Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Assembling 1966 911- starting to look like a car again

Assembling 1966 911- starting to look like a car again

Restoration is one of those isometric things where your vision is sustained by images of the final product and memories of your enjoyment before disassembling into 4,016 pieces.

Eventually the cardboard boxes become fewer and fewer and the parts begin to coalesce into something resembling transportation.

We are not there yet. . . .but I can see the end.

I apologize for the white dust on the carpet. . . haven't yet completed the Quarry Tile on the floor, hence the chalking of the concrete. The driver side rear panel has to come off again when I install the reproduction door seal, hence the ripples.

Stay tuned over the winter for progress updates! Couldn't have done it without the support and advice of this community.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

John from whom did you get your carpet set? How close it to the original? I have seen some from which the hairs seemed to be too short.

Regards

Richard

Richard, it's from Tony Garcia at Autobahn. I am very pleased with it, it is very similar to the original.

My game..saving Porsches FHernand's Avatar
    Subscribed!
    VINTAGE SPORTSCAR RESTORATIONS INC.
    www.vsrestorations.com
    Phoenix OREGON
    Freddie Hernandez
    freddie@vsrestorations.com
    (541) 535-3304
    www.facebook.com/VintageSportscarRestorations

John, what's your plan for getting the rear seat inserts to fit well? Mine never fit quite right, but since I covered them up with a luggage deposit, it's not an issue anymore.
    Rich
    1966 911 #303872
    ES#1197
    RG#478

Rich, that is a fine question. Concours judges don't see safety equipment so I installed receivers for 7/16-20 bolts in the rear seat buckets in precisely the same location that the factory did in 1968. Of course, by 1967 those seat surrounds were gone, so it was a simple matter for the factory to locate the seat belts there. Which means that unfortunately in my case I am going to have to put a hole right through the outboard side of that piece. The remainder will be held securely to the carpet with glue-- I am thinking of using a bar clamp type arrangement to hold it securely to the carpeting while the glue dries.

In the photo above you can see the horsehair pad that makes up the rigid side of the surround. The sides are literally sewn to the seat base. The seat base is otherwise identical to the ones in later cars. They are just laying in there for the photo as I haven't yet summoned the courage to put the holes for the belts. Or glue them in.

After you strip the car down to bare metal and then prime and schutz it is HARD to spray glue on it! I am really wrestling with putting glue on the trunk walls for the square weave carpet. . . but that is exactly what the factory did and they weren't too careful either!

Thanks for checking in on this thread and I will keep the updates coming as I make progress.

Freddy, what do you think of the Irish Green? In my case it is the original color of the car, I really enjoyed your series on the 911T.

My game..saving Porsches FHernand's Avatar
    I think that Irish Green is a fabulous color. When this color is done right...meaning good prep work and application, it shows so deep and rich. After having doen Max's 911T in Glasurit, I have a great appreciation for this color. I must say, however, that I have seen several variations of Irish Green. I have done this color in different paint brands and they all are a little different in hue. I look forward to seeing the progress on your 66 Irish Green. By the way, you are going to keep in the original color right?
    VINTAGE SPORTSCAR RESTORATIONS INC.
    www.vsrestorations.com
    Phoenix OREGON
    Freddie Hernandez
    freddie@vsrestorations.com
    (541) 535-3304
    www.facebook.com/VintageSportscarRestorations

John, the 67 S also had those seat surrounds, maybe the normals didn't.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Those rear seat surrounds were standard on 911s in '65--I can't imagine the '66 wouldn't have them if the '67 911S did have them.

Here's a picture from the 1965 Posche North America Brochure.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

My 67 Normal (SWT) did not have the seat surrounds.