Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Northeast 'RED' Mountain Rally

2011 Northeast 'RED' Mountain Rally

edit: Dates will be May 19 - 22, 2011

After the great success of the 2010 NEMM last May, this seems to be a good time to put out an early posting to get a feel for how many to expect for the '11 version.

Dana and I had a conversation at the Lime Rock Vintage races recently about what was good and bad about the NEMM. Most of the feedback from everyone has been good, but I think it's worth trying some changes to make it better. We're thinking that instead of a point to point rally maybe it makes more sense to base the rally at one hotel and do loop drives that start and finish at the same place every day. This obviously only works if there are some great drives in every direction from the base. In the course of our conversation we kept coming back to the area around Crawford Notch, NH. There are amazing roads in all directions from the Notch. (Those of you who did the rally last year might remember going through Crawford Notch on Sunday morning. It was just before we got on Bear Notch Rd. to head over to the Kangamagus Highway on our way back towards Lincoln, NH where we stayed Saturday night.) I scouted some of the roads to the north and east into Maine while on vacation last summer, and they are fantastic! We did some of the roads to the south and west last year during the rally, and I think most would agree they are pretty good. Another advantage of this idea is that all of the luggage stays in the room, and people who want to get out on the roads early can get up and get going before there is much local traffic.

The idea is still 3 days / 1000 miles, but all of the routes can be done individually or in groups, whenever. This would cut down on the parade aspect, where the cars at the back never experience the fun that the guys at the front are having. We would all meet back at the hotel, late afternoon, for drinks, tall tales and dinner. And do the whole thing again the next couple days on different roads.

There are many ski areas in the area and many hotels/motels to service them. The crown jewel is the Mount Washington Hotel, built in the early 1900s, and recently restored. It's a bit pricey, but Dana has been in touch with the manager to see what kind of group discount we could get. One advantage in staying here is that they also own a large motel across the street in Bretton Woods with more modest rooms and cheaper rates for those not into the glitz of the MWH. The reason for this early post is to get an idea of who is coming, so we can lock up a group of rooms.

This would be an experiment to see if this idea works better than the point to point rally, if it doesn't work - we can always try something else for the '12 version.

Another option that we need to figure out is the date. Last year we did the rally the weekend before Memorial Day weekend. This year that would be May 20 - 22, we could also do it the weekend before which is May 13 - 15. We don't want to do it earlier because of Mother's Day, and the fact that some of the roads we will be driving are closed for the winter and don't open until early May, and we don't want to do the rally later because of tourist traffic. I don't really have a preference for the date, does anyone have a reason why one weekend is preferable?

Oh, and the name. Last year I'm afraid we stepped on Rich Taylor's toes with the name. He does a "for profit" rally in the south called the Mountain Mille, and somehow this fact slipped through the cracks until Paul had already had the decals and tee shirts printed up, so we couldn't change. I think it makes sense to just call it the Northeast Mountain Rally. OK, I know, I know, subtitled the "RED R"

edit: It looks as though * NORTHEAST RED MOUNTAIN RALLY * will be the official designation.

This should be another fun weekend on some great mountain roads, hope to see everyone back again.

edit: For anyone that missed it last year, here is a link to the 2010 thread: http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ad.php?t=33557

And here is a link to the 2011 hotel booking info: http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...mountain-rally
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 04-28-2011 at 06:23 AM.
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

East Coast

Thumbs up

Jim,
    I'll go first...I'm in and either weekend works, although I would prefer the 13th-15th as it would avoid two short work weeks back to back....that tends to be a busy time of year for guys like PaulR and me ...."Northeast Mountain Rally"? I like it, just let me know if and when you want the "inside mount" stickers
    Hope to see you soon,
    Mike

OG3
    RG715

I always think earlier is better, I can handle the cold (heated seats help ) but want to avoid traffic, we might get a better hotel rate, too.

we'll have to brainstorm about the name, would like to come up with something that sticks, and still has a good ring to it 5 or 10 years from now.

Lewis
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

oh, one more thought....there might be a few of us driving out to the treffen, make sure the timing works to do both events!

Well, that's usually the first weekend of May. You might be able to make it back in time, but your bottom is going to be saying "no" to a long weekend of ....... more driving. Or are you driving out and flying back?
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Jim, as I mentioned at RITV I planned to do the event. Not so sure now with the Mt. Washington Hillclimb only about a month later. Count me in as a definite maybe

I'm sure I can add butt message to my heated, lumbar supported seats It would make for a most excellent couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garfield View Post
    Well, that's usually the first weekend of May. You might be able to make it back in time, but your bottom is going to be saying "no" to a long weekend of ....... more driving. Or are you driving out and flying back?

Reverse drop Rally

I am in.....
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

East Coast
    RED R....now I get it.
    R.E.D RALLY?....
    NORTHEAST

OG3
    RG715

Quote Originally Posted by CurtEgerer View Post
    Jim, as I mentioned at RITV I planned to do the event. Not so sure now with the Mt. Washington Hillclimb only about a month later. Count me in as a definite maybe
    I saw your post about the Rally to the Clouds. This would be the perfect opportunity to get in some practice runs, we will be staying at the bottom of Mt. Washington, and only a few miles from the road to the top. You could also stick around to do the O'Neil Rally School which is a few miles in the other direction. The thing I like about this location is that we are conveniently located to all sorts of adventure.

I'm surprised they are doing the hill climb so close to the NE Forest Rally (usually mid July) that is based only a few miles from there at Sunday River in Bethel, ME. Unless they figure the teams will stay in the area and do both?
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823