Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Concorso Italiano 2010

My Hero!

Saw this car up in Sausalito a few months back. Here's some under-the-hood and interior shots.

Love 'beat' cars. Drive without guilt.

Check out the hood 'scot
    Attached Images Attached Images    

We Can Be Heroes

Then Again . . .

. . . these cars do clean up nicely.

Check out the engine-turned trim bits.

We Can Be Heroes

Panteras

Not a bad car . . . until all the wings, pearl paint-jobs, and polishing start. I swear --- these Guys can not leave their poor cars alone.

Found one stock car.

We Can Be Heroes

I saw this Pegaso at the Father's Day car show on Rodeo Drive. Do you have any front shots of the coupe?

They had no information on the car. Not even that it was Spanish.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

As requested, a frontal portrait.

I particularly like the contraqst of the silver exterior and the deep red engine compartment with the engine-turned aluminum trim......something to file away for a future project.

Pegaso has a similar history as Lamgorghini. A wealthy Barcelona industrialist, circa early '50s, who manufactured agricultural and construction equipment, didn't appreciate being ignored by Enzo when he wanted to buy a Ferrari, and so decided to build his own Spanish Ferrai as it were. Trouble is, not being nearly as clever and grounded in motor-racing as the Commendatore was, he neglected to build speed & endurance racing reliability into his cars, never sold enough of them to raise the budget required to go racing in earnest and prove himeself in competition, and quietly folded in 1958 after building & selling less than 100 cars altogether. Most were coupes, and as you can tell by the Superleggera emblem, Touring was the coachbuilder for most Pegasos.
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Where do these legends about "industrialists snubbed by Ferrari" come from? The Pegaso Z-102 was built by the Enasa truck company, which was incorporated with the help of Studebaker after the Second World War from the remains of the Spanish branch of Hispano-Suiza. The chief engineer was Wilfredo Ricart, a former Alfa Romeo grand prix engineer much admired by Vittorio Jano. Ricart and the directors of Enasa wanted a halo product in 1951, long before Enzo was snubbing anybody. What's more, the reality is quite the opposite of the legend: Historians state that Enzo Ferrari always blamed Wilfredo Ricart for his demotion at Alfa Romeo at the end of the 1930's, and that Enzo then went out and built his Auto-Avio Costruzione 815 to prove his superiority to Ricart!

BTW, back when the Concorso was still at Quail I spoke with Jack Vopal and his son-in-law about their Pegaso. In fact, they do happen to own a machine shop...

Does it have a Hispano-Suiza engine or Pegaso or ALFA, or ???
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Quote Originally Posted by Flieger View Post
    Does it have a Hispano-Suiza engine or Pegaso or ALFA, or ???
    Pegaso all-alloy DOHC V-8 engine with 5-speed box and De Dion rear axle, designed and manufactured in-house for the Z-102. Remember, Ferraris of 1951 are pretty crude, other than having 12 cylinders. The Pegaso Z-102 is a work of art in comparison, clothed by the top houses of the post-war period such as Touring Superleggera and Saoutchik in over-the-top bodies.

In my opinion, Pegaso CEO and Chief Engineer Wilfredo Ricart was (again) thumbing his nose at Enzo...

Sorry for the non-Porsche digression, but I'd like to share just a little more on Pegaso: ENASA did race their Pegaso GT's at Le Mans, Reims, and in the Carrera Panamericana. However, Wilfredo Ricart is quoted in Automobile Quarterly Vol. 39 no. 3 as saying that, "Spain is a poor country and we decided to make jewels for the rich." Spain needed trucks and busses, not supercars "not for the general populace, but something outstanding." I also suspect that international sales were limited by the fact that Generalissimo Francisco Franco (still dead) was generally reviled at the time in a way that we today might relate to Mahmoud Ahmadinejad or Hugo Chavez, and people just didn't want products associated with his dictatorship.

It was mentioned above that it must have taken testicular fortitude to take on this project. It took even more: Jack Vopal's son found the car in (I believe) Bilbao and bought it to restore. Sadly, he became ill and passed away before the project could be completed. Jack and his son-in-law (I apologize for not recalling his name) completed the project as a memorial to his unrealized dream. Their gray Z-102 is a true labor of love.

One of my favorite Pegasos is the "Bacalao" (Codfish) transporter truck:

Lamborghini Now . . .

Murcielago. Wonderful subtle shade of trafficante di droga dell'arancio della perla. Svelte, too. Kinda like a PT boat. 'Bout the same size, too. Parked next to the Pantera Guys. I'll look for more pearl orange Panteras at next year's show.

Oh! -- and is that an SV? How can you tell?

We Can Be Heroes