Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Skis

Billy Kidd with Dynamics.

billy kidd 1970.jpg

Porsche 911S Targa Florio 1967 - Bernard Cahier/Jean-Claude Killy

Apparently Killy and Cahier took 1st in GT class and 7th overall. Wow-

Le Mans, France – Jean-Claude Killy, accompanied by Rolex CEO Bruno Meier, will be on the footbridge of Race Control to wave the French flag beginning the 2010 24 Hours of Le Mans. Killy who rose to fame as a World Champion Alpine Skier, and Triple Gold Medalist at the 1968 Olympics at Grenoble, France, also competed in the 1969 running of the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Killy and Downhill skiing:

Triple gold medalist in the Olympic Games (Downhill, Slalom, and Giant Slalom), Grenoble France 1968
    Four-time World Champion (Downhill, Giant Slalom, Slalom, and Combined) in 1968
    Double World Champion (Downhill and Combined, Portillo Chile 1966
    Winner of the Downhill World Cup in 1967 and 1968
    18 Victories: 6 Downhill, 7 Giant Slalom and 5 Slalom
    24 Podiums

Killy and Motor Racing:

1967 Targa Floria. Killy teamed up with the late Bernard Cahier racing under the alias "Jean-Claude". He finished seventh overall in a Porsche 911 S and won the GT Category.
    1968 Monza 1000km. Killy finished second in GT with Jean Guichet in a Porsche 911T. Exerpt from an article that appeared in Sport Auto: "Jean-Claude Killy confirmed the promise seen in the Targa last year. He was surrounded by a host of reporters and photographers, and seemed a bit embarrased by it all aw he was afraid of annoying the die-hard racers and his rivals who had much better results to their name on four wheels than him."
    1968 Nurburgring 1000km. Third in GT with Jean Guichet in a Porsche 911 T. Killy and Guichet led the category at one moment but were delayed by a broken steering wheel spoke due to the fact that Guichet did not like being belted in and hung on to the steering wheel in the corners.
    1969 Le Mans 24 Hours. Jean-Claude Killy shared the wheel of an Alpine A210 (under 1600cc SP Category) with the late Bob Wollek, Military and University skiing champion and member of the France Team from 1966 to 1968. The "ski team" was retired from the race in the 20th hour with a broken suspension component.
    Last edited by Jens; 12-26-2010 at 05:21 PM.

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

He doesn't so much sit back as he squats under power out of the turns. Nice pic of Billy and them DH skis. Yowza. He's a homeboy from right here in Stowe! I saw him out in Steamboat recently... too much sun. Great photo Curt.

Quote Originally Posted by Strato 102 View Post
    There certainly was a lot of merit to box section, fiberglass skis where they were actually laid up during construction as opposed to a sheet of cured fiberglass as a laminate. Do you know anything about the car killy is driving? Looks more like a track car but the rear wiper is interesting. I wonder if he sits back coming out of the turns.

RGruppe #183

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Killy and Downhill skiing:

Triple gold medalist in the Olympic Games (Downhill, Slalom, and Giant Slalom), Grenoble France 1968
    Four-time World Champion (Downhill, Giant Slalom, Slalom, and Combined) in 1968
    Double World Champion (Downhill and Combined, Portillo Chile 1966
    Winner of the Downhill World Cup in 1967 and 1968
    18 Victories: 6 Downhill, 7 Giant Slalom and 5 Slalom
    24 Podiums
    And the US Pro Ski Tour title in 1973. OK, not quite the World Cup, but to come out of retirement like that, jump into a non-familiar format and beat Spider Sabich, Tyler Palmer and the rest was fairly impressive. I've got 8mm movie film of the race at Boyne Mtn. Need to convert that to digital sometime.

Jens, maybe you recall this. In thinking back about the VO Slaloms I seem to remember that they finally discontinued the ski. But as instructors, we could special order them on a pro-form and they came with 'KVC' graphics even tho they were full-blown VO Slaloms under the skin. K2 wanted it to appear that the instructors were all on their new KVCs!
    Last edited by CurtEgerer; 12-26-2010 at 05:21 PM.

No sheet, I'd forgotten that. I loved the Pro Tour. Bernie Knauss!

You know what though, with all this modern ski technology, the resins, carbon fiber, kevlar, titanal alloys, high carbon steel, snowboard derived parabolic sidecuts, base compounds, fluoride waxes, etc., after all that the best performing and highest technologically developed skis still use wood cores. Old fashioned, organic, grown out of the ground wood. Kinda makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. Heh, heh.

RGruppe #183

I think the main reason you can't find VR17's (and VO Slaloms) is because they only lasted 1 season, at best. Then they were completely worn out and you just tossed them in the trash. I know I threw out at least one pair A good article on the legendary VR17:

dynamic vr17 01.jpg
    dynamic vr17 02.jpg

Wow Curt. Pretty frikkin' cool.

RGruppe #183

Here's my only Dynamic relic-
    Attached Images Attached Images

RGruppe #183

And then there were boots. I've skied on Lange for almost 40 years. I was shocked when I saw this article about the revolutionary Banshee and realized it was released in 1973! Damn, I AM old. Couldn't wait to upgrade from my yellow-liner Lange Comps (with the optional Lange version of Jet Stix riveted to the shell )

Lange Banshee 1.jpg

Lange Banshee 2.jpg

Lange Banshee 3.jpg

Here is a Dynamic pin on some NOS Rossignol ROC 550 skis. In my opinion, the prettiest skis ever made. Foam core.

A friend of mine was a racer from way back. In his parent's Vermont house living room was a picture of him in a starting gate. Along side the start hut was a big red box that had the Heuer Logo on it. Propped up along the box were a pair of VR17s and a pair of Spalding Formidables. I thought this was so cool and I used to stare at it any time I could. My friend was really flattered. To this day I ask about that cool picture of the Heuer....I mean, him.
    Attached Images Attached Images