Thread: 998 caught testing

998 caught testing

2012 Porsche 911 Caught Testing

They say the wheelbase is 4 inches longer. That is a lot but it does look a bit longer behind the door to the eye. I hope they left the engine where it was and moved the rear wheels back (or better still, the transaxle drive flanges) like they did for the first LWB models. This would decrease the polar moment of inertia and make for quicker turn-in and make the car more stable mid-corner. If they just stretched the car it will just be slower to turn and need a larger radius.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Unless it is the Ruf model, I think the 6 will stay. The racecars are still using it, even the Hybrid.

While Porsche will continue to offer the flat 6s, with an increase of 4" in the WB, the mid engine design is at hand....and a flat 8 or shallow v-8 will most likely be coming to keep the 911 competitive on the world's tracks, and to compete with Astons, Ferraris, Jags, Masers, etc on the road. It may not be in 2012, but within a year or 2 I think.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Mid-engine would be nice. I am sure some racer would eventually custom fabricate a mount for a good air-cooled 6 in there, or at least a GT3 engine.

Similar Threads

1. I have been caught AGAIN.......Just quickly
    By ST Man in forum General Info
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 06-30-2014, 05:35 PM
  2. It's about time we caught up with the ROW
    By 50/50 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-04-2013, 03:36 PM
  3. caught in traffic....no problem, swim around it !!
    By John Z Goriup in forum Other Car Cultures
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-20-2012, 07:27 AM
  4. As Long As You Don't Get Caught...
    By sithot in forum General Info
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-22-2010, 11:08 AM