Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Evolution of 911330113 Continues

Unincorporated Arapahoe County, Colorado, USA
    Ed,

I agree that is the far more robust Carrera cooler with the angled fittings.

The reason I asked is the unique ’73 thermostat at the oil tank fitting.
    That device does not include a pressure relief valve.
    Porsche seems to have deemed it unnecessary as all the 911s (including the RS) equipped with a front cooler used the trombone cooler.
    It is able to handle over-pressure.

The RSR was a different animal with the separate pressure relief valve in the engine compartment.

So … my question is; did Porsche simply deliver this 911S with a standard ’73 front trombone cooler?

If they installed a full-fin cooler, did they use the thermostat/pressure relief valve assembly as currently installed?

Was there some other consideration for having a pressure relief valve if they installed a full-fin cooler?

The current system on this 911S is the best Porsche has delivered.

In ’73, all our ’73 911 customers who had front coolers got the ‘72S cooler replacing the trombone.
    When cool weather hit in the fall of ‘73, all had to revert to the trombone because the lack of pressure relief valve blew-up the fragile ‘72S coolers.

Fortunately, the ’74 system with the thermostat/pressure relief valve came available.
    Just like what is on this 911S.

Best,
    Grady

Gents,

May I suggest we allow Leon to continue to post photos and details about his extraordinary car here and not hijack this thread to discuss the timeline of RS production & other non-sequiturs.

Why not open fresh, dedicated threads about those subjects and discuss them there.

Respectfully,

JZG
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Leon,
    The first time I saw this car I knew it was special. Going back to the original color, the subtle add-ons and detail changes further compliment your rare survivor. Congratulations on a stunning finish to your project.
    H

Primer color for correct tangerine

Harvey,
    In addition to thanking you for your usual perfect wheel refinishing, I want to thank you for your advice on how to get the correct tangerine color. Rob removed the paint layer by layer to get to the gray primer you said would be there. Dave Pollard experimented with the primer in shades of light gray you told us about and it worked just as you predicted.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Can you tell me about the bumper molding? Very nice.
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

Congratulations on a specTACular car
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Instagram: @Mark0Morrissey

Leon, I have to commend you on a truly impressive restoration of what is a truly unique early 911.

I was the third owner of this car back in 2000 having purchased it in its then fresh silver skin and put in my own share of time, money and effort into bringing it slowly back to what I considered its more original configuration.

As you know the car stands out among other stock 73s thanks to its unusual baby flares and was often the subject of curiosity around other early 911 owners. The Porsche insignia delete also gave it a cleaner look at the rear but it was probably the Andial upgraded 2.7 engine which provided the greatest pleasure and I regularly took it out for its weekly work out in the Santa Monica hills.

It's nice to see it in its original colour. Tangerine is now one of my favourites and it works well with the matching rear bumpers, sport exhaust and brushed alu bumper trim. You have clearly given a great deal of attention to detail to bring about your own interpretation of original. A fabulous job. It’s good to see it in such devoted hands.

Enjoy
    Nick

Andial

Nick,
    Great to hear from you...thanks. The way it drives is still the best part about the car!
    The Andial build to 2.7 RS specs was expensive in 1990 (approx $15k). I wonder what that would convert to in today's dollars.
    Took some liberties with the suspension--but like almost everything else, could be reversed at a later date.

Hello Leon,

Absolutely incredible car!

I am wondering about the exhaust on the car. I am restoring a 73 and the exhaust is shot so I am looking at options. The factory Dansk stainless is proving difficult to source at the moment. Any suggestion that you might have would be valued.

Thank you.

'73 muffler

This muffler was built by Tom Martenot (Deutsche Motor Sport, Concord, CA) using the Dansk stainless that was on the car.
    He has a lot of experience and knows what kind of baffles etc are needed depending on the engine.
    Last edited by LKreg; 11-28-2010 at 09:51 AM.