Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum Blau 911R Oil Cap

Aluminum Blau 911R Oil Cap

Hi Guys,

Gauging interest out there for an all aluminum 911R oil cap.
    I have put together a correct 911R oil cap using vintage knurled edge Blau 80mm caps. The two piece aluminum fin is connected to to the cap using 3600psi autobody epoxy. Both cap and fin are aluminum as originally on the 911R. Since the caps are vintage (used) each one has its own bit of patina.

Here is a picture of my first prototype. Price $250

Best regards,

Brad
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Brad Davis
    RGruppe #691
    Early 911S #1547

Does it come with the receiver?
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Hi Marco,

I would be happy to include the Blau receiver with the cap as part of the package. I have a number of the steel, 30mm tall, Blau necks coming in hopefully mid September.

Thanks,

Brad
    Brad Davis
    RGruppe #691
    Early 911S #1547

Brad,

This is something that has already been partially done by Eric Shea at PMB Performance, the same guy that is the master with calipers.

He offers the fin for $40, and the caps are often found on the Samba and eBay for pretty cheap.

http://www.pmbperformance.com/catalo...34/7341681.htm

Not meaning to cut in on any potential business, just thought I would put it out there.

Peter

Hi Peter,

I appreciate the feedback.

All of the blank Blau caps available on Ebay, swap meets and The Samba are steel and in the cog style. The 911R oil tank originally used an 80mm Blau aluminum cap with a knurled edge. There may have been some R's with an aluminum cog style cap, but I have not been able to find any pictures showing such a cap in use. Finding an all aluminum, blank, knurled edge, 80mm Blau cap these days is the tough part. This is where, I think, the cap I have come up with is special.

Best regards,

Brad
    Brad Davis
    RGruppe #691
    Early 911S #1547

Agree with Brad's comments - if I was building another 911R-style car I'd definitely be interested in one.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Davis View Post
    Hi Peter,

I appreciate the feedback.

All of the blank Blau caps available on Ebay, swap meets and The Samba are steel and in the cog style. The 911R oil tank originally used an 80mm Blau aluminum cap with a knurled edge. There may have been some R's with an aluminum cog style cap, but I have not been able to find any pictures showing such a cap in use. Finding an all aluminum, blank, knurled edge, 80mm Blau cap these days is the tough part. This is where, I think, the cap I have come up with is special.

Best regards,

Brad

Brad,

Thanks for the clarification, I stand corrected! I was under the assumption that the 914/6GT and 911R share the same oil cap, the cogged one. I have found a few of the aluminum cogged ones to add Eric's fin.

Peter

Thanks guys.

Good ideas, Raj. I am looking at using silver solder rather than epoxy. Silver solder on aluminum does not seem to work out so well. Anyone have any ideas or techniques?

Best regards,

Brad
    Brad Davis
    RGruppe #691
    Early 911S #1547

Both silver and aluminum have very high thermal conductivities, so when silver soldering you would need to heat up the parts and use a lot of heat to keep the solder liquid. I really don't know if it could be done successfully.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Filler caps

Wartburg used them in the Sixties.

I think silver soldering them will be a problem. The melting point of the solder is just too high and the type of fluxes used with these solders are also a problem.

A typical flux for silver solder that will work well on aluminium may not melt until over 550 degC .

This is quite close to the melting point of the aluminium (660deg) and is certainly hot enough affect the cold worked sturcture of the Aluminium and cause distortion, the cap dome would also sag at this type of temperature.

There is a very low melting point flux called 'Solder -It' which would be worth trying with a low melting point solder. You need temperatures of less than 300degC to avoid sags. (Most simple alloys lose strength quickly at about 50% of melting point)

You could also try a good lead/tin/silver soft solder. These tend to melt at around 185 to 220 degC and would eliminate distortion. A gentle propane flame should work with the correct flux.

There is a Multi core version of this available with an Aluminium compatible flux called Alusol in 1mm diameter coils, mnufactured by Henkel-Loctite, I think.