Page 12 of 91 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Porsche 914/6 collectability

Greetings everyone. New member on this forum but a regular on 914World.com and PelicanParts.com. I love these cars. Here is my '71 original 914-6 with 89K miles on the clock and the log book to support the miles. I am the 3rd owner and the car is on its 3rd CA owner since sold new.

My six was originally metallic gold but the 1st owner painted it back within the first year of ownership and sold the car in '74. The second owner then kept the car until I bought it in February of 2010. Unfortunately, the stock 2.0 six was pulled in the early 80's and a 3,0 with Webers went in. I have since purchased an original '71 six engine case (pristine) that is about 30 numbers off my original case, but at least correct for the car. Although at this time I have no plans to install the 2,0 engine.

I plan to sell the 3,0 (soon I hope) and buy a stock 3,2 with Motronic for the car. Ultimately the car will be media blasted and refinished in Irish Green or Light Ivory, still unsure about color, although I am about 99.9% sure it won't be metallic gold - just does not work for me.

CIMG0138.jpg
    Last edited by cairo94507; 08-20-2011 at 07:00 AM.

Hello raj,

Thanks. I have fought with myself over the color since the day I bought it; before actually, as it took me 9 months to put the deal together! That car could have come any other color and it would absolutely go back to stock. But the gold just does not work for me.

Now as to the 3,2 I assume you mean why not leave the 3,0 with Webers in the car? The answer is easy (for me) as my second six had the stock 2.0 with Webers and was just a bitch to keep balanced and in tune. Always smelled like gas and popped and backfired occasionally. Now, if I did have my original engine case I would still not put it back in the car. I would just keep it in storage. I bought the '71 914-6 case that is very close to my serial number just to have in the event I ever want to make it period correct. But to drive, I want the reliability and performance of the stock 3,2 which I consider to be one of Porsche's finest motors. I want to just get in and turn the key and drive it 8 hours with no problems. The 3,2 will fit very easily into the car with hardly no modifications.

I plan to use an original six transaxle converted to side shifter with after market linkage and shifter to allow it to shift as good as possible. The suspension will be basically stock with a couple of mild upgrades and the brakes are essentially going to be period correct but slightly improved ala PMB Performance. 914-6 GT rear calipers with vented/drilled rotors and early S aluminum front calipers with vented/drilled rotors. New lines and master cylinder. Bilstein struts up front with the spindle raised as much as possible (17-19MM?) to allow for better suspension geometry when lowered while still using the 15x6 deep Fuchs I have. I will add a front oil cooler, likely an RX-7 unit with stock front bumper and valance modified to allow air flow and yet maintain as much of a factory appearance as possible. Jet-coated headers to fit the 3,2 with heat exchangers and hopefully a relatively stock looking banana muffler also jet-coated, exiting in the stock location.

The body will remain stock and will keep the side marker lights and antenna hole. I will update the doors to the later doors for a little added protection and better window mechanisms. The interior will remain basically stock with the addition of a combo gauge to replace the original fuel gauge. Stock steering wheel recovered and padded to make the rim a bit thicker while still keeping the stock look. I do not listen to music when in a six but need to find a correct Blaupunkt radio that I can have refurbished. My original radio is gone and there is some kind of Sony deck in the dash that has to go.
    Last edited by cairo94507; 08-25-2011 at 05:24 AM.

on Pelican matching #s rustbucket 914-6

looks terrible, probably need to build a car around the VIN plate

Help ma they're gunna wash my car

I agree with Raj Mike... very rare and looks nice. It'll grow on the wife and, if it doesn't, you can always give it to me.
    Eric - Sandy, Utah
    71 911
    914-6/GT
    914-6/ORV
    87 944 Spec 1
    Porsche Truck
    62 Beetle
    80 VW “Caddy” Pickup
    72 R75/5 Toaster Tank
    PMB Performance
    We'll Make Your Calipers New Again
    Love Us On Facebook

This thread has been quiet for too long - time to stir the pot.
    Something old, something new,
    Something borrowed....,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

.....Something blue.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

...something "Yellow"?

Beautiful Blue there Scott.

Eric - Sandy, Utah
    71 911
    914-6/GT
    914-6/ORV
    87 944 Spec 1
    Porsche Truck
    62 Beetle
    80 VW “Caddy” Pickup
    72 R75/5 Toaster Tank
    PMB Performance
    We'll Make Your Calipers New Again
    Love Us On Facebook

sump'in blue: beautiful car/color from the banner on dave's blog. where does it live now ?

some goof-ball in Chicago owns it now.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

ha. awesome. at least we know he'll be driving it lots.