Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: philly to cali Oct 2010

Ed, there was a chance i would turn left after Springfield MO to head to Ft Worth for assistance. There was clickety clacking late on the first night, but i was too fatigued to check it out, but in the morning, then the speedo died and the sound was gone, there goes a simple cable, so I just carried on west.

Looking back I have no idea how 18 hours passed by. The radio helped. Analogue dial tuner was better, cos it pulled listenable but not perfect stations in, whereas modern digital dial would not work(my 964). And that 6 ft antenna is a monster.

I have no recollection of what Amarillo TX looks like, although I'm pretty sure I passed it. It rained the first morning, till early afternoon, well past Columbus. The distance, and the rain, made the end of that long first day 100% adrenalin, took a while to sleep.

Jim, I didnt have to worry about Virginia law enforcement on this route. I just got a little spooked in VA, with all the talk. Although I did get pulled over in Illinois. Maybe the officer thought I was on the cellphone, but it was my un-mounted handheld GPS. He let me go.

Day 2 was much easier, I had no worries about the car. Elevation over the continental divide was 5-6,000 ft, Zeniths were still purring. I had planned to do another 18 hrs on day 2. Had booked a stop at Flagstaff AZ, however at about 8pm in New Mexico with high southwest speed limits and trucks on dark un-lit mountain highways, I decided to pull in at Gallup NM instead, and called it a day. This was a reservation town.

That was probably a good idea. Although the next morning, the roads looked pretty tame. . . but you couldnt tell that in the dark.

Day 3 was desert, familiar and easy. Coming back to big city traffic, and the LA freeways, was a snap-back to reality. It was more aggressive driving ! The mountain pass coming into San Bernadino, or something, overlooking the basin/valley, is fantastic !

stayed in Westwood. jogging around the back streets of the neighborhood, you see LA car culture :

Help ma they're gunna wash my car

LA food !

eating was a big part of visiting LA

Tito's tacos

Eagle Rock, Swork Cafe

Unbelievable Reza. My guess is your travel time was dramatically reduced when you came down from 'Rothman's Rallye Height' in the front suspension. . You're my new hero for doing that ride.

As for a Spring 2011 run out to the 'wrong' coast, I park my car nightly pointed West. Might as well let her see what's out there.

I'm in.

Safe home and Godspeed Reza,

-Mike

Great trip Reza. Glad you made it safe and sound with the T purring all the way.

Philippe's - now that's some good eats. Curtisaa turned me on to that one. Thanks buddy.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Reading over the last several posts I think I see a rally name surfacing...."Wrong coast Rally" 2011.

put my name on the list below Mike's
    Dave Raab
    O6 R702 ESR1852
    1986 Carrera

adventure complete, Bertie airborne trailing behind a Simi Valley trucker.

philly to cali Oct 2010

Reza, why is your car on that trailer????did I miss something here?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

hi Ed, just decided not to drive it back. So it got trailered back, open truck, while i jumped on Southwest Airlines. Today the car was dropped off at Walmart, my kind of car ! Started right up and drove it home to its nest.

best
    Reza

Thumbs up

Awesome Reza! It was very nice to meet you at "Streets".

Quote Originally Posted by Ray H. View Post
    Awesome Reza! It was very nice to meet you at "Streets".
    Ray...I still need your email address so I can get a group photo (from the streets) over to you.

Thanks, Ray!

CheersR/Thom
    www.pmletter.com
    www.pmletter.com/classifieds