before that

Early S Registry # 787
    R Gruppe # 551

"its better to wear out then rust out"

I went to the Singer site and looked at the build sheet/ options list. I think I heard that the price was aprox 200K, when you look at how comprehensive the re-manufacturing is I understand the cost, and I think its fair.

There are lots of great ideas, that could be incorporated in a restoration/ rebuild of a 911.
    Rob Abbott

member #1515
    It is a very well done and beautiful car but... One could take a 964 and lighten the h... out of it and have pretty close to this. I mean the 964 brought the 911 into the 21st century but kept most of the 911 charm. I'm sure one could retrofit older style bumpers etc , maybe converting to a long hood would be a stretch.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Yes, it has a 964 spirit of putting modern comforts and usability into an early 911. His idea was for a car that could do everything well, if not doing something better than anyone else. It could be a daily driver, canyon carver, and a track day toy all in one.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Clearly There's a Market for This Car

The Singer is more of a hot rod than it is a tribute or recreation. For pure performance, a bone-stock 997 Turbo S ordered from your local Porsche store is a better value than anything from Alois Ruf at .75% of the cost of a Singer, but I salute the California hot rod spirit shown by Singer's creation. Along these hot rod lines, Moal Coachbuilders is going to be showing their Gatto at the Quail next week -- a Ferrari 250 TR motor in a custom body that screams Zagato Maserati (to me). I've always been drawn to the TR/RS Porsche -- and the Singer captures the spirit with modern performance and convenience. The good news is that they're not bastardizing old cars...

Here's the Moal Gatto:

Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    It is a very well done and beautiful car but... One could take a 964 and lighten the h... out of it and have pretty close to this. I mean the 964 brought the 911 into the 21st century but kept most of the 911 charm. I'm sure one could retrofit older style bumpers etc , maybe converting to a long hood would be a stretch.
    David

Already happening in the UK for a few years now,

http://www.psautoart.com/index.php?c...27&id_xtra=427
    Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681