Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Skis

A combination of Porsche and skiing that should never have happened, yuk!
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BOX-Vint...item1c2275128f

Here is a hard core skiing/automobile trivia question: the photo involved has a copyright so I can't link it but it's among the excellent photos in the "Lemans 1966" thread. The thread contains Sebring pictures and the third row on page two has a photo with a blonde in go-go boots and a giant Hurst shifter. Who is she and what is her connection to skiing?

The gal is of course Linda Vaughan 'The Hurst Shifter Girl' ...
    She is a wonderful lady to this day. And helped many a racer (not only drag racers) through her connections in the racing would...........

Not being a skier, I have no idea of her ski connections......

Cheers
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

I heard that she was the sister of C.B. Vaughn. C.B. Vaughn was a pioneering speed skier and founded the once immensely popular skiwear co., CB Sports. I have always been skeptical because the spelling of the last name is different and Linda always struck me as a Southern or California girl while C.B. was a Vermont boy.

More Porsches and skis.

This is Pepi Stiegler and his 911 at Jackson Hole in 1973:

Pepi Stiegler 1973.jpg

And this is Annemarie Proell - 6 World Cup titles, 1971-75 and 1979! Probably the reason I bought Atomic skis in 1972 or so I broke my original bright orange Atomic slalom skis, but still have the day-glo red GS Dominators Atomic sent me under warranty.

Annemarie Proell Porsche Carrera RS 1973.jpg

Anne Marie Proell Atomic 1973.jpg

My Atomics. A fairly exotic ski in the USA at the time.

Atomic Dominator SL 001.jpg

eBay score on 1985-86 K2 VO Slaloms. Nice surprise when I removed the period-incorrect bindings that had been mounted.

K2 VO Slalom Jan 2012 a.jpg

K2 VO Slalom Jan 2012 flex sticker b.jpg

Curt, I never skied a pair of skis more than one season, but I did have two pairs of VOs for two seasons. They were so good!

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

I'm surprised no one posted Rossignol wood skis, the ones with the darker wood inlayed stripes

Cool

I think I know the ones, from 3 or 4 years ago I think. Beautiful retro wood graphics. You should post them so we know exactly which ones you mean! It's a golden opportunity.
    Last edited by Jens; 01-12-2012 at 07:03 AM.

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Curt, I never skied a pair of skis more than one season, but I did have two pairs of VOs for two seasons. They were so good!
    I've still got my 204's from 1985. Beat the crap out of those. They were like surgical instruments on ice and hardpack. I really want to put some bindings on them and take them out for a run. Why? Not sure. Guess I'm a masochist because I'm pretty sure I'll hurt myself

I was at Boyne Mtn yesterday and stopped by Shaggy's Copper Country Skis. Completely handmade skis. The place is an awesome little hole in the wall. Just a guy and his wife cranking out these beautiful boards. With much of the ski production moved to China, cool to have a local manufacturer. I'm going to demo a few next time and will probably buy a pair.

Good review on the Brockway, which is the one I was mainly looking at:

Review of SCCS Brockway

141594-500x375.jpg
    Last edited by CurtEgerer; 01-12-2012 at 04:51 AM.