Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Northeast 'RED' Mountain Rally

Has anyone driven Rte. 113 in Maine from Fryeburg to Gilead over Evan Notch? I have a feeling that it turns to gravel once it heads up the mountain, but would like to know for sure. It looks like a great road to include in one of the drives if it is tarmac all the way.

I've been culling roads, and this one is on my list, but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

As of now I think I have enough good roads to put together 2 long days and one shorter day for Sunday, but if anyone has local knowledge any unbelievable roads in a 150 mile radius of Mt. Washington that we shouldn't miss - I'm all ears. And by unbelievable, I mean 2nd gear 5k rpm sort of roads.
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garfield View Post
    Has anyone driven Rte. 113 in Maine from Fryeburg to Gilead over Evan Notch? I have a feeling that it turns to gravel once it heads up the mountain
    Well, this sounds like my kind of road. I like the idea of Mt. Washington as the home base. Nice job guys, if I can be of any help let me know, the move is over, ready to party again.
    Paul
    83SC, bone stock (not so much anymore)
    69T, 2.8 RS spec, MFI (Sold, but not forgotten)
    "Wailing Wench"
    s reg. #1009
    rgruppe #506

The mysterious Mr. Ripley returns! Nice to have you back. By your kind of road, did you mean the gravel part? Scott H would like a word....
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Has anyone driven Rte. 113 in Maine from Fryeburg to Gilead over Evan Notch? I have a feeling that it turns to gravel once it heads up the mountain, but would like to know for sure. It looks like a great road to include in one of the drives if it is tarmac all the way.

I've been culling roads, and this one is on my list, but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

As of now I think I have enough good roads to put together 2 long days and one shorter day for Sunday, but if anyone has local knowledge any unbelievable roads in a 150 mile radius of Mt. Washington that we shouldn't miss - I'm all ears. And by unbelievable, I mean 2nd gear 5k rpm sort of roads.
    I've taken that road up to Sunday River many times before Jim, there is no gravel anywhere but it's really tight and narrow with a lot of frost heaves. They close it in the winter because I guess it's just too narrow to plow but it would be fine for our Pcars.

It's not a high speed road by no means, but it's really twisty with quite a few elevation changes. And there's hardly any traffic at all. If you get a chance you should try it out before November.

It's kinda like that road Paul took us on thru the Miles Standish area on the cape, only longer
    Tim G

Early S Reg #1017
    RGruppe #663

73 911T 3.2
    00 Ducati 996 Track Rat
    01 Ducati S4 Monster

Thanks Tim, that's what I was hoping for. We should get together at some point and talk about the roads you did up there on the Ducati during the Eurobike rides. Are you going to Fort Adams tomorrow for the car show?
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Oh, and what about Hurricane Mountain Road in Conway?

It runs from Route 302/16 east thru the Conway Common Lands State Forest to Green Hill Road which takes you to Route 113 in Fryeburg. I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this road before but it's another tight twisty 2 lane.
    Tim G

Early S Reg #1017
    RGruppe #663

73 911T 3.2
    00 Ducati 996 Track Rat
    01 Ducati S4 Monster

Thanks Tim, that's what I was hoping for. We should get together at some point and talk about the roads you did up there on the Ducati during the Eurobike drives. Are you going to Fort Adams tomorrow for the car show?
    I think I'll go tomorrow and meet up with you. I can bring some maps and we can get a better idea of the roads.

I'll be going up on my bike in the morning, I'm doing a little maintenance on my car this weekend and it won't be ready for tomorrow am.
    Tim G

Early S Reg #1017
    RGruppe #663

73 911T 3.2
    00 Ducati 996 Track Rat
    01 Ducati S4 Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Dezzmo View Post
    Oh, and what about Hurricane Mountain Road in Conway?

It runs from Route 302/16 east thru the Conway Common Lands State Forest to Green Hill Road which takes you to Route 113 in Fryeburg. I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this road before but it's another tight twisty 2 lane.
    Yeah, that's how I was planning to get to 113. After Bear Notch Rd and the Kank east to Conway.

edit: Great, I'll see you tomorrow.
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

The mysterious Mr. Ripley returns! Nice to have you back. By your kind of road, did you mean the gravel part?
    That would I, and gravel is what I am talking about. It really isn't bad as long as one is the lead DOG.
    All moved in, bring the Wench to her new home today.
    Paul
    "Wailing Wench"
    s reg. #1009
    rgruppe #506

Oh, by the way Jim, I and several of the gang would be happy just running Bear Notch all day long - time trials anyone?
    Paul
    "Wailing Wench"
    s reg. #1009
    rgruppe #506