Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Concorso Italiano 2010

. . . and Lamboghini Then

What else, but . . .

Love this car. Typical 'lost in the 80s,' I know. But IMHO these cars still scream exotic. Maybe it was that the Countach was the first car to really shock people --- especially those who didn't even know what it was --- all planer and sharp-edged, scissor doors, jet-intake radiators, criminy . . . it doesn't even matter if it moves. So 'in your face.'

Not the best proportioned car, and not pretty, really (like in these colors) --- although they look really really evil-nasty in the darker blues and greens --- but still . . .

Let Batman run around in his black phallic jet car. Or that jumping tank thing.

Get the Riddler . . . . a Countach.

In green.

With a wing . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images      

We Can Be Heroes

Miura

I remember the first time I ever saw a Muira. It was sitting in the old Briggs Cunningham museum, behind the airport, off of Redhill, probably late 70s. Looking down on this odd, tight car --- I couldn't believe it had actually had a V12 stuffed sideways, into the back, right next to a glass window --- right behind the driver's head. Impossible packaging --- I mean, there was a gearbox squished in there, somewhere, too! Amazing.

The car was slinky enough, but I didn't think it was beautiful --- it looked too short and had those Halibut head-lights. Kinda weird, self-conscious. Chassis looked like a bunch of angle-iron built by convicts. Not exactly top-shelf.

I've gotten used to the headlights but the proportions still haven't grown on me. And I never see these cars, except in magazines. And car shows.

We Can Be Heroes

'Appropriate Attire' . . . .

Ferrari Guys. (I hope!)

Don't laugh. I'm sure the Piloti distributor has a really really nice bass-boat courtesy of all of his P-car pilot patronage.

Somebody cue the calliope.

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    And I never see these cars, except in magazines. And car shows.
    Year before last I was driving down to Long Beach for the ALMS race in my BMW (cruise control and Xenon lights...), when coming up out of San Luis on U.S. 101 I was passed by a time-capsule Lamborghini P400S Miura in period perfect Peter Max orange. I followed in my more modern motor for the next hundred miles down to Santa Barbara as the old beast leapfrogged lesser traffic, snap-crackle-and-popping on the over-run. Perhaps not quite Rossano Brazzi on the Brenner Pass, but that cinematic V-12 sure sounded good off canyon walls as we powered in train through the Gaviota Gap made famous by Dustin Hoffman driving a lesser Italian in The Graduate. Along the coast we passed half-a-dozen CHP-pies who simply nodded and smiled as if we were the papal motorcade; that sunny afternoon’s motoring put me in a fine mood for the rest of the weekend. Thank you, whoever you were!

Coming Soon . . .

The new Fiat 500.

Not bad looking on the outside. Curious about the pricing --- and performance --- versus the Mini.

We Can Be Heroes

Big Stuff

My favorite late-model Ferraris

F40 . . . 'cause everybody talks about the fire-cracker power-delivery --- including Derek Bell. (He also loves his 924 Carrera GTS, so, he's not totally FoS . . .)

And the Enzo. What can I say about a $1m+ sports-car you can't buy with a manual trans. When it first came out, I really wanted to hate this car. And the Android/devil-spawn who helped develop it. I still don't like the pustular tail-lights or the Jimmy-Durante schnahzola . . . but this would be one heck of a way to get to work in the morning. What is behind you is of NO importance.

We Can Be Heroes

Concorso Italiano 2010

Great pictures Rick, (and commentary!) thanks for sharing
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thumbs up

GREAT pics Rick.........

It was a GREAT day ... Even a few p-cars showed up .......
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Thumbs up

Along with the other drop dead jewelery...........
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Alfa Romeo

Great pics of that Alfa, Chuck . . .

I remember seeing this car out on the green at Del Monte, a few years back. Those see-through wheel spats . . . and looks bigger in photos than it really is, like a locomotive.

I believe this same car was in the pits Saturday, at Laguna Seca ---- the interior is just spectacular --- peanut-butter colored leather everything.

Somebody needs to start a thread on The Historics . . . . brought my camera . . . but left the battery on the charger.

Rick Kreiskott

We Can Be Heroes