Thread: BMW back to DTM

BMW back to DTM

http://www.bmw-motorsport.com/ms_en/...to_dtm_in_2012

Well, it will not really be an M3 that they race, it will be one of the spec carbon tubs with Aluminum spaceframe subframes, advanced suspension, big power, and lots of downforce. At least the Germans do silhouette racing right.

Still, good to see more variety in the Benz v. Audi.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Hmm....i remember the days when we were sitting in front of the TV and watched the "old" DTM-heroes burning down the "Nordschleife". Nowadays it´s something like "masked" F1 ?? .....kinda boring to me....(like F1)

Greetings
    Armin

I agree. The Warsteiner E30 M3 was wunderbar! DTM is now like NASCAR, German style.

Quote Originally Posted by Flieger View Post
    DTM is now like NASCAR, German style.
    +1

It's all driven by TV exposure. Real races, like Le Mans, 24h Nürburgring, or the Spa 24h run to competing formulae, happen but once a year, and don't make good television for those with short attention spans. Same problem we have here, with the 12 Hours of Sebring and Daytona 24 Hours run to competing sanctions with zero equipment crossover. I find the current DTM format to be kind of dull. Sad...

At least they are not still using carburetors, pushrods, and steel wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Flieger View Post
    I agree. The Warsteiner E30 M3 was wunderbar! DTM is now like NASCAR, German style.
    And the dumbing down of motorsport continues full speed ahead thanks to NASCAR

NASCAR Bringing DTM to America

Looks like a Twin Beech ran into the rear fender of that "Audi".

As long as the cars stay high-tech I would not mind seeing them. The problem I have with Grand-Am GT now is that the tube frame Mazdas run in the same classification as the production Porsches. To say nothing of the DP class. DTM would be WAY better than the DP things. Faster, too, I reckon.

I've always been a big DTM fan, mainly because of the technology employed in the cars - at one point they were in many ways more advanced than F1 cars. But the new 2012 regulations will mean everybody uses a spec carbon fiber monocoque, common wheelbase, common front and rear overhangs, common front spoilers and rear diffusers, and - egads - body templates ala NASCAR!

I'm not much interested in these 'driver series' where all the cars are basically the same. Motorsport is supposed to be a unique combination of engineering, design, fabrication and driver skill, not driver skill alone. There are plenty of sports around that showcase individual athletic talent. Motorsport shouldn't be one of them.

I hear you. F1 is also becoming a spec series. Ferrari can't even build a V12!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBXUOomynxw