Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: '69-'73 Replacement Dash @ Lakewell

Many vendors buy right from Porsche and turn around and sell them to make a buck. Are these Lakewell dashes made in house, or exclusivley for Lakewell? If not, they may be the same ones Porsche has been marketing for the last few years that don't fit. On this board there was a very long thread about this subject a few years ago. Does the Lakewell unit come with the speaker grill? I love Tony and his work, but a recovered dash does not work for a concour restoration. If you don't care and it's your own car, Tony is a great way to go. As for Lakewell's price, it's great if it fits correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan View Post
    Hopefully the "NOS Dash" they patterned this offering from is not one of the ill fitting units currently available from Porsche.
    It's clear from the photo that the Lakewell dash is not the same as the "replacement" dash coming from Stoddard, etc. The front passenger side corner of the speaker grille is not as close to the defrost vent cutout. Without measuring the photo, it appears the speaker grille cutout may be narrower. In any case, if you've been around these dashes as much as I have you know that the first two places that crack are to the right and above the clock and the narrow strip between the speaker grille opening and the right defroster opening. Repro parts are usually altered from the original to some degree -- sometimes to avoid failure points. That may be the case with this repro dash.

The Stoddard replacement dash has defroster cutouts that are too "deep" into the dash and leave a gap at the rear of the defroster bezels that is hard to fix without surgery to the dash structure and/or dash top. The Lakewell part, judging by the photo, could fit more tightly to the defroster guides.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

For what it's worth, I've attached a few pics of the current new production Porsche dash (offered by MSROADRACE). The finish quality on the bottom side looks poor and definitely differs from the Lakewell dash. Also, notice the size of the speaker opening and what little material is present at the back edge near the vent cutout. Prone to cracking?
    Lakewell has guaranteed a proper fit with their dash. I suppose if someone is willing to risk the $150 shipping + another $150 to return ship in the event the fit is bad...
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by kentf14; 12-15-2010 at 09:39 AM.
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

I have asked one of my contacts in Germany to scour the "oldtimer" BBSs and see what reports there are on this product. it's marketed under various names in Yurrup.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Gris View Post
    It's clear from the photo that the Lakewell dash is not the same as the "replacement" dash coming from Stoddard, etc. .
    That much I knew for sure. I do like that they added more support under the grill insert. It would just suck if they used the "replacement" dash for the dimensioning of this new product.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan View Post
    That much I knew for sure. I do like that they added more support under the grill insert. It would just suck if they used the "replacement" dash for the dimensioning of this new product.
    I agree, that would suck for sure. It doesn't look to be the case at least from the moulding on the bottom side. If you look at the area in front of the speaker on the bottom side of the new Porsche Stoddard dash (post #15) it almost looks like the vent cutout found in later model dashes has just been filled in. You can make out the relief for the vent there. The same area in the Lakewell et al dash is completely filled in and smooth.
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '73 S Coupe #306

I have a nos mid seventies production porsche factory dash available. This is the one Porsche came up with in response to the cracks next to the removable speaker grill. The top of the dash is one piece with the perforations for the speaker. It does fit nicely as its made on the original frame as the 69-73, not the later versions posted here
    Cost is $1300
    contact me at tremotorsports@gmail.com if you are interested
    thanks
    dave
    Member #755
    Conda Green 70 911S
    70 black 914-6 3.2
    70 911 "Speedster" project
    "74 IROC" tribute Jade Green RSR

Thanks Dave. The dash you are describing is the one I have in my car currently. I'll also be looking to sell mine once I find a good replacement.

-kent
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '73 S Coupe #306

The same dash that Lakewell are advertising is available from this retailer in Germany for 660 euros:

http://www.911intern.com/

Click on 'Ersatzteile' then on the picture of the dashtop.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105