Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Assembling 1966 911- starting to look like a car again

A related question here is : did the 67 Normal have the stiffener in the rear of the door pockets?

The 67S had the carry over of the "de luxe" interior features such as the seat surrounds and the stiffener, whereas the 67 Normal and 912 didn't have at least the surrounds. I wonder whether the stiffener was deleted?

Those photos are a big help, I have never seen the '65 photo before. I don't know whether it's the photography, but it looks like the seat belt eye bolts are white, or plated. They are definitely cad plated underneath the rubber coating but the only ones I have seen are rubber coated on the outside. Maybe it was the prototype or a trick of photography-- although I can also see the Factory dipping them in plastic to quiet the seat belts down. "Hans, I can't stand ze racket!"
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

John, a 66 I did a couple years ago did not have the pocket stiffner.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 304065 View Post
    I don't know whether it's the photography, but it looks like the seat belt eye bolts are white, or plated. They are definitely cad plated underneath the rubber coating but the only ones I have seen are rubber coated on the outside. Maybe it was the prototype or a trick of photography-- although I can also see the Factory dipping them in plastic to quiet the seat belts down. "Hans, I can't stand ze racket!"
    My '65 came with what seem to be the original seat belts/shoulder harnesses and two of the eyebolts match the ones in the brochure but they are black plastic coated. the other two are a different design and don't quie match each other.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

A little progress today. . . .

Got the 50mm hoses for the Webasto installed along with Webasto electric thermostat. The rest of the Webasto parts are up at Damon's waiting to be blasted. I will handle the cadmium plating of those pieces myself. I have a NOS firing box and resistor that I scored from Gary Emory a few years back and saved, these should be great. I have to sort out the Webasto wiring harness in the next couple days, it's pretty dirty but complete.

Also got the trunk lights wired up, I ended up soldering a ground wire to the switch rather than using the crimp like the doors, just too hard to maniupulate. Spliced the ground wire to the ground at the bulb and installed the lenses, good!

Made good progress on the engine electrical panel-- that voltage regulator had incredible surface corrosion, I brought it back as close to original as I could get it. Still need a coil sticker, notice the correct coil terminals. Need a stamp for the Ballast Resistor Relay. And I need a sticker for the fuel pump and a new wire. The rest of the wires will be sorted out when I complete the engine harness, I have all the supplies.

Inside is on hold, Damon is holding my ashtray bracket hostage in New Hampshire. Must have been something I said about Vermont Public Radio.

Made some progress locating the holes for the seat belt eye bolts. The parcel shelf and rear panels are going to Tony Garcia along with the door panels, they are very nice and would be good for someone in Preservation Class, but won't work here.

That's about it for today! Hopefully I will get to lights this weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

John,

How are you going to do the stamp for the relay?

John
    1959 356 Coupe, 1600 Super, sold
    1960 356 Roaster, race car, SCCA, sold
    1960 356 Roadster, show car, sold.
    1962 356 Cab, show car, sold.
    1965 911 #301111, Red Book Vol 1 "Cover Car," owned 54 years.
    1967 911 #307347, bare-bones, some road wear, a little surface rust, and a few dents..., owned 14 years.
    1970 914/6GT, (Sold - ran the last three Rennsports)owned 30 years.

Photography Site: JohnStraubImageWorks.com

Registry #983
    R Gruppe #741

John,

The graphics were posted by Henry here, a simple rubber stamp in white paint should work.

From my BHKZ thread elsewhere, I thought I would reprise the photo. . . of course this is a 64 prototype with a Motorola VR but you get the idea. . .

John any updates or are you in a hibernation?

Richard

Richard, next week there will be major updates! (Playing with PIKO DCC train set this week!)

Ho hum. . . making slow but steady progress.

Painted the inside of the bumperettes with silver Eastwood Rust Inhibitor (match to OE finish) and sprayed them with two thick coats of Wuerth cavity wax.

Gotta hook up the oil tank sender, that wire fell down just as I triggered the shutter release. . .

we want more pictures ..

Richard