Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Evolution of 911330113 Continues

interior

Roy Nielsen did the carpet, headliner and seats.
    Factory bolt-in roll bar courtesy of David Mohlman.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Might as well be an RS as it strongly resembles one. In fact, since the U.S. couldn't have an RS, maybe it was ordered to be as close, or nearly so, as we could get here. I note several further RS Touring/lighweight bolt-on mods made since you've received it Leon. Again, nice! Thanks.

-Allen-
    Last edited by Allen Henderson; 11-19-2010 at 08:18 PM.

ergonomics

Allen,
    I agree. The car was built in September 1972 and the RS was introduced at the Paris Auto Show in October. For example, the fenders were "sectioned and widened" and that allowed the factory to be comfortable selling it with 7" wheels all around. Also of interest...7's in front because the idea of having different sizes front and rear first appeared with the RS, I believe.

By the way, here's a better photo of your extended hub. I really like the additional finger clearance between the wheel and the dash.

Quote Originally Posted by LKreg View Post
    Allen,
    I agree. The car was built in September 1972 and the RS was introduced at the Paris Auto Show in October. For example, the fenders were "sectioned and widened" and that allowed the factory to be comfortable selling it with 7" wheels all around. Also of interest...7's in front because the idea of having different sizes front and rear first appeared with the RS, I believe.

By the way, here's a better photo of your extended hub. I really like the additional finger clearance between the wheel and the dash.
    Well the extended hub is nice on a LWB (ever notice how close the wheel is to the driver on rally cars?) and necessary on a SWB (unless you wear thin gloves) your fingernails are definitely going to hit and scratch the dash). Thanks.

-Allen-

Allen,

Was that one of my old aluminum hubs? If so, maybe I should make some more of those puppies.

Leon. Great car! I love the little baby flares. Can you take some overall photos for us too>?
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Quote Originally Posted by Cornpanzer View Post
    Allen,

Was that one of my old aluminum hubs? If so, maybe I should make some more of those puppies.

Leon. Great car! I love the little baby flares. Can you take some overall photos for us too>?
    Hi Dave, Yes, yours. Was still a fair amount of work to make one. But, yes, you should! Thanks.

-Allen-

outside photos

Started the engine today for the first time in over a year. Started right up and sounds great. Able to do a short test ride before the rain began. Rain is forecast to last all weekend.
    I will be happy to shoot some overall photos next week. If you have any specific shots in mind just let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by LKreg View Post
    Allen,
    I agree. The car was built in September 1972 and the RS was introduced at the Paris Auto Show in October. For example, the fenders were "sectioned and widened" and that allowed the factory to be comfortable selling it with 7" wheels all around. Also of interest...7's in front because the idea of having different sizes front and rear first appeared with the RS, I believe.....

Well, your car would have been built right along with several RS prototypes which were going down the line at the same time. Update: actually I see eight protoypes (though with RS chassis numbers) built thru August 1972, no RSs built in September. I'm sure you and others have tried to figure out exactly who spec.'d and ordered this car? Thanks.

-Allen-
    Last edited by Allen Henderson; 11-20-2010 at 06:56 AM.

Unincorporated Arapahoe County, Colorado, USA
    Leon,

Great car and nicely done.

An oil system question:
    When Porsche installed the “racing oil cooler”, it seems to be the excellent ‘72S cooler.
    With this cooler, was the external thermostat like ’73 at the tank or as the 911 is today with the thermostat/pressure relief valve ahead of the RR tire?

Best,
    Grady

Hi Grady, good question, in the last photo of post 17, a 3/4 right rear view shows the thermostat in the position ahead of the rt/rr wheel. Does that mean they had already planned on going to that set-up in 72? Why didn't they use the 73 set-up on the oil tank? The oil cooler itself seems to be the later style carrera cooler. Was that also in the planning stages at that early of a date?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.